1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously / from what height do you drop a transferable Vickers to do this to the crosspiece??!!! I bought a Vickers that had thus far survived two World Wars plus service in Turkey. Then comes FedEx.
This was not due to packing but due to someone dropping a heavy package.
not cool !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
How was it packed? Most damaged items I receive are a direct result of poor packaging on the shippers part.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn’t around for the unboxing- but my dealer said it was well wrapped and boxed. It was clearly dropped. If I ever buy another one, I’ll have the shipper strip the gun down and send the internals directly to me. That would help considerably with weight.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For heavy stuff and particularly water cooled I have been putting a piece a plywood in the box and mounting the gun to the plywood. Extra weight and cost but provides a lot more strength.

That really sucks! Not an easy part to find a replacement either.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Seriously / from what height do you drop a transferable Vickers to do this to the crosspiece??!!! I bought a Vickers that had thus far survived two World Wars plus service in Turkey. Then comes FedEx.
not cool !
Last Vickers shipped to me via FedEx had damaged on the other end;

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
They all seem to be getting worse and have a total lack of regard for handling things these days.

·
12,110 Posts
My fa M2 was crated. Secured.

I used that crate when I sold my semi and pretty sure that it the only way if I sell any heavy guns from now on.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Sorry to see that. It's repairable but a real pain. Sam Alvarez -- remember him -- repaired one for me but he's nowhere to be found today.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I shipped a Bren a few years back. I custom made a crate out of 2x4's and 1/4" plywood paneling. Long story short, the plywood side had puncture holes in it. Looked like someone took a claw hammer to it. Maybe Fedex hires the old Samsonite baggage handling gorillas from those 70's commercials.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
For heavy stuff and particularly water cooled I have been putting a piece a plywood in the box and mounting the gun to the plywood. Extra weight and cost but provides a lot more strength.

That really sucks! Not an easy part to find a replacement either.
I do similar by building a light wood frame inside the box which is also a very heavy duty cardboard type from Uline. Having grown up around the moving and storage business I tend to over pack items.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Had this happen to my m1910, it was actually my first post on the forum of diagnosing what was wrong

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Over the years I have often wondered how some items arrived undamaged due to the piss poor way the owner packed it.

Unless there are tire marks on the box, I always blame the individual who packed the box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
not cool !
This common in todays world. It has to do with the quality or lack of same in todays workforce. I frequently encounter damaged, broken open packages, packages left along side the drive and signature required packages left unsigned.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There is a group of VSM Vickers parts on GB right now. Item # 896771906. There is a back plate and grips in the sale. Not my add but hope it helps you out

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damaged crosspiece @cantrell

The good news is that they're replaceable.

I'm happy with the packing job Rock Island Auctions did shipping my Vickers. Two crates: one for the gun and barrels, one for the tripod and accessories.

This was taken after scooping out a full garbage bag of packing peanuts!

·
12,110 Posts
That should be the standard!
bill,
crating like that cost quite a bit of money. now that you've had a damaged gun, are you willing to pay a few hundred extra to ship each item? or do you think that the seller should cover that cost.

·
12,110 Posts
also, often that drives your weight over the 70lb limit for the common small package and they would need to go freight. freight costs are way more expensive if you don't have an account and the insurance options are terrible in comparison

1 - 20 of 42 Posts