1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to become more accustomed to my new 1919 by dismantling it and reassembling it. This morning, I pushed in the driving rod to remove the backplate. I locked it in place but when I pushed the latch forward to raise the backplate the driving rod sprung from its "locked" position and jammed in the backplate. I cannot raise nor lower the backplate now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Was trying to become more accustomed to my new 1919 by dismantling it and reassembling it. This morning, I pushed in the driving rod to remove the backplate. I locked it in place but when I pushed the latch forward to raise the backplate the driving rod sprung from its "locked" position and jammed in the backplate. I cannot raise nor lower the backplate now. Any suggestions?
If you can't lock it back up it is a very dangerous condition. The spring is 2/3 compressed. I would wrap a towel around it while trying to wiggle the back plate out and stay out of the way.J.R.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
What ever you do use extreme caution and make sure you have full face protection and heavy gloves on while attempting to get it out. with the bolt forward it should be able to be pushed in enough to raise the back plate. can you open the top cover and get a glimpse of what is going on? is the rod broken and jammed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried raising the top cover but it will not. The latch will not move to the rear, due to the backplate blocking it.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
OK, my response has been updated. Check out that thread before you do anything else with that driving rod. Normal "Full Face Protection" will not do. Keep you face away from behind the backplate when you do this -- whichever way you go.

Welcome to the website and ask questions -- there are no stupid questions.

There's a cheap (free) way to remove the driving rod, a quarter inch hole drilled into your workbench. I get frustrated with the search function on this site, but if you spend lots of (wasted) time, you can find that one, too.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You should be able to remove the top cover by removing the top cover bolt. How much distance is there between the bottom plate and the bottom of the back plate and is the back plate cast of forged?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be able to remove the top cover by removing the top cover bolt. How much distance is there between the bottom plate and the bottom of the back plate and is the back plate cast of forged?
That was my next option when I get home this evening. I am guessing about .75 cm on the bottom is open. I can see the trigger mechanism.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Oh crap this one is always a challenge that requires creative thinking to solve :confused: ! The rod should not have left the bolt entirely so working the bolt May bring it back into the hole in the backplate .... I hope this is not a TNW or OOW gun :eek::eek: !
Slowly work the bolt back letting it forward SLOWLY and repeat until you get the bolt all the way back then try relocking the rod .

When you finally get it out Carefully unload the rod of death and spring and check the lock pins for wear ,distortion if any replace them here are replacements http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/28770.htm you need 2 ! I have a number of them in my M13 Spare parts roll just for this reason .

You could run a "fish" L wire in thru the backplate hole and try to get it to move down as you work the back plate on up while straddling the gun Nothing behind the gun !!! .... Since you have the backplate up a bit you can hook fish the rod from under it after you remove the top cover and latch ,No part of you behind the gun !!! And pointed so you can recover the rod and spring .

A sticky wicket but not an unrecoverable/unsolvable one ,you are just going to have to work for it and prepare for the spring and rod to FLY !!

·
Registered
799 Posts
First I would take your topcover off by removing the bolt, once your topcover is off you should be able to tap your latch forward and off your top plate, if you have a rubber mallet use that! After all that you should be able to gently tap your backplate down all the way and your rod might line up! Take your time & be very careful! Hope this works!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the top cover off, pushed the rod back with a long skinny screwdriver. Backplate came off and rod shot in to a pile of prepared rags. It's all back together now.

Thanks!~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts