1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick this up at knob creek and didn't check this one first. No spring tension, took it apart. The spring didn't move when separated so it had no tention because it was not hooked into the other half's pin. The pin was there, not broke so it must have been fooled with at some point. Put it back together wined it up fine, but realized I was winding it in the wrong direction. Tried to wind it in the other direction but no go. Studied it and I think someone put this spring in the pan the wrong direction.
I haven't yet tried to remove and flip the spring but wanted to check on it first.
Thanks, Aaron
Wheel Auto part Metal Circle

·
Registered
617 Posts
IDK ( I am still trying to get my DP28 to work right. All I was told about the mags is DON"T take them apart. And if I ever were to think about it Think again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reverse the spring…...
Thank you for the support guys. I was surprised how few parts there are really.

The only other parts there are is the top plate, the center bolt, one screw and the dummy round. Seriously The only tools I used were two speed clamps ( probably could have used one) to hold the halves together , a screw driver and a thin punch for a blind centering pin for the dummy. Taking it apart offered cleaning some of the gunk out and I'm going to grease it too and locktite the dummy screw.. I can see one of the other pan drums is going to need work on the back of the feed block. I can see how maybe putting a small compression spring under the dummy might help it present if needed. Now I'm not worried about a spring gone a little weak, just drill a new hole for the dummy a few rounds up and reassemble.

I wouldn't hesitate opening occasionally to cleaning them as long as you carefully unwind it first.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The genius of Russian MGs is their simplicity. The progression of MG development by Russia starting with the German pre-1900 Maxims was to only use the most reliable systems and never to throw out any part of a system that works. They understood the best details of various designs, incorporated them into their MGs from early on and kept right at it up to the PKs.
So, adding springs and parts to the pans defies the Russian logic of simplicity and complicates a system that works, in my opinion. I have been fascinated with Russian MGs for many years and have examples a of all Russian MGs up through the PK except for the DS39 snd starting with the 1905 Maxim. WIW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts