1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a bigger wooden ammo box, contains Egypt 8mm with three heiroglyphic headstamp markings. Next to that is a paper box of 10 rnds to the pack of more Egyptian w/two heiroglyphic markings.

Any one familiar with this stuff as to age, reliability.???

PJH

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of what I've seen starting having a high dud count in the early 2000s. In 2005 I went to an MG shoot in colorado and about half of the egyptian 8mm I brought was duds. I'm sure some is better and some worse but age is killing the stuff. Might be worth something for pulled bullets and powder but unless you like pulling the handle and checking the bore for obstructions its not worth running in the beltfeds anymore.

Frank

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I had tens of thousands of this stuff back when you went to New Hampshire for the New Boston shoots. Most of it ran great, but they were my first experience with corrosive ammo. Little did I know that the Egyptian 8 mm was the ammo that made my Browning start growing all kinds of weird stuff in less than 6 hours. Got so bad, Doug laughed and re-parked the entire Browning after blasting the whole gun. Still have some of it, but I throughly hose the gun off ASAP. Actually set the gun up in a car wash on the way home, blasted it and hosed it down with an aerosol oil so it wouldn’t start growing before I got home.

·
Registered
589 Posts
We used to joke about the Egyptian ammo being so corrosive that you had to clean it with Hot Water while you were shooting it.:cool:

AZB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still have 4 or 5 wooden crates left (I believe they were 1600 rounds cases) and I have not had a problem with it.
Last year I was running that, Romanian steel case and PPU (78) in my Browning. It did run slower than the Romanian, but all rounds fired. You do not see it much anymore.
I spray Windex on all the parts to neutralize the acids. Works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts