1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K98 that is to be used for reenacting. Problem is, 8MM blanks are getting expensive, and I have easy access to 7.62x51 (standard mil stuff) blanks. I know the Izzy's re bbl'd all their guns to 308, but I dont want to do a swap. Is there some way to make a cheap BBL sleeve that will allow me to chamber a 7.62 blank in a 8mm chamber?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, scratch that idea.

If you load a 7.62 blank in a 8mm chamber and close the bolt, it only closes half way and you need a mallet to get it open. :rolleyes:

This is how we learn.....

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Options

A couple options you might try. First is take 30-06 blanks and resize pushing the shoulder back with an 8MM sizing die. Second suggestion is the blank die set from Hornady, expensive and figure you will use your brass once. I use 8MM Turkish cases with split necks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes you can resize (neck) 30-06 and .308 to fit. .308 is a bit tricky as you end up sizing it to fit the chamber walls, not the shoulder. You do this based on your particular rifle. Carry a cleaning rod to eject stuck cases. Cheap though. Besides, your job as infantry is to support the MG section. How many rounds do you need! J

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Maybe run a .308 chambering reamer into the 8mm barrel so it will accept .308 blanks? I don't think the blanks will have enough pressure to expand beyond the .308 chamber dimensions.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Im just going to bite the bullet and buy 8MM blanks. Im seeing them for about .35-.45 a round. I only plan on getting 50-100 per event.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts