1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired an EE-8 B Field phone in the leather satchel. The leather is a bit worse for the wear,the top has completely separated and the carry strap is missing, but I believe the phone to be in working order. However I only have the one phone. I'd love to be able to play with my kids with them, and set them up at the museum or at living histories and let other kids talk on them. Does anyone know where I can find another affordable one, even if it is missing the satchel. I've checked that E bid site, but they are asking way more than what I paid for this one.

Andy

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Check your txts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
field phones

If you watch epay you can find them at reasonable prices,I bought one a couple weeks ago that was NOS, perfect leather and it worked great, like so many other things on there people think that just because it's old military it's golden, but if you think about it how many people are really buying them, if you watch some of them you will see that they aren't selling for those silly prices. I was going to set up a couple at the car show last month but it was too crazy,I have some set up here at the house so the kids can talk on them, they love. A family friend was telling my wife that when her mother first got married,late 50's, a lot of homes still didn't have telephones, so her grandfather picked up a set of field phones and ran wire between their houses so they could talk to each other!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This thread reminded me of my National Guard days. My unit was not authorized any field phones and when we went to our two weeks active duty we had to draw field phones from the post (PC&S) Post Camp and Station, warehouse. While the regular Army and most Guard units were using the TA 43 and TA312 field phones the ones we borrowed from the post were still the EE-8B for many years up until the 70's.

I have some surplus buckles for leather belts that I bought and have used for leather straps for the M1917A1 tripods that originally were replacements for the strap of the EE-8 and are labeled 'Buckle Barrel Roller P/O EE-8."

The early EE-8 had leather cases and straps later ones were a web type fabric that was stiffened with some kind of waterproof treatment and late issue replacement covers were just canvas.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
If you want to be sure it works , plug in a couple of new "D" batteries in the compartment down by where the hand set stores , lay one hand atop the screw terminals on top to hold the phone steady , and give the crank a spin with the other . If it works , you'll know . Man , you'll know.
Chris

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yea... Dad taught me that lesson as a kid: "hold this tight for me". Stupid magnetos. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
If you want to be sure it works , plug in a couple of new "D" batteries in the compartment down by where the hand set stores , lay one hand atop the screw terminals on top to hold the phone steady , and give the crank a spin with the other . If it works , you'll know . Man , you'll know.
Chris
I would advise AGAINST that procedure. :tongue:
However, getting your anti gun neighbor to hold the terminals may be a far better idea.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have or make reproduction or replacement leather cases? This one is very brittle. I am thinking about taking a page from 47lincsled and use a pair at displays for kids to talk on. I have been invited to a "Military Through the Ages" event in October. A local school is busing 200 +/- 4th graders out to see the event. There are supposed to be uniformed reenactors from the revolutionary war all the way to modern era. I was asked to come participate in the WWII era. I plan on taking the .43 Willys, and all of the WWII era firearms and accoutrements that I have. I really liked the idea of the sand bags and machine gun emplacement. I bet the kids would love that!

47lincsled: I may be PMing you to get directions on making those burlap sand bags.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Consider the GP ammo bag, it even has a sleeve for the handset. Our group had six pair or phones and a switchboard, it was fun. Heavy though. Most of the leather phones are shot now. Plus they corrode batteries like a mofo. The guts of the phone fit nicely in the gp bag, replace the screws through grommets in the bag.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Yea... Dad taught me that lesson as a kid: "hold this tight for me". Stupid magnetos. :rolleyes:
My dad did that to me" hold the spark plug wire in one hand and the spark plug terminal in the other while I test the Mag". This may be the reason I turned out this way.

He's probably still laughing.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have a pair of mint leather cased ones and a small spool ( 1/4 - 1/2 ? mile ) of wire . Took them out to the last gun show and set them up . Lots of people tried them. Had a high price on them as I did not want to sell them. While setting them up I was talking about them and did " that" when I tested them . Boy , I was awake the rest of the day , no problems.
Chris

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That works with the old crank wall phones also. I have heard it works with Model T Ford coils but I am not sure how they were used. As I understand they were great for practical jokes.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
You will notice that the handsets of the EE-8 field phones vary a bit. That is because they were made by just about every phone company in existence at the time. Maybe not the phone itself but at least the handset (TS -9-F). I have found them made by:

Western Electric
Stromberg Carlson
Kellogg Switch Board and Supply
Connecticut Phone
Automatic Electric Co.

The handset is not marked as to maker. You just have to be able to recognize the style as they resemble the type used on those companies commercial phones. I have replaced more than a few cords on those over the years. By the way the Technical Manual for the EE-8, EE-8-A and EE 8-B, is TM 11-333 March 1945. The only difference in the EE-8 and A an B model is the earlier model had a portion of the top of the case has been cut out and replaced by a more flexible material to allow the handset to be hung on the outside of the case to depress the switch (apparently not on the A or B model). They are not light weight at 9-1/2 pounds as much as an M1 Rifle. The TA 312 was fairly also heavy also but not that much and it was waterproof and smaller.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Armorer SEZ: "....As I understand they were great for practical jokes."

.... And a great flame thrower when you connected it to a spark plug about 12 inches from the end of the tailpipe of a '54 Chevy! It'd set a phone post on fire!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
So Gary....are you trying to get us to experiment?.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I am searching for an affordable second EE-8-B Field phone, I think I am going to try and reproduce this leather case. I think I can find all of the hardware and copper rivets and burrs, but I do need a measurement from someone who has a complete leather box. I need the total length of the shoulder strap from tongue end all the way to the D ring, and then the buckle end all the way to the D ring. A photo or two would be nice so that I can match the buckle and belt loop. I have everything else that I can take apart or measure for a pattern. I have had 1/2 a hide of oak tanned leather in the bonus room over the garage for years. I think I am going to use part of it. I am going to hate losing the signal corps embossing on the front though. I guess I can put it in with metal letter stamps but the font and size would be different.

Like normal. I'll take pics along the way for those who like such stuff.

Andy

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
My dad did that to me" hold the spark plug wire in one hand and the spark plug terminal in the other while I test the Mag". This may be the reason I turned out this way.

He's probably still laughing.
My dad tried to get me to pee on the electric fence when I was about seven or so. I'd seen it shock things, so NOPE.
My little brother didn't fare as well. That poor little pecker. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Thats a rather unique experience you do not forget. We had checked a fence and it was off, a few minutes later...it was on:eek:

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
photos

Email me directly and I will shoot all the pictures you need,I have a very nice NOS unit that doesn't look like it every hit the field, unless others want these pictures, I don't want to clog up the site with a bunch of pictures. Bob [email protected]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts