1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1161KT

Sounds like Swiss may need to decide to step completely out of EU to maintain their rights.

On a side note, how refreshing to read an article based on facts and interviews that allows the reader to draw their own conclusions and make their own mind up without being told what to think.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
"With our direct democracy, Swiss people are accustomed to having the last word"

I like that.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...be prepared...

Not presented in the article is the fact that all Swiss citizens have a FA gun in their homes. Upon retirement...or at age 60...Swiss vets can either continue to possess their guns...or opt for a Browning Hi-Pwr 9MM handgun.

I wonder why the article did not point out that the Swiss are the most armed folks in Europe...? And have never been invaded since the Austrians were beaten back and defeated....destroyed-in-place....by the Swiss in mid 13th century. Look up 'William Tell'....

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Not presented in the article is the fact that all Swiss citizens have a FA gun in their homes. Upon retirement...or at age 60...Swiss vets can either continue to possess their guns...or opt for a Browning Hi-Pwr 9MM handgun.

I wonder why the article did not point out that the Swiss are the most armed folks in Europe...? And have never been invaded since the Austrians were beaten back and defeated....destroyed-in-place....by the Swiss in mid 13th century. Look up 'William Tell'....
If they choose to keep their weapons after leaving the service the weapons are converted to semi automatic.

"In 2015, 11 percent of the 20,600 soldiers who left the Swiss Army opted to keep their assault rifles which upon departure are modified to fire single shots."

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ever think about the economic wisdom of letting them buy their service rifles? Just rough math for last year minimum (estimating on 10% instead of the actual 11%) that was over 2,060 rifles retired from service that the govt SOLD to their soldiers making new purchases and upgrading weapons systems easier. If that is a normal yearly thing for them the economic benefits add up

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
The Swiss have no regulations on suppressors what so ever ,in many canton`s they are required to be used :cool: . And you are talking about military weapons only not "consumer" weapons like we are regulated to , they buy them also in numbers with only a military caliber prohibition on 50 BMG ,instead they shoot 50 DTC Europ a .100" shorter but blown out more straight wall 50 BMG case with the same internal volume same as the Kali legal 50 DTC . They have one version standardized across civilian "gun friendly" countries in Europe while we have 3 versions of the DTC cartridge with the only difference being the radius of the body to shoulder and shoulder to neck "sharpness" :rolleyes: .

We may be the most civilian armed country in the world but Ban All Things Fun and Exciting aka BATFE regulations are becoming so onerous :mad::mad: ......

I have no doubt the Swiss will dump the EU`s small grasp on them in a heart beat !

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Isn't there a very strict rule on the amount of Ammo they are permitted to keep at home?

According to my Swiss Kamerad there is a limit to Swiss military issue but none on the open market. Ammo is plentiful for most calibers.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts

Last time I checked with a couple who came to town for their Notre-Dame graduate,the Swiss are issued 2K rds. for whichever arm they have at home. They must expend the entire lot every year...and are issued another 2K when they turn in the empty brass.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...years ago...

OK...that's an important up-date to remember. That's for current military reservists...? Everyone under 65 is considered 'current-military'. Can't understand why the country that even Hitler would not invade,would limit the ammo their citizenry has available...?

I'd bet that nearly every member on this site has an excess or 5K rds of ammo in their possession. Personally...I have nearly twice that in .50 BMG alone...!!!

·
12,515 Posts
Way excess of that amount

With readily available and .gov subsidized pricing I fought I would have nearly as much Ammo as I do now.

If 54r was available at all stores or ranges at 7 cents I'd likely never have more than a couple thousand rounds. At that pint no need to stack em high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts