1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know yellow tip ball domician... has been reported to be dangerous over pressure.. ammo.. a buddy has some he bought years ago..about 60 -80 rds. I told him he should not shoot it.. he was bummed out..so I offered to break it down for him,, maybe reuse the brass maybe bullets.. my questions is.. from other peoples who have had hands on with this ammo please only people who know from breaking down using etc.. not I heard it was this or that.. Q. 1) what is the real problems you've found.. over sized bullets? bad powder? bad brass etc.. I've tried to pull the projectiles and had a HELL of a hard time . I'm using a CH4D collet bullet puller I've not been able to get a number apart.. now.. got some but failed on a number so far.. These bullets have the bullet sealant black tar..in the case neck but I can't believe the force that's required to unhatch the projo..it's like it's super glued in place.. I've even tried seating the bullet further into the case to break the seal loose.. with very little luck.. the ones' I got opened look good cases are clean and show no corrosion bright and shinny inside.. powder looks and smells good... primers is a berdan primer and laqure sealed.. I've not measured the bullet..yet.. bullet bottom looks iffy as far as being sealed.. maybe a issue.. I get some pics.. of the projos.. thanks I'm trying to help a buddy out and having bad luck so far.. B2B

·
12,493 Posts
Pull the bullet. Set off te primer. Replace the bullet and use as dummy only.

Powder has been mixed in some rounds. Bullets are dangerous at minimum. Steel cores separating

Heard that the brass was not uniform in thickness but I have not cut any of them.

Do not use the bullets. Do not use the powder.

Just make dummy rounds.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've heard the brass is ok to shoot and reload with the yellow tip stuff. The bullets are not safe to fire because the core is not properly secured. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm holding a round as I type this and I'm able to shake it and feel/hear the core shift around slightly. These rounds can fly off course and potentially go over a berm or wore. There are overcharges too and it will blow a gun. The primers should be good to go.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Over sized bullets , loose cores ,bad brass ,bad powder ,bad storage and overloads are all problems with Dominican ! The sealant is not a big issue USGI issue ammo is sealed the same way and just as tough to pull down .
Dominican is bad Ju Ju no two ways about it ,some have luck with the elements reworked but i personally know of quite a number of Blown guns because of it .

I have been a high level 50 operator for 37 years . FWIW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I've no plans to fire any, nor let my buddy fire any either.. I knew it was Fubar and I told him so.. he had run a m2 years ago and blew it up running yellow tip.. but he was very young and didn't know any better he just thought it was a case of bad headspace.. but problem I'm facing right now is I can't even demil it with my puller.. I think I broke my collet puller trying to break this stuff down it really IS bad JuJu.. even not shooting this ammo; it breaks stuff.. bummer... Question # 2 is this bullet true AP or a ball round?? does it have a hardened penetrator??

·
Registered
166 Posts
The yellow top considered AP. Now how considering how poor the ammo is I'm not sure of its penetrating capabilities.... But what I have done is cut the bullet just above the crimp groove and seperate the jacket from the core... Doesn't take much. It makes a cool display to show people what AP looks like from the inside.

If your having problems pulling use a flaring tool. The tool is available at any "real" car parts store. Use the 1/2 Side to grab the projectile. First run the round with no dies too the top of the stroke. Then attach the flare tool. Pull the handle down and bingo. Pulled bullet with no marks. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I'll have to look into that flaring tool.. I have a collet puller CH4D but now it's cracked in three places.. I can't believe it's broken.. but I believe it is the tar in the necks that is making it so hard to pull.. so I'm thinking of using boiling water to heat the necks up before I run them through the puller.. I plan on making some display rounds and maybe do like you said cutting some projos for info display.. B2B

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Thanks I'll have to look into that flaring tool.. I have a collet puller CH4D but now it's cracked in three places.. I can't believe it's broken.. but I believe it is the tar in the necks that is making it so hard to pull.. so I'm thinking of using boiling water to heat the necks up before I run them through the puller.. I plan on making some display rounds and maybe do like you said cutting some projos for info display.. B2B
Just in case someone else gets hold of them in the future, it might not hurt to dab some JB weld inside the case necks before you seat the bullets. That could save a little grief later. Maybe for your grand kids after you leave,,,

I don't think I would heat those to 212* even if it is under water. The inside of the cartridge will remain dry if it's sealed as good as you think they are. Tar at the case neck and likely lacquer on the primer.

That's me though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from what I've found, it doesn't look like the steel core in the yellow tip is AP. It looks like a soft steel core to me.. has a different shape and will scratch with a blade.. I've found the center core or nose lead to be loose in the jacket, nothing seals the base of the bullet looks like it is missing a led plug in the bases of the projo..

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Definitely set off the primer so it is not used in the future.

R
uh,,, yeah. I probably should have thrown that in there too. I keep forgetting very few can read minds like me. LMAO!!!!!!!!

I'm a victim to the old 'ass u me' thing. Hate when that happens.:eek:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yellow tip Dominican

Any one know the history of this ammo??? Did the Dominican-Republic have enough .50 cal. guns to justify actually going into mfgring the ammo??? I have never heard of any other caliber coming from there......... Looks like they would have gotten it from the good ole US of A, we who dont mind giving any whiners in the world anything they want..........

And, which of you have personally experienced shooting or gun related issues using it...????? Details.........????

When I noticed this commentary, I went to the empty cartridge depository over the back garage & found several 100 empty cases. These were shot in a M-2HB & a Colt M-52A.......... I have a DShK w/US .50 barrel, but have yet to shoot it in US as I still have a small lot of original Roosian rounds, along with a couple 100 Dominicans. I certainly never had any problem with Dominican ammo.........

PJH

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Maybe someone can chime in on history of the ammo. We bought a lot ( as in thousands) back in the dark ages when it first came into the country. I remember getting it in the wood crates, 10 rds in a box, 300 rds to a wood crate at KCR. The ammo was 1950 headstamped. Lamont was blasting it up in his 50s on the line. The ammo was cheap, and we bought a truck load. Sold some, Shot some. No problems. We had clean ammo, and it appeared to have been stored well. Later on the stories of problems came out. I used up the last I had about 10 years ago. My guess was that the "not so good ammo" was sold later on . I saw some a few years back, the wood boxes were damaged, cardboard inside was disintegrating. ammo was "crusty". As to why the Dominican republic would have made ammo - who knows. Maybe they had it made for them. The ammo was berdan primed, corrosive, not really AP, but could have been made by pretty much any European factory. Given the information we have now, and the lack of knowing where and how the ammo was stored, I would just tear down any of it now for components. But that applies to a lot of surplus ammo. We bought Israeli 50 AP and tracer, 7.62 AP and tracer, and 5.56. ( all was US production) Came loose in big old mortar ammo boxes. Bought pallets of it. I shot it, it is long gone, but if I ran into some floating around today I would not fire it. You just do not know where it has been for the last 15 or so years......

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Maybe someone can chime in on history of the ammo. We bought a lot ( as in thousands) back in the dark ages when it first came into the country. I remember getting it in the wood crates, 10 rds in a box, 300 rds to a wood crate at KCR. The ammo was 1950 headstamped. Lamont was blasting it up in his 50s on the line. The ammo was cheap, and we bought a truck load. Sold some, Shot some. No problems. We had clean ammo, and it appeared to have been stored well. Later on the stories of problems came out. I used up the last I had about 10 years ago. My guess was that the "not so good ammo" was sold later on . I saw some a few years back, the wood boxes were damaged, cardboard inside was disintegrating. ammo was "crusty". As to why the Dominican republic would have made ammo - who knows. Maybe they had it made for them. The ammo was berdan primed, corrosive, not really AP, but could have been made by pretty much any European factory. Given the information we have now, and the lack of knowing where and how the ammo was stored, I would just tear down any of it now for components. But that applies to a lot of surplus ammo. We bought Israeli 50 AP and tracer, 7.62 AP and tracer, and 5.56. ( all was US production) Came loose in big old mortar ammo boxes. Bought pallets of it. I shot it, it is long gone, but if I ran into some floating around today I would not fire it. You just do not know where it has been for the last 15 or so years......
That is really good advice.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Dominican dates

What I shot was dated 59 for the most part....... I didnt dig through the box, had it too neatly stacked to disturb very much!!!

I remember a similar discussion in regard to the laquered steel early WW 2 German ammo..........I have thousands of it, with out a doubt the best running ammo in my MG 81s & MG 42s. I even used it in MG 08...... I have seen it suggested that it be buried asap.......similar stories as this one.

PJH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts