1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to look in to the Egyptian Hakim rifles in 8mm since a local guy has one for sale for $900. I have read up on what I can about them but I do not know of anyone who has any person experience with one. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Experience? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
445 Posts
They're heavy but very pleasant to shoot. Don't run crap ammo in them. They rust quick if you shoot crap like the turk 8mm....if you can get the action open after that.
They have an adjustable gas system but require a special wrench. They are out there but you'll probably have to check with the hakim board on gunboards. Its actually the middle eastern firearms board....lots of good info and help there. If you buy a rifle that is adjusted ok you won't likely need to fool with it. Commercial 8mm like the privi partizan seems to work ok.
Hope that helps

Frank

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
They are a nice shooting rifle and if you get one let me know because I have a tool in my ordnance box for the gas system adjustment and have no plans of ever buying another one. Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I decided to do a little bit of horse trading and ended up getting the Hakim. It came with the bayonet, frog, and even the gas wrench. I traded a Yugo M-48 that I paid $100 for many years ago and a 91/30 Mosin that I paid $79 for years ago too. I understand that firearms appreciate in value (clearly) but given that I have who knows how many Mosin's and good German Mausers, I think I did OK.

I did run about three rounds each of Romanian steel case, Iranian brass case, and (I know I shouldn't admit this) but I did run Turkish brass case as well. I made sure to scrub the crap out of the rifle as soon as I got home. Surprisingly the brass I located wasn't all that beat up like I thought it would be and if it wasn't for the fact it is Berdan primed I think it easily could be reloaded without issue. Now I am gonna have to buy some more 8mm.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Fired mine several times. One disquieting quirk though. A single rnd in the chamber then trip the bolt may get you a slam fire. Cant imagine this with all ammos.......

Making sure to keep the muzzle down won't hurt??!!!

PJH

·
Registered
238 Posts
Minnesota Belt Fed, thanks for posting, the Hakim is a strange, but a good accurate rifle, soft shooting for 8mm, and there were several "accurizing" posts on how to, also, find the cleanest burning cartriges for it, since it is direct gas system to the bolt/reciever, ( cleaner burning, non-corrosive ammo is much less, and much easier to clean. ) There aslo was a scope mount attempt, by several creative individuals, some with very able results, but that was way beyond my ability to duplicate.

There are several tools and parts availiable for it, speficaly springs, pins, clips and many other small parts are available and are fully interchangeable with the AG42 6.5mm Swedish rifle, IIRCC. Numrich, Sarco, Apex, and several other large parts supliers have some small parts for it, not to expensive, check around for those.

Without accurizing, with iron sights, (there is a Traslation for sight markings available free on the internet, to help you convert frorm original arabic to Eng markings ) with S&B brass case ammo, this rifle consistently did 4" groups from rest, the first 15 or so rounds. It seems to like the heavier weight bullet. As the barrel heats up, the group gets a litle more loose, since the barrel and stock touch in some places, and the action moves around in the stock. Accurazing may help with this, if needed. Also, you can easily convert an old German MG 15 mag, to fit and work with the Hakim, if you can read, and have a small hand file, and these can be had cheap, even now, they work well. These hold 25 rds each, and from Apex they come with a clever mag carier, that is actually usable.. Oh, the muzle break on this rifle actually works, but it does blow poweder and dirt siways and back some, so shooting glases are a good idea... Hope this helps som. Jim.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've spent a lot of time rebuilding machineguns that have been damaged by that turk crap ammo. I fired one round out of my Hakim and it took me two weeks to get the damn bolt open. Its your rifle so you can do whatever you want but it only takes one bad round of that turk crap and I made a good living off lottery winners for quite a few years. Don't trash your rifle just to shoot some crap ammo. It isn't worth it. Others I know have destroyed good rifles with that crap too....

Frank

·
Registered
365 Posts
Back when HAKIM's were common and shot with lots of surplus ammo there were quite a few owners who broke the extractor firing steel cased rounds.
At one point a company even made replacement extractors.
I agree with Frank, Turk 8MM is not worth the risk.
Split a case head, blow out the mag, wreck the bolt face, loose the extractor or break the stock and you will be seeking replacement parts for the next few years.
Muzzle brake is effective, shot mine prone and my friend standing behind my feet got powder blast in the face.

Now that I think about it, why do I keep this rifle?
I just rid myself of all my FN49's because of that quirky little firing pin and OOB problem!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Gents, I had steel case extraction problems too.....jerked the extractor off MG 42 bolt along with other stuck in the chamber situations. I oil everything going into the chamber. Have for years. I have broken rnds now and again, but never anything stuck or jerking the extractors off.

10-4 on the FN 49s. particularly the Egyptian versions.

PJH

·
Registered
34 Posts
My experience with torn off extractors was due to gas regulator closed too far. Treat it like a FAL- open all the way and using one round in mag, fire and adjust gas regulator closed until round ejects and the bolt holds open consistently.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have started to look in to the Egyptian Hakim rifles in 8mm since a local guy has one for sale for $900...
Buy it!

I have shot a Hakim for MANY years, it is a great rifle, basically a Swedish AG42 in 8mm Mauser. Never had a problem with any non-corrosive ammo, the PRVI Partisan/PPU worked fine, but stick with the heavier military weight bullet [175 */- as I remember?] instead of the lighter 150~160 grain hunting weight. Think about what the sights are calibrated for.

As for the gas adjustment tool I made my own, probably took me about 30 minutes with a Dremel, a few cutting wheels, and a couple fine/jewelers files, not difficult in you are the least bit handy, or do not want to pay the premiul for an original tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts