1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Goose and Bucknakedracing are at the range , as we speak. They are having problems firing a FA 1919 in 8mm with an ammuniton store Bbl. If they set the headspace to where the weapon will cycle it starts to split cases lengthways and only fires short bursts. They called me and I'm at a loss. Timing? Anybody know what the dimensions are on a timing guage? If I can get the specs I'll make one and take it up to them.

Thanks in advance, I need to know something quick, Dutch

·
Registered
174 Posts
at the range, a nickel is no-go and a dime is go...............

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they changed to a .308 Bbl and it zipped through a couple of belts with no problem. So i guess its not timing.They now feel it was the ammunitionstore Bbl. Or ammostore bbl/Yugo ammo.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
I'd suggest throwing in some Romy ammo and try it - my guess would be ammo since the cases aren't separating completely....

·
Registered
72 Posts
back from minong

dave,
it would stop with a round chambered. a couple of the times that it stopped the primer had a very light dimple in it. when the case would split it was centered between the neck and the base of the shell. it would only split every third round or so. if we head spaced tight or loose it was spliting cases. if we went too loose we had the light primer strickes. we converted back to 308 and it ran like a top. ran 2-3 belts through it no prob or hiccups. ive been watching the boards and have seen some 8mm barrels are having problems with certian ammo. do you guys thing its the yugo ammo? didnt john miguire say his barrels wont eat yugo? let me know what you think.

thanks

576 Posts
If you are getting firing pin strikes the problem is with the ammo most likely.
It is possible to get a light strike because something is causing the FP to drop short....like little pieces of blown out primer in the FP channel but if you can
switch to a different caliber with the same bolt and have no issues I'd say ammo.
I assume you are using Yugo? It does have deep set hard primers.
Try some Romanian like was mentioned above.

For some reason it seems the new manufactured barrels cause more lengthwise case splits than the real military barrels. When I use my commericial barrels I get splits. Doesn;t matter who made them they all do the same thing. When I use my converted MG34 barrels I get no splits.

Yes, John said to not use Yugo in his barrels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ill pick up some romy and see what happens. we did use the same bolt when we converted so i would think we are ok there. dave do you have any other problems when you run commercial barrels and split the cases. i mean do you just run them even thought they are spliting a few? thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buck, I hate that I couldnt make it up to the range Saterday or we could have tried my converted MG34 Bbl.

I have never had any problems whatsoever with the ammunitionstore Bbls. Years ago I used Yugo in one of the SImons chrome lined Bbls and the chamber was so tight that I was having consistant out of battery fires. The cool part was that the damn thing was running like a sewing machine with the cases coming out with the primer pockets empty and as large as the case mouth. Go figger

I'm picking up all the Rom I can afford tomorrow at SG so holler at me when you get a chance to go to the range and I'll meet you there

·
Registered
312 Posts
8mm barrels

A friend was having reliability problems with his 8mm Browning and I took a look see at his barrel. Worst looking barrel I had ever seen. Don't know who made it. He got a different barrel and the gun runs fine. I have heard several other comments about poorly crafted 8mm barrels. Sometimes it doesn't pay to save money. I'll stick with .308 thank you.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Isn't the Yugo ammo the stuff that wants the spacer in the firing pin to solve light primer strike issues? And I believe that current McGuire barrels are fine with Yugo, though the first generation ones had some trouble with the forcing cone depth and the dimensions of the Yugo projectiles. I can't speak to the ammo store barrels, however if the Romy stuff works fine, I'd say its the ammo, or at least in combination with that particular barrel. Will be interesting to see if the barrel reacts the same to Romy.

But then, I am an -06 guy, and don't have an F/A yet. So what do I know? :D

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
There were some AS barrels in 8MM that weren't reliable to say it politely....I have used them without problems in S/A, but in F/A I've heard of problems with them.....not ALL the time, but periodically. Something to do with the throat dimensions and length. Too many variables for someone to try and pinpoint an area when problems occur like this....homebuilts (post 86), old parts, timing, loading of belts or links, and so on......JMHO

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
the 2nd generation mcguire barrels seem to run yugo just fine, i have ran several thousand yugo now thru my JM barrel with no splits and a few K thru a friends shorty JM barrel. The only thing i needed to do was throw a spacer thing under the firing pin spring to give it a little more force. I have a semi by the way.

Whats the headstamp of the yugo your running, particulalry the year (i seem to have more loose projos and tight fitting cases in the 55 stuff.)

that being said, if ya dont want that yugo anymore im sure we can find someone who might, hint hint wink wink lolz

Or you could have a local cat bring a newer JM barrel and put it in your gun for the price of getting to shooting your F/A.

Just some thoughts

GR5150

1 - 13 of 13 Posts