1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my build together and it seems to function as advertised. Haven't cycled any dummies through it or test fired as I don't have a gizmo for loading belts yet. On to the problem.....

While trying to dissasemble, I can't get the driving spring rod to rotate the 1/4 turn clockwise after pushing it in as far as it will go (cocking handle was pulled all the way back and held in position while attempting to do this).

Needless to say, my eventual way of getting things apart was not desirable, but a plastic bucket makes a good trap for controlling the return spring when it cuts looses!

I reassembled with everything in place, but with the return spring left out. Same story as before, but this time I could pull the grip assembly off and have a look to see if I could figure out what's not moving right. It appears the sear isn't moving down far enough to allow those two nibs on the driving rod to enter the bolt and engage the retaining slot.

So where's the real problem? Is it the sear not moving correctly? Something else? I've spent the last 4 hours trying to figure this one out and have gotten no where.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I don't know

I don't know what sear you have but a while back members were having problems with a clearance issue such as this. I believed they releaved the edge of the sear in order for the drive spring nubs to pass by the sear so they could lock in. This was a common problem at first because the obvious use of the wider sear to make the guns semi auto only...

I would wait until a member can post a picture of their sear so you can see if yours is the same or if its not you will be able to see as to how much material you may need to remove.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a thought I came up with as well Kali. I have a Karma trigger/sear set I bought from Gunthings about a year or two ago. There is a small corner of the sear that enters the slot where the driving rod nibs have to go. It's keeping the rod from entering and turning. If you press the sear down about 1/16 inch all is well, but you obvously can't do that with the back plate in place!

I'll hang tight before modifying anything. Other than this glitch my kit went together without to many headaches. I was concerned about my riveting (using a rivet set and big F'n hammer), but they all came out super good. Wish my riveting together of AK's looked as good.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Yeah, grind the top right corner off just a tad until it clears the rod hole and you're good to go. You can see the notch in this photo that tomt cuts in the new ones. You have one of his old 98% sears :).

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
loboslanding said:
You have one of his old 98% sears :).
Oh, that's funny! :p

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again gents! I'll make the mod and get my sear to the 100% complete level.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
You...

You can always count on Lobo for his pic's I knew he'd chime in... 98% sear huh huh huh huh!!!! that is funny:D

Hey RetVet rivets take a little time to master but I think we all do a little better than what we think we do... we'll that is for home builders... Sometimes I think we just get a little to critical. I've only driven about 75 now and I still see improvement everytime I drive one...

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Hey ret, post some pics when you "getter dun" and good luck on your shooting...sounds like you did a good job.

I'm surprised tomt hasn't jumped in with that 98% comment :)...he's a good sport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts