1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think he is in the clear, more or less.

Its the same as selling a piece of tubing to build a Sten. Its an 80% that could be used for a dummy, a full auto, or a semi(with lots of work). Its not illegal in itself, unless you go further, or the ATF thinks you intend to....

·
Registered
37 Posts
As it sits, it's just a piece of steel.

Don't worry, at $200, non-engraved and built-to-order, he won't be around long.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
What? This guy is saying it's OK to build a semi-auto OR A FULL AUTO from this not registered prior to 1986 side plate. He says "once completed you must fill out some paperwork with the ATF declaring you have it". If it's semi-auto there is no paoerwork requirement that I know of. If it's full auto its surrender the gun and go directly to jail time.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Selling an 80% sideplate isn't what bothers me - it's his disclaimer:
Once you complete your receiver please remember to register it with the ATF. It is legal to build your own receiver as long as you are allow to own a firearm. Once it is completed you must fill out some paperwork with the ATF declaring that you have it.
This misinformation is dangerous. Some uninformed, well-meaning person could believe this and get himself in trouble. I can just picture some poor slob spending $200 on the plate, finishing it according to the seller's directions, and contacting the BATF to tell them he's got a completed plate and wants to fill out the paperwork.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Armorer said:
What? This guy is saying it's OK to build a semi-auto OR A FULL AUTO from this not registered prior to 1986 side plate. He says "once completed you must fill out some paperwork with the ATF declaring you have it". If it's semi-auto there is no paoerwork requirement that I know of. If it's full auto its surrender the gun and go directly to jail time.
MFG with a LE letter can build a F/A gun.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Mfg with a LE letter can build a FA gun

Technically true. A licensed machine gun manufacturer can also. I wonder if this guy is telling the customers that. I wonder how many people in law enforcement would require a belt fed machine gun?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Class #7 Mfg. to the rescue....

Alright.....Contacted this guy and advised him that his interpetation of the law is incorrect,that he is asking for trouble from the ATF,FBI and he should get this item off ebay prontito before he gets himself or someone else in trouble. Lets wait and see......

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm gonna watch the plate just for kicks. I gotta see the fool that pays that much for an unengraved plate.

Side note the dummbas* seller should have a disclaimer that unless you are a MFG w/ a LE letter you cannot build a FA gun. Do not pass go do not collect $200, go directly to jail.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Side note the dummbas* seller should have a disclaimer that unless you are a MFG w/ a LE letter you cannot build a FA gun. Do not pass go do not collect $200, go directly to jail.[/QUOTE]

Just for the sake of information a manufacturer does not have to have a letter from law enforcement to construct or purchase a machine gun.

The letter is only required for a class 3 dealer who buys and sells NFA weapons. I believe that is because dealers used to pass them around like toys to other dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hey

Hey could be a phishing scam or a governmental agency looking for some suckers... Look at it in whole form the mispelled letters and sentence structure. Gee I don't know a lot of machinests that I would trust now days that spell like that, now if it was old Jim Bob that was machining back in 39 maybe. Besides when hasn't ebay tried to boot someone off for selling almost anything firearm related.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not likely a sting as the information is too ponderous and vague. Generally speaking, in order to make a case in court for the defendant having "clear intent" to break the law, the law enforcement entity cannot be seen as having generated the plan and then provided the means. Of course the arrest of those six hapless dipshits in Florida might suggest otherwise. If that was not entrapment then the definition of what is has certainly shifted.

As a side note, I had a Saudi Arabian who claimed to represent some firm there contact me about making 100 flatbed linkers in 5.56 caliber. I declined and he started giving me the full court press. I kept my refusals clear but he kept pressing, so I finally contacted the FBI. I don't know if it was an attempt at a sting, but the idea that it might have been was a little creepy. The whole concept smacks of, "We can't catch the ones already breaking the law, so what say we create some criminals of own and bust them!?"

Best to steer clear of anything that even hints at impropriety when dealing with federally controlled weapons and parts. This guys just sounds like an "English as a second language" fellow with a shallow understanding of the law and no radar whatsoever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts