1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some 1919a4 auctions on GB. Having read the description, most with a reserve are listing a reserve price.

Yet people bid $200 when the reserve price is stated at $500.

its not like GB doesn't have watch lists...

what am I missing?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You are not missing a thing

Having run auctions on GB since '01, I can say truely there is no reason what people will do on a auction board. It defies reason (my experiance) on a weekly basis. No matter how well written your ad is, a question will arise.
Reading is FUNDEMENTAL. I hate repling that way (I do want to make a sale) but sometimes that has to be the answer, sorry to say.
Hey, you are in sales and dealing with the public, learn the ropes (oh gawd) or get out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Having run auctions on GB since '01, I can say truely there is no reason what people will do on a auction board. It defies reason (my experiance) on a weekly basis. No matter how well written your ad is, a question will arise.
Reading is FUNDEMENTAL. I hate repling that way (I do want to make a sale) but sometimes that has to be the answer, sorry to say.
Hey, you are in sales and dealing with the public, learn the ropes (oh gawd) or get out.
+1....I once sold a '83 camaro on ebay and the first sentence in my description started with "No engine or transmission" and sure enough...10 days later...at the end of the auction the winning bidder ....after out bidding about 6 people....emails me and want's to know if I think the car is drivable for a 300 mile trip back to the army base he is at.......never heard another peep from the jerk!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Should'a told him, "Sure, no problem! The steering will be hard and you'll have to literally stand on the brakes to get them to work, but yeah, no problem!
Just get used to tailgating the guy that's pulling you!:D

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a nervous wreck after towing/being towed for 50 miles or more in bad traffic! Ever had a guy on a motorcycle almost cut in between that 15 foot gap??!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy shizzit, that was close!!! I think he left a tiny BLACK MARK on the bumper of the tow car in front of me with his front tire. I didn't see it there before!!

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
I wonder how many listings would actually be on gunbroker if you took off all the crap that has been relisted more than 10 times because the reserve or the starting bid is insane. I feel like I have most of the overpriced crap memorized.

Reactions: BobNPrc

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah you do see a lot of items relisted time after time. I guess the sellers are looking for that one guy who just HAS to have their widget at any price. Selling on evilbay is the same, guys will bid $1 on an item clearly worth $100 and maybe hope the seller will offer to sell it to them for their bid if it's the only one. Dunno. But you're right, dealing with the public is certainly interesting to say the least.

And I like the sellers who state in their ad "Reserve will not be disclosed" and I've yet to figure that one out. Either put a minimum or tell what the reserve is. I've bid on items where I was the highest bidder but still didn't meet the reserve, and later find out the reserve amount was just a few dollars more than my INCREMENTED bid but still well below my max amount I bid. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Either put a minimum or tell what the reserve is. I've bid on items where I was the highest bidder but still didn't meet the reserve, and later find out the reserve amount was just a few dollars more than my INCREMENTED bid but still well below my max amount I bid. Go figure.
Yup. Been there. I wrote to one seller and asked him straight up what the reserve was on an item on which I was the only bidder. I had bid more than the minimum opening bid - actually more than the reserve bid - but since I was the only bidder it only showed the opening bid level. I offered the reserve price and the guy accepted it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
People will throw out a lower price so that if it doesn't sell there's the off chance that the seller might haggle with them to come to an agreement on a price that both parties can live with.

It's up to the seller if he wants to haggle or not, the item is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just because you want to sell it for $1,000 doesn't mean that someone is willing to buy it for that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
People will throw out a lower price so that if it doesn't sell there's the off chance that the seller might haggle with them to come to an agreement on a price that both parties can live with.

It's up to the seller if he wants to haggle or not, the item is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just because you want to sell it for $1,000 doesn't mean that someone is willing to buy it for that.

Yep; I've offered a lower price on an item that's been relisted many times with a high reserve in hopes of a bit of haggling. Some folks used to list their stuff high just to get interested parties to counter without buying, then take the discussion to emails and sell without actually going through GB and payinf the fees; don't know if that happens anymore or not. Hell, I've offered an insanely low amount for a couple of items just because the B.I.N. price listed was WAY crazy in my opinion... just my attempt at balancing the universe out! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
......, the item is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just because you want to sell it for $1,000 doesn't mean that someone is willing to buy it for that.
No truer words.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Man I have a ***** about this. Granted it is different.. I hate when an ******* puts photos up of **** not included. Granted I read the description. This is just a ploy hoping some dumb **** bids on a photo not ever reading anything. That's just SORRY! Even worse the fucker gets pissed and says learn how to read. It was said that it takes all kinds in America, it was also said unfortunately we have some of all of em...

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
bidding

I made my living for the last five years selling mostly on evilbay, I've never understood why people bother with the reserve BS, just tell me what you want for it, when I list something I would rather it sell a little lower then not at all, but I do my home work and see what things are really selling for before I list it, I always find it funny when you see 20 items listed at the same price then a couple at half the price, same item, wanna guess which one actually sells, but there are some really stupid people so I guess it's worth the lister's time to list the item high hoping one of those stupid or desperate people will take the bait, the one thing I do like about GB is the no sniping thing, ebay would be much better if they did that, cut out all that last second sniping BS, it would make buying a lot more fun, I usually know how much I'm willing to spend on an item and just bid that up front, I hate playing games.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
... the one thing I do like about GB is the no sniping thing, ebay would be much better if they did that, cut out all that last second sniping BS,....
You've got my vote on that. Make the bidding honest. The seller would probably make a little more, the buyers would have a better opportunity to get the items they want to buy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Man I have a * about this. Granted it is different.. I hate when an *** puts photos up of ** not included. Granted I read the description. This is just a ploy hoping some dumb ** bids on a photo not ever reading anything. That's just SORRY! Even worse the fucker gets pissed and says learn how to read. It was said that it takes all kinds in America, it was also said unfortunately we have some of all of em...
This has also increased noticeably in the past year or two. I agree with your reasoning - I can't imagine people have suddenly become too lazy to move the glocks or spare mags out of the pic.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have never placed a reserve on anything I have placed on auction. If I put something for auction, I want the person to know that if they bid on it, they stand a chance of owning it. No reason to make them guess on what I want for it, let the market determine the value. Simple huh?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Wow...There's a lot of people in this 10 year old thread that are not around anymore....I miss those days. 😔

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Yea , I do to...He was one of my favorite people to meet at the Creek...I also miss Rugman.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have never placed a reserve on anything I have placed on auction. If I put something for auction, I want the person to know that if they bid on it, they stand a chance of owning it. No reason to make them guess on what I want for it, let the market determine the value. Simple huh?
I also never use a reserve I start the auction at the lowest price I am willing to sell it for.
Greg

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Been a long time since I’ve read Dan’s writings. Miss him.
Yeah I am with you there! I lucked out and got a MG42 from Dangola's last group of imports. I think he told me he paid something like $0.33 or $0.86 per pound for the MG42 parts kits. I was happy at my $495 price tag! I just wish I would have bought a few but I was just out of college and not many nickels to rub together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts