1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my bad let read the rules dont spend alot of time on computer only have a few minutes a day im getting all the parts together that go to it will post asap you can call me at 916 289 8506 if you have any ?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yes do tell. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I think I recognize that shop!
Is this yours Craig? :confused:
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Cool - an auction. What are the rules ? Can I pay in silver ? how about a trade for a roman gatling gun ?

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Hmmmm......sorry guys - looks like he may have accepted my offer already.......I think. Well - maybe not - not sure. These things are so confusing without a price first. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hmmmm......sorry guys - looks like he may have accepted my offer already.......I think. Well - maybe not - not sure. These things are so confusing without a price first. :rolleyes:
That's nice that you bought a maxim kit for your incarcerated grandson! I'm sure he will be very grateful! LOL!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Would like to see the Rt side. From the pic of the top cover it looks like there is still a Rt sideplate on it.

Is it dewatted? ie: welded up internals?

How come it's always the fng's with the cool stuff

·
Registered
799 Posts
Would like to see the Rt side. From the pic of the top cover it looks like there is still a Rt sideplate on it.

Is it dewatted? ie: welded up internals?

How come it's always the fng's with the cool stuff
My topcover sits flush on top of both l & R sideplates on my maxim!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Some curious aspects to this gun. The imperial two headed bird appears to have had some dressing with a small burr to accent the lines fainter of the bird. Allegedly there were some 1910s made especially for the Imperial guard that had this logo on the topcover but this has never been authenticated nor has one ever surfaced in Russian or elsewhere. There should be a number on the topcover which would have to correspond to pre-Rev manufacture for the bird not to be suspect. The 150 one the fusee cover is a later number. Bird is suspect anyway.
The pre-revolution fusee cover, dated 1914 is not numbered!! Having see fifteen or twenty of these, which is really only a very few since they are scarce in the US, but do own a bunch, all have at least two and sometimes four numbers including the original number. It could happen that a fusee was not numbered, but give its condition appearing well used, it seems a far reach to me. There are repro imperial 1910 covers out there.
The dovetail for the right sideplate is visible, but that is most likely just the front end of a right plate, a common occurrence with the cut plates.
Would be interesting to see the jacket number stamped below the hinge for the topcover.
WWI serial stick out on the feedblock.
This is not an IMA import since all IMAs guns were less the left plate, which appears to have the original plate riveted, as the "stupid rule" was not in effect.
Could have been imported from Coles. Allegheny had almost entirely wartime production with some interwar guns, but very few.
A bit of 1910 lore for the guys who are interested in the early 1905s and 1910s and might consider buying early kits that are often erroneously described as 1905/1910 to make them seem more exotic and collectible. There is no such thing as a 1905/1910. Simply put, there are 1905s and then there are 1910s. Of course, some of the 1905 brass parts will fit the later steel jacket versions, but 1910 parts were also made out of brass specifically for 1910 production, for example bottom plates, etc. For example, 1905 brass grip frames will not fit later steel bottom plates at the bottom, as the 1905 brass bottom plates are different at the back end, they are configured differently at the top and the dovetail slots need modification to fit later dovetails. Brass trunnions and front end caps are different for the 1910 than for the 1905s and are not interchangeable. This info is from hands-on experience with 1905s and 1910s and parts in my possession. Anyone else have info from handling or owning parts, etc I am always interested in hearing what you know. Hope this is of interest.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>Top cover has the Finnish SA mark near the hinge.<

Typical Finn repair to the hinge end of the topcover with the expansion screw to tighten the hinge along with the SA marking. The vast majority of the guns brought in by IMA from Finland had mixed numbers from rebuilds and repairs.
Looks to me like the left sideplate dovetail was not originally fit to that trunnion, as does the visible part of the right plate. They are both ill fitted and sloppy.
Lots of brass for the brass happy crowd.......

Bob Naess

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>Same fellow has a wanted to buy post for 1910 kits / parts.<

Fellow's name is Craig Holsey. Googled that name and came up with a guy who was busted in Sacramento, CA several years ago with quite a few MGs, but not clear from the brief article whether they were dummies, live or what. Guy was living in a storage unit where the pics were taken. MG42s, ZB37 on tripods and some other that were fuzzy in the pic although they are all vintage types and all available as kits.
Apparently drugs were also involved according to the article.
Interesting......
Have no idea if this is the same guy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts