1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Fascinating. I could sit and listen to Dolf for days and days and days.

$200 for a wheeled Bofors 37mm. :jedicrying:

Back in the day when the government didn't interfere with people just having fun.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Alex, your timing on this is too funny. Was just having a conversation about one of these Bofors that Dolf had acquired, including the accessories he mentioned, armorer's kit, .303 adaptor etc.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I never get tired of Dolf's stories and he has many!!!
Love the one about how he rode his bicycle home with a Maxim when he was but a kid. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alex, your timing on this is too funny. Was just having a conversation about one of these Bofors that Dolf had acquired, including the accessories he mentioned, armorer's kit, .303 adaptor etc.
Well since I know you just saw one of them, you know what they say about it not being real unless........:needpics: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Sorry Alex picturs not allowed due to geographic location but I was with him and can attest to it's beauty as well as the accessories and yes we both drooled :D

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Sorry Alex picturs not allowed due to geographic location but I was with him and can attest to it's beauty as well as the accessories and yes we both drooled :D
Well, yes, and that is why I was deliberately vague about "discussing" the Bofors, without actually saying (publicly) we were in the same room with it, lol. But the timing of this post was uncanny, given our first hand examination just a few days ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What a great video! Too bad there's not a DVD of Dolf Stories, I'd buy one! I just picked up his Browning Machine Guns book series, all 5. I'm only about a quarter of the way through the first volume, but so far, it's a great read!

Rob

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Dolf should have his own radio show! For years I've suggested that to him, but he's too busy chasing MGs and, now, add in Chinese ladies! For many years he has come to western New England to stay and visit with his brother over across the border in NY state, Lake George area. This is about an hour from me, so he is back and forth a lot looking for odds and ends to take to sell atthe creek, getting frogs out of my pond to take over to his brothers and sometimes shooting some of my ammo supply as well as ammo he has left here. A couple years ago I had a very nice Bofors that I acquired from an estate in VT for which I had sold many DDs. It had a dozen boxes of accessories, lots of short 37 rounds, as complete as could be, since the owner had bought it directly from Navy Arms in the middle sixties. Dolf was excited to go through the boxes and look over all the stuff and reminisce about the adventures he had with his gun when he had it in northern VT many years ago. The plans were to haul it down to the local range and shoot it the next day but the next morning his brother called and asked him to come back and help out with his wife who was severely compromised and unable to move aorund without significant physical help. I recall that it had something to do with getting her into a boat with some visiting friends and touring the lake. Dolf was muttering this and that and torn between going cold turkey on shooting the Bofors and getting into trouble with his brother and wife. His brother's wife has had a bee in her bonnet about Dolf for many years anyway, but Dolf is nothing if not diplomatic.
He was up last summer in the time for the summer shoot up north, but I had already sold the Bofors and it had been picked up by the new owner. Too bad......
He's threatening to come up this summer if his health holds and we'll take out some ancient hardware like Schwarzlose, St Etienne or maybe the 1912/18 Dreyse for entertainment. The scent of a little "cordite" in the air goes a long way with Dolf.......

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We're still enjoying Serial #1 here in Colorado and Wyoming every shoot.

Tirediron

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I visited with Dolf a couple weeks back over at Rosenfield's. Dolf came north from San Antonio to introduce us to his new Chinese paramour. He's in the middle of renovating a house in San Antonio with the intention of re-relocating back to Texas.

Dolf has more energy and drive at the age of 87 than I have ever had. The guy never slows down, no matter what. Mary Ann Rosenfield refers to Dolf as 'our national treasure'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts