1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve installed a 3006 barrel and booster, headspaced, Removed the left front 308 cartridge guide. When I insert linked rounds, live and dummy rounds, it will strip the first round and chamber it and the next cycle, it will eject the round but the gun will not pull the next round from the belt. I’m missing something, either need to remove the rear guide or swap parts in top cover. My research has not led me to anything definite. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I am not seeing a front cart stop...Also what kind of ammo are you using

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Yea , you have no FCS...A lot of these where left out when people built izzy kits because it was not needed for 308...You have to have it for 30-06.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Your left rear spacer is also an Izzy 308 component. I can't tell you for certain that this will impact feeding in 30-06, but it certainly is not necessary. It might be part of the problem, I just never tried shooting 30-06 with it in place. Just try one thing at a time, so you are certain what impact each change makes. Definitely, as GUNNER 50 points out, you want that cylindrical right front stop installed. Or, you could get one of the screw-in versions of the USGI short round stop, rather than having to rivet the stop in.

Next thing, is your 30-06 ammo to mil spec overall length? The Browning requires that, unless you use the USGI short round stop that I mentioned. Short ammo will tend to slide just far enough forward that the extractor can miss the rim, and there's your failure to extract from the belt. But the missing right front stop might also let the ammo cant a bit, nose to the right, which could potentially interfere with the extractor function as well. So let's start by confirming the ammo is mil spec, and go from there.

Reactions: GUNNER 50

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Yeah, ammo is way too short. The projo nose needs to be essentially scraping the front vertical wall of the feedway. That Remington ammo has a lot of room to slip forward. That's a problem, it's not mil spec OAL. You can see the projos are the wrong profile, just don't have the length.

Here is a pic of the USGI short round stop. Top section shows the part, lower part (profile) shows that this is the threaded version, which might be the way you want to go. These are not hard to find, several vendors have them. Most are not the threaded type, but have the 5/16 straight bore to mount to that right front stop your gun is missing. If you can get the type pictured, that will be the simplest solution for you. It will have the advantage of allowing that short Remington ammo to run fine as well.

20200210_184830 (800x524) A.jpg

Reactions: GUNNER 50

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It looks like you have too much space for the ammo.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have some of the threaded type. I can dig one out tomorrow if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be great. Send me how to pay you for it and I’ll get you my contact info.
Remington ammo was only 06 I had around and not much of it. No big deal to not use it.

If I’m following everything correctly, as of now I need milspec ammo, install the short round stop and remove the back Izzy spacer?

You guys are awesome on the detailed info!!!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
You pretty much got it. Just note that the use of the Short Round Stop eliminates the ammo OAL issue. That will allow you to use your Remington ammo up, whereas just putting the regular right front stop in will require that mil spec ammo. The difference is that the SRS locates the incoming rounds from the case mouth instead of the projo tip.

I should add that, if your right side plate does NOT have the rivet hole for that front cartridge stop, you will need it also to install the screw-in short round stop. Below is a simple tool you can use to mark the location. You have your Izzy 308 front spacer, just get a cheap Harbor Freight (or similar) transfer punch set and you can cut a piece of the appropriate punch to fit. See pic below.

Cartridge Stop Buck with Text.JPG

Just mark the spot and carefully drill your 3/16" hole. I believe a 10-32 screw is called for to mount the stop, and you will also have to countersink the plate so a flat head screw fits flush on the outside of the RSP.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to keep asking, but making sure I track down all the parts needed. Once I install the SRS, that should take care of the non milspec rounds but, please correct if I’m wrong, if I use M2 Ball ammo, I would need to remove the SRS and have the 06 front stop? I have had no luck finding one. What should I be searching for?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Sorry to keep asking, but making sure I track down all the parts needed. Once I install the SRS, that should take care of the non milspec rounds but, please correct if I’m wrong, if I use M2 Ball ammo, I would need to remove the SRS and have the 06 front stop? I have had no luck finding one. What should I be searching for?
No, the SRS was intended as a permanent improvement. It does not interfere with mil spec M2 Ball ammo, it merely adds the capability to position short ammo.

At some point in the post WWII period, I believe the SRS was recommended for all Browning guns in service. Not aware that it was mandatory, but the version that fit over the stock right front stop was staked in place so as to be permanent. The screw in version is less common, but for your purposes it saves you the trouble of riveting the regular stop in place. It is easily removable when you want to go back to 308 at some point in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the SRS installed but still have my same feed problem. I can pull one round. I've tried flipping over the belt just to see if that made any difference. I am about convinced this is a piece of scrap metal in the shape of a 1919.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Still looks like your ammo is too short...Even with the SRS it looks like the ammo is not indexing where it should...looks like it is able to move forward ....Also, are you using USGI links or Izzy links...Can't really tell from the picks but they look to be Izzy, based on where it sits on the case mouth...Izzy links sit a bit further forward on the round...You have the right topcover...I would say get the right kind of ammo before you change anything else...Hard to troubleshoot the gun using out of spec ammo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm using Wells Marine Inc links. I haven't compared them to the Izzys I have. I'm been striking out trying to find M2 Ball. Surplus looks to be dried up and Prvi Partizan makes the M1 Garand Ammo that reads to be spec but thats out of stock everywhere.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Your links look good...I can kinda see the flair on the front loop....Now is a bad time to try and find Milsup ...And I don't think it's gonna get any better for 30-06...So unless you reload or can find a member sitting on a stash like (Rory) you might be out of luck....I reload and can taylor my ammo to my guns needs...But when I can't , I raid Rory's stash....Sure it's far more then market value , but at least he has it in stock 😉 😁....I would put out a WTB.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
the ammunition needs to be long enough that the extractor does not push the ammo /links forward as the gun cycles. ( as described above the ammo you have pictured near the top, is clearly not long enough. The Milspec ammo has an ogive that fits the SRS. others may not. You don't need a case of ammo, you need 20 rds to test the feed. the gun should cycle and delink by hand. look at GB if nothing else and find a box of GI ammo - or borrow one.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts