1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a new choice for my concealed carry firearm and looking for input on these contenders. Listed in alphabetical order with local prices at Gander Mountain, all are 9MM. Good points or bad? Weight is under twenty ounces.
Beretta Nano $399
Glock 43 $549
Ruger LCP. $199, no inventory. Have three new mags I traded for.
Smith & Wesson M/P Shield $399

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
MC-AT ,
A friend of mine just new to gun ownership has the LCP and M&P Shield ,he likes the conceal ability of LCP but has grown to like the M&P over the LCP ,a bit more bulky/heavy but for comfort, natural point of aim , accuracy and recoil (lack ) really likes the M&P ,oh he has small hands by the way and is small frame .
FWIW

I am an H&K P7 series guy only 2 i do not own is the K3 and PSP :D:D You know what buy Low :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One you might want to look at is the H&K VP-9 a truly modular grip system 3 different palm swell and side grip sets so you get the fit You want !! Low slide profile
much as i Hate polymer guns this one the slide runs on a SS mono block rails Not molded in sheet metal inserts . It is a full size 10/15 rounds and more $$$ than you are thinking but once again it has the H&K natural point of aim grip angle .Two of my buddies are hitting pistol steel at 100 Yd with boring regularity :cool: ,one was bought NIB the other one Used . They both have been Flawless with ammo you can get at Walmart Too ,1 right out of the box !
I do not like the Glock style safety but it is made out of Metal ,very smooth and light as any striker fire pistol is .
I am a dyed in the wool hard case for all metal guns ,no bones about it , this is the first "polymer " frame i really like ,it is built like a metal pistol action wise and yet you get fully adjustable polymer grip frame to fit Your needs . Oh and it can use H&K P30 mags also (easy to get ,reasonable priced )

Food for Thought :D

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I've fired the G43, the Ruger LCP, and the Shield and will start by saying that I have big hands, to the extent that I can palm a basketball.

I like the Shield's size and design and the way it handles but I've never liked S&W's current generation safety trigger that hinges in the middle. I just can't get a feel for the trigger when half of it is bending while I'm trying to shoot it, otherwise it is a nice firearm. The Ruger LCP is small. REALLY small. Like Derringer small. I could not handle that firearm safely, it felt like a toy and I was worried I was going to shoot a finger off. The Beretta Nano is overpriced garbage and I don't know anyone that has owned one for longer than a couple months after firing any of the other pistols we'er discussing here. Go to a gun shop and dry fire one, you'll see what I mean.

Lastly, the Glock 43. Put it this way: I am buying one next weekend.

I've already bought spare magazines, Pearce +1 extensions, the grip plug, and a smoother trigger bar. Still trying to figure out an IWB 5'o-clock carry holster.

You should check Gunbroker. Those prices are high with the Shield going for $359 and the G43 going for $410-$449. No sales tax or CC fees. $25 shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs, which means I can carry my beloved 1911 Government summer and winter in an IWB kydex holster. If for some reason 1911's disappeared from the face of the earth I would definitely go with the Glock. Carried a 17 for three years when some desk ninja in the department decided that 1911's were politically incorrect. Don't care for the grip feel of a Glock, but they work first time every time, are accurate out of the box, and with a little smithing have a smooth striker with a repeatable break.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Well I have handled all of the mentioned handguns. I have personally shot the M&P Shield and the LCP.

I'd say the LCP is a summer carry gun not to be used extensively in target shooting - too small to be comfortable, but easily concealable in shorts or a pocket.

The Shield is very comfortable to shoot, and very pointable and accurate. I had no issues with the safety mechanism. I like the Shield - just a tad larger to conceal - not a pocket gun.....

Glock is OK, but I do not like the restrictive trigger housings on Glocks, and they do not point well for me. Not making them bad guns - just not suitable for me.......

Just saw a HK pistol recently (family member bought one). Seemed very nice - smaller sized model [don't remember the model #] and great finish and felt good in my hand. That's all I can say about it - sorry......

I carry a P938 during summer and a XDS45 the rest of the time - I like them both, but very different style pistols indeed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking more

Ruger is off the list, you get what you pay for, nice pistol but will look more. Beretta Nano is also off the list, just not comfortable in my hand this is in spite of being a Beretta fan. Trying to talk daughter into coming home so I can shoot her S&W Shield.
Going to see if I can find a local store with the H&K VP9 in stock, it is heavier at 26 ounces, but I like the increased magazine capacity and price is only a bit higher than the Glock.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Ruger is off the list, you get what you pay for, nice pistol but will look more. Beretta Nano is also off the list, just not comfortable in my hand this is in spite of being a Beretta fan. Trying to talk daughter into coming home so I can shoot her S&W Shield.
Going to see if I can find a local store with the H&K VP9 in stock, it is heavier at 26 ounces, but I like the increased magazine capacity and price is only a bit higher than the Glock.
Good to see you narrowing down your list.

You know the VP9 is a Full sized pistol and the Glock 43 is a single stack Subcompact model, right? It is significantly heavier and bulkier than the G43.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Also give the Springfield XDS a look. I was set to get the Glock 43 (Love my G19), but bought the XDS instead. With the 7-round mag it's small like the G43, but with the 9-round mag it fills the hand like a larger pistol. I've only taken it out a few times, but am yet to have a failure to feed - with three different brands of ammunition. Mine came with a factory holster and magazine holder. MSG

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Also give the Springfield XDS a look. I was set to get the Glock 43 (Love my G19), but bought the XDS instead. With the 7-round mag it's small like the G43, but with the 9-round mag it fills the hand like a larger pistol. I've only taken it out a few times, but am yet to have a failure to feed - with three different brands of ammunition. Mine came with a factory holster and magazine holder. MSG
+1 excellent pistol. Totally forgot about the XDS.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
May a dinosaur who awoke after a short nap in the swamp offer an opinion?

I own more than one semi-auto pistol, but I have to confess I'm a revolver guy, yeah its a little bulkier, but the Ruger LCR with five rounds AND in a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster weighs 17.5 OZ. It's really about two things confidence and competence with the firearm and what ammo you plan to use. Everybody talks guns, which unloaded are just another piece of steel, plastic, rubber, wood, however when loaded, well....this is another story.

House guns have Glaser safety slugs, carry gun has 1 Glaser up front and 148 +P for the balance. I only have 5 attempts and statistics , which Mark Twain described as "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics" indicate that I will fire less than 3 rounds. I prefer to be safe and unencumbered which is a trade off. Practice is the key thing, if you can keep'im on a sheet of construction paper (really cheap target) at 15 feet this will stop the intended target.

I'm headed back to the swamp, there was this really hot brontosaurus who was giving me the eye, if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
May a dinosaur who awoke after a short nap in the swamp offer an opinion?

I own more than one semi-auto pistol, but I have to confess I'm a revolver guy, yeah its a little bulkier, but the Ruger LCR with five rounds AND in a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster weighs 17.5 OZ ....

.... I'm headed back to the swamp, there was this really hot brontosaurus who was giving me the eye, if you know what I mean.
... And they're much better for drive-by shootings as they do not eject brass ... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts