1919 A4 Forums banner

Drill press recommendations

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  slowfire 
#1 ·
I’m looking at getting a new drill press and would like to hear what some of you have and also what I should stay away from. Anyone have any experience with the WEN 10 inch variable speed drill press? I’m looking in the price range of $200-$300. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I haven't looked at any new ones, but I have an older Delta. I had it for almost 40 years. I'm a hobbyist so I don't use it every day, but its been reliable. Its old school, no variable speeds, you switch belts. I know I have abused (drill mill) it was never designed for that but I have never had to replace the bearings. I imagine you couldn't even buy one today.

Can't help you much on a new one, but if you get your hands on a old Delta, you will be happy.

#4 ·
For what it's worth, I would recommend one thing, based on my experience. Having mostly used bench top drill presses, a few years ago I bought one of the HF floor models. Not their heaviest model, but it seemed good and solid. I didn't need it for precision work, and it has worked well. But the main point is that I have found the bench top press to be more stable and solid. If you have a truly solid bench to mount it on, I think that is a better way to go than the average floor based model. More stable, less vibration. As to brand, I can't say how much difference there is. In your price range, for anything new, you pretty much know what country it is going to be made in, so the quality is probably not going to vary much.

#5 · (Edited)
Watch out for the variable speed Deltas. I have one. Got it 10-12 years ago. It's crap. Spindle isn't true.

Look on Craigslist. There are tons of tools on there right now. Just ask the seller to leave it plugged in and you want to see it run. If it is mechanically sound it should last a long time. If it isn't sound, you'll know immediately.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, limited space in the shop it’s going in so definitely need a bench top model. Going to be using to finish a few 80% AK47 receivers and 70% 1919 semi plates. Planning on enlarging the shop one day and getting a nice milling machine but that is several years off. Also want to set up a forge eventually and try my hand at knife and sword making. Lots of future projects in the pipeline but for right now my main focus is the gun hobby at least until all the kits dry up.

#7 ·
go to garages sales, you can pick up a quality made in the USA CRAFTMAN or other drill press that were made when AMERICA made quality shop tools, for not much more then maybve 50 or 100 bucks. yeah, they'll be old and maybe have some rust on it, but they will be far, far better in quality and workmanship then the Chinese garbage

that is where I bought all my shop tools, garage sales :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.