1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has Invacare Zoom 300. Small, battery powered. It has taken to not restarting after a short trip. Once you stop, whether you turn the key off or not. Takes up to an hour before it will go again. Run time is getting shorter, wait time longer. I suspect there is a safety relay for motor overheat to be dealt with here.

I replaced the batteries yesterday & same old same old.

Plenty listings on the Intnet for Invacare, but I cant find a trouble shooting chart anywhere.

Any one.......???

PJH

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
PJH,

My little Girl is in a Wheel Chair but not a motorized one. I don't know about your insurance but for us, its easier to just get a new one. If this one is giving you trouble, you may have had it long enough to be eligible for a new one from Insurance. Her Wheel Chairs run between $3K-$7K each and she is on number three at 6.5 years old. Out of pocket is nothing for us with our insurance.

The few things I have done to her chair outside of insurance have proven to be very expensive or not Wheel Chair related care. If you are looking for repair of your Wheel Chair from a Medical supplier, its going to be very expensive. Other than the original owner, I don't know any service that repairs them.

For example her latest Wheel Chair came with solid bike tire inserts. Made the ride super bumpy. Talked to the supplier and it was very expensive to switch back to regular pneumatic inserts. Took it to a bike shop and got it done and out the door for $25ish.

Maybe things are different for Adult wheel chairs but you may want to see about the insurance replacement option!

P.S. I don't know what kind of front tires you have but if the smaller caster type... I suggest getting these Frog legs! http://www.froglegsinc.com/ They make for an awesome ride. However if motorized you probably have larger front tires.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Any time I read something like this my eyes tear up and my intense interest in firearms ebbs away for a while. Sorry, return to topic.
Just remember there is always someone out who has it worse! In our case, She has a lot more serious medical conditions than the Wheel Chair but we consider ourselves very lucky. She is 6.5 years old and thats not to bad considering we were told at our first baby scan that her condition was "incompatible with life". She proved that Doctor wrong along with the ones after that predicted she might not take her first breath or live past 6 months and then for sure not more than 2 years... Today she took the bus to school and tomorrow she is off camping with us! Granted its not the life we hoped for her but life is precious, just like her. Might I add, far to precious to take from those unborn and allow the evil to keep!

One of her best Doctors is now running for President! The day after she was born, I personally delivered brain MRIs to Ben Carson's office! He is still the only Doctor that ever told us to Pray for her. He operated on her at 6 months old, drilling a hole in her skull to install a Shunt. She came home the next day on Tylenol. As one always skeptical of famous people, he exceeded his reputation in my book. Not that this is a Political ad but he has our vote!

Sorry, that took us way off topic!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Just remember there is always someone out who has it worse! In our case, She has a lot more serious medical conditions than the Wheel Chair but we consider ourselves very lucky. She is 6.5 years old and thats not to bad considering we were told at our first baby scan that her condition was "incompatible with life". She proved that Doctor wrong along with the ones after that predicted she might not take her first breath or live past 6 months and then for sure not more than 2 years... Today she took the bus to school and tomorrow she is off camping with us! Granted its not the life we hoped for her but life is precious, just like her. Might I add, far to precious to take from those unborn and allow the evil to keep!

One of her best Doctors is now running for President! The day after she was born, I personally delivered brain MRIs to Ben Carson's office! He is still the only Doctor that ever told us to Pray for her. He operated on her at 6 months old, drilling a hole in her skull to install a Shunt. She came home the next day on Tylenol. As one always skeptical of famous people, he exceeded his reputation in my book. Not that this is a Political ad but he has our vote!

Sorry, that took us way off topic!
Off topic? Not so much so. Personal experiences with the "famous" tell much more than all the ads in the world. Best wishes to you and your family.

Carlson always seemed to me like a honest stand-up guy.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trouble shooting

Unable to down-load above link.....???

This small electric scooter should be the hot ticket for a child, IF she can sit upright without a belt or harness. And that can be rigged........ Donna has a conventional wheel-chair & a regular walker with a platform for her left knee....one cannot wear a prosthesis all the time, she spends almost as many hours with it off as on, of course she is asleep during much of the time it is off. Rory was in on her movements at a MG shoot last year......I have a photo of him & her together.

Anyways........I had to push the scooter in out of the rain today. While the key was unresponsive, I used a tester on a blue zig-zag finned control module. Once I chased the wires down, I checked with my tester, I have power in. As long as the key didnt bring up the indicator lights. there was no power out. When the key finally did respond, I had power in & out two different connectors, red wire hot moved rearward, black wire hot moved forward. There is an untripped circuit breaker in the main power supply, and a fuse in the to the motor power supply. Fuse was good. I have concluded the module must be the culprit. It is Dynamic Scooter 70amp #DS72K06......evil-bay has a longish listing that look just like it but are numbered -08 or -09. They are the physically identical. Since our scooter is more than a few years old, I suspect these are the common replacements for current & previous scooters........I dont know that, or course; I am waiting for a scooter repair station in NY to respond to my inquiry. We all know how that may work out...........

PJH

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There are after-market scooter control boards out there. I was looking into them for the kids electric jeep. Loads of options, and the scooter did not look to be too complicated. Then again, I never did more than toss in a few extra batteries before someone decided their kids needed it more than mine did :(

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dynamic Scooter control

Finally reached a fellow who said he can rebuild/reboot Donnas controller. Also said these things were basically bullet proof, didnt under stand how the problem I outlined to him could ever exist. All I know is that after a time, the key would light the console control lights & Scooter was back in service. One trip & no power from the controller again.

I sent the controller to him today......stay tuned!!!!

PJH

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Electronics; The boon and the bane of our society.
Love using them/Hate fixing them. :confused:

Say, did the pad/flesh over Donna's stump ever thicken and toughen up like it was supposed to? I recall you mentioned way back an issue over it. That would really make things difficult.
My mom had both legs taken below the knee from neural myalgia.(sp?) The stumps never did grow pads.
Never walked again.:(

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Donnas amputated leg.......

Leg not good. Still has an open lesion, been over a year closing from biggest, quarter size to present pea size. No guarantee that it will ever close or if it does, that it will stay closed. Been closed before but didnt stay. I dont feel her leg was ever ready for a prosthetic. She needs "plastic surgery". read- rebuild.........rather than simply grafting to survive the inside of any prosthetic. We have been told that several times, she just doesnt want to hear anything that may have "surgery" lurking nearby.......

She is very unstable when trying to move around without the scooter or power chair. She has no sense of adapting to the unbalanced sensation she feels constantly.

She currently has a bone spur on the back side, not an issue that we are aware of..........but the end has a spongy looking curved mass showing up in scans. Not good. "Surgery" certainly looks like her only option to me.........we will know after her 15th appointment.

PJH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Issue with the scooter sounds like it could be a bad FET in the speed controller portion of the board.

Sometimes you can find similar scooters at thrift shops or craigslist, but it's kind of rare. As was previously mentioned I would check aftermarket(places that sell robotics stuff that would be used in battlebots would be able top handle the juice), or check insurance about getting another one. There are other outlets as well that might be able to help out as well.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thrift shop/Good Will

Right on...........the very best one of these I ever saw was being ridden at a local flea mkt by a younger man who almost refused to stand up to allow me to look at it more closely. It was absolutely perfect for Donnas situation, he gave $25.00 for it a a local Good Will. I offered him $200. but he refused.

Not sure what an FET is, but the speed controller & voltage increase knob all seem to work perfectly. Once you let go of the "throttle" it will not re-engage & all the lights go out...........and no power out of the controller devise.

PJH

·
Registered
233 Posts
Field Effect Transistor, used in most speed controllers due to the power handling capabilities.

I am having trouble finding a diagram for that model but if works like most of them do the board under the heatsink acts as the electronic speed control and safety relay. An intermittent shorted FET would pass all the current intended for the motor to the ground plane potentially causing an overheat condition which would explain why it recovers after a while but it doesn't happen immediately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's kind of a jerky thing for the guy to do. FET means Field Effect Transistor, but basically what it does is, they are the components that switch the power output signal to the motor on and off and are controlled by the throttle. That's the basic gist of it more or less. If it's not a FET it's going to be something very close to it in the circuit most likely, but again, this would all be part of the same board. While not a guarantee I'd say it's a better than 80% chance it's in that board.

What make/model number scooter is it? Maybe I can find some info or parts.

Another thing that just occurred to me. Ok I was thinking wheelchair but it's a scooter style. So it's a bit less complicated electronically. So an aftermarket roboot speed control would definately work and be easy to setup but it would be extremely pricey. Now you might try taking a look at some of these electric scooters that these kids and adults use for getting around rather than getting a car. Look at one of the larger ones, not one of the small ones. One of the larger ones that can handle a fat guy(like me). Most of the used ones you see out there have burned out batteries and the people don't want to pay 80-100 for the battery, so they sell these things. If you can find one with the same voltage, and a similar sized motor, you might, MIGHT be able to pull the speed control or the entire throttle assembly(or more) out of it and adapt it over. A volt meter, some common sense, and basic soldering skills should be all that's needed. If you have no electronics experience whatsoever, an hour or so with a book just to get an idea of the relationships in electronics might be helpful but set in stone(we got google afterall).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts