1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got invited to another FA shoot, (as if there are too many), guy I know among the privleged few has a FA 1919, and had problems with it. It would feed and fire 3-4 rounds and quit, but when the charging handle was employed and chambered another round it would fire another 3-4, etc. Is this the same ol' headspace issue? Ammo was Vennie 80's that ran great in my semi. The feedway seems a bit tight, could this be the problem? Or possibly some other thing that neitherhe or I are aware of? Any input welcome. Thanks, -D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Please provide some additional details as to the status of the weapon when it quite firing. Was a round in the chamber? If so, did the primer have a dimple in it? Or was it feed related and it wasn't picking up rounds from the belt? Was the bolt fully forward when it stopped firing? Was anything jammed up like empty links in the feedway?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No jamming. It would just fire about 4 rounds and then require that the charging handle and bolt be pulled back to chamber another round. And fire about another 4 rounds and stop again. The bullet noses were right up against the front cart stop kinda tight, maybe this is preventing proper feeding?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd try some easy fixes first like a different top cover and go from there. Links or Belts? Trunion protector?

On mine, the 8mm rounds are long too and that doesn't make a difference for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing fell out, the chamber was empty. He was using a trunnion protector and running links. Then after a little while the top cover hinge bolt fell out because there was no cotter pin in it.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I'd try it without the trunnion protector - many times that causes tightness in the feed area and causes problems. Run a belt through without the protector or try a 10 round string of links.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would try it without the protector and with a fabric belt. I have had several jams with my FA A6 and everyone of them was due to ammo, not the gun.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stoppages

I load for my A4. Oal of cartridges is very important with the Brownings. My gun llikes 2.770- 2.800. Anything else will likely cause feeding problems. The cartridge should rattle no more than .010 in the feed path with the bolt closed into battery. P.S. I'm shooting in .308 and cloth belts. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts