1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felt the urge to mock up where Im at on my FAV build. Looking pretty snazzy so far even if I do say so myself. Still have a lot of work to go but yall get the idea.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Excellent choice . I built the mother of all trikes for my dad using that combo 6' wide 13' long 1378 Lb with him on it ,racing bucket upright seating for two in line and entirely covered in polished aluminum diamond plate .The Silver Gator , it took on the Dragon in the smokies and he never shifted gear while the bug trans-axle based were having to shift constantly . It won him trophy`s at every gathering he entered it in ,he really loved it !!!:D

Took me 9 months from starting with a rusted out bus cutting it apart to the finish test run working on it every day .One of my most excellent but challenging builds !!!!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Frame kit or did you build from scratch yourself? Do they even still sell the kits? 40 years since I scrimped/saved to buy a kit and paid a half-assed welder friend of my dad's to put together. Was a blast and have had thoughts about adding one to the long list of projects that will likely never get finished!

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
So the next question is, are you going to try to track down the kevlar panels they were originally envisioned with? I do not even know if that feature ever made it into the field or not.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the fiberglass fairings they just need soda blasting and paint. I dont think they were ever kevlar.

I lucked into the frame on ebay. It was a complete rail with engine and tranny. I got it for 1800. It had been sitting outsife in Fl so it had soe rust issues to take care of though

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
It was envisioned as having removable kevlar panels for crew protection, but a lot of those ideas never make it to the field because of politics, procurement etc. I am actually surprised the vehicles actually made it into service.

Kinda like the vision for the M1a3. They thought it would have a much smaller remotely operated turret with an auto loading main gun. Would have reduced crew by 1 as well.

You do realize you will have to update this thread as you progress with your build.

Any specific mods to engine? Remote the oil filters? They have a nice setup that lets you mount a dual oil filter setup off the engine tha uses the large chevy truck filters, lets you have more oil in circulation, easy to change filters and they are less likely to coke up because they are seperated from the engine block.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh didnt know that, makes sense though.
Yeah I had to relocate the oil bracket into the proper place. When I first got this it was quite a bit different that what was needed. So far the upgrades/fabs have been
1 rebuild/restore of all frame, suspension, floor panels, etc
2 relocation of rear gas tank mounting bar and supports.
3 Fab of new correct gas tank
4 Install of pintle mount for passenger
5 install of triple rear shock suspension
6 fabrication of radio rack and mounts
7 fabrication of dash
8 fabrication of all light brackets
9 fabrication of side cargo racks
10 install of new zeus fasteners on frame and fiberglass panels

Still have left
1 Fab/run brake lines/clutch lines
2 all wiring (fun)
3 rebuild engine