1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running my 1919a4 with a post sample bolt. For some reason the stud on the feed arm is sble to jump up and out of the track rather routinely. If you flip the gun upside down you can hand cycle the bolt without the arm engaging the bolt at all.

The feed arm seems to have a lot of vertical slop- not enough to fall off the cam pin, but it doesnt seem like “flopping around” up and down is right.

has the feed arm gone bad? Should there be a spring or spacer between the cam bushing and feed arm? Or should the feed arm provide its own spring pressure of some sort?

I can stick a washer I had laying around the shop on the cam pin between the cam bushing and the feed arm and that presses the feed arm down enough to engage the bolt slot, but that doesnt seem right. Looking for the correct fix here. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
First are you sure the top cover is not bowed at all? The feed arm or pivot pin may be worn, do you have spares you can try with it? The washer is not correct so you are right there but every gun varies slightly but my guess is that it is the top cover. Russ

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestions Russ, I will check the too cover ti make sure it isnt bowed and also see about picking up a replacemebt feed arm as there is wear on the bottom of the stud.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
IIRC Numrich still had USGI feed arms and Sarco or APEX are the best bet for the izzy ones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Running my 1919a4 with a post sample bolt. For some reason the stud on the feed arm is sble to jump up and out of the track rather routinely. If you flip the gun upside down you can hand cycle the bolt without the arm engaging the bolt at all.

The feed arm seems to have a lot of vertical slop- not enough to fall off the cam pin, but it doesnt seem like “flopping around” up and down is right.

has the feed arm gone bad? Should there be a spring or spacer between the cam bushing and feed arm? Or should the feed arm provide its own spring pressure of some sort?

I can stick a washer I had laying around the shop on the cam pin between the cam bushing and the feed arm and that presses the feed arm down enough to engage the bolt slot, but that doesnt seem right. Looking for the correct fix here. ;)
It's designed to pop out of the bolt if it meets to much obstruction. The follower pin may be worn or the cam path may have bad spot. J.R.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My buddies gun a 1919 and mine a 1917a1. We were setting up at a shoot and right out of the gate his gun was acting funny jamming and his top cover was popping open. Took a while as I was leaning towards the extractor cam and extractors's pin but my buddy saw a small peen mark on the left side of the bolt. The feed arm was loose hanging but not as bad as I've had on my top cover before. I use the USGI pivot bushing/pin. He was set up with the Izzy pivot pin style. I've never seen that style before. It wasn't until he lifted the feed arm up that you could see the bottom cone head head worn down. You couldn't notice it while it was hanging on the pivot arm though. I gathered the pivot arm had also worn down a lot. What was happening was the Izzy pivot pin was hitting the right shoulder of the bolt to the point it was popping the top cover open. As I recall there is a washer that fits under the cotter pin holding the pin up which was there, not sure if putting another washer under the cotter pin would have worked in a pinch or not, maybe.
Lucky for him I've been carrying a 1919 complete top cover around with me and it saved his weekend. It was kind of interesting and not so obvious as there were no drag marks or other evidence on the bolt. Yet another learning experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts