1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm pretty new here and took my unfired OOW M1919A4 out to test fire and it wouldn't feed. I'm using some linked 7.62 that is pretty standard Lake City Ammo

The gun fires the first round fine and is properly head spaced & timed. But it never feeds the next round through.

I was reading and saw some guys found they were using the wrong links, but I thought there was only one type? I've got a picture, but don't see where to upload it. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Is this a failure to extract from the belt, from the chamber, or is it just not getting the round lined up with the chamber. Or, is it an issue getting the next round into the feedway properly? If you are running 7.62, then you should be using the Israeli links. If your ammo came on M13 links, used on the M60 and such, that would be your problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you get a stoppage before touching anything is the bolt in register is the slide in or out is there a cart. in the feedway. If it doesn't extract it won't feed and the slide will be out. if the slide is in and there is a cart. in the feedway it may be a weak holding pawl spring. if no cart. in the feedway may be a bad or damaged holding pawl spring. If it doesn't extract check cart length and guides. J.R.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I'm using linked 7.62 from a NATO M13 box so that must be the issue. Rounds do not advance... I saw that as a possibility from other posts, but wanted to make sure... Thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The links are reusable many times, try to place a container under the right side feedway exit to catch the links so they wont get dirty If you intend to run links obtain a trunnion protector unless you are fortunate enough to have a chrome plated feedway floor. The M13 link is a "push through" link while the US M1 and Izzy links are "Pull out".

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
There is a lot of info here on this site concerning links, the correct way to position them, and loaders/ linkers. Before going and spending a lot of money and time re-learning all the great info here - spend some time searching for threads on browning links, asking questions and getting the info up front. If you have questions- ask here - folks will be happy to help. Photos always help get clear explanations too-

the links ( and belts too) can be used until they wear away. Loading depth in the link can also be critical. this will be apparent if you look at the interferences in the feedway. Ammo length needs to be the correct depth ( OAL) for the gun to feed reliably which is why soft point ammo and light weight bullets ( again, OAL) do not feed.

Looks like you figured out that the M13 links are for a different gun. Pretty sure there is a photo spread here showing the different Browning links, otherwise someone can post a photo again. Before you ask, no, there is not a big demand for M13 links, and there is likely not anyone willing to trade. OOW sells new links, Matt here sells them on occasion and the pop up on GB. as this is a semi, you can probably get by with a couple thousand and these will last your lifetime.

Have fun and ask questions.

Brian

·
Registered
625 Posts
Another thing to be aware of is that there is a pitch difference between Israeli (IMI) links and USGI links. Link loading machines or plates are specific to the link.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll get some IMI links. Since I'll have to delink anyway, I may as well get more ammo. Now to search for what works best in the OOW 1919A4's....

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll get some IMI links. Since I'll have to delink anyway, I may as well get more ammo. Now to search for what works best in the OOW 1919A4's....
Tulammo .308 works great and is priced a bit fairly depending where you find it. It has the correct OAL too.
No extraction issues at all for mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts