1919 A4 Forums banner

feed problem/new gun

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stanamale1 
#1 ·
I test fired my newly built 1919a4 and had some good news / some bad. The good news- fired,brass looked good. bad news - rounds on belt would bind/twist during feeding. I am using izzy links, tried seating in links different heights, no difference. Next idea is to check for ridges on right side plate that links could be catching on . Any other ideas? rounds feed perfect if fed 1 at a time.

#2 ·
Headspacing, incorrect booster, rounds too long, correct guides and stops not in place, extractor spring missing or weak, top cover not completely closed; just to name a few things to check.

#3 ·
Is it ejecting links smoothly? If the links aren't hanging up it's not the problem. Try running the links the other way around. For some reason mine wont hardly feed a belt two loops first. It will feed it fine the other way around. You might want to try a cloth belt too.

I understand it has something to do with it being a 30-06 topcover or something.

#4 ·
Feed problems

I met a guy at the range the other day that could not get his 308 to run links or belts. The spring that pushes down on the extractor was so stiff it would force the top cover to pop up. I compared it to the spring in my FA that has never caused me any feeding problems and judged it to be twice as strong as mine. Then I read in one of the forums that there was a definite difference in top covers for the 06 and 308. Is this really the case? He had two other semi's that ran fine so I suggested that he swap top covers and see what happens.

#6 ·
I'm no expert but...

stanamale1,
Just did my first run and had similar feeding issues - I noticed the links looked twisted up on the way in too. At first I had extraction problems so I took the extractor spring out and bent it to give it some more tension (thought that may have something to do with the twisting belt). That fixed the extraction problem but the links still looked twisted going in. That fix caused the topcover to pop open. Took it off and bent the spring down with a pair of pliers. That fixed the feeding problem for me. The links still look twisted going in but it drags 'em right thru.
I used an ORF plate and had to file the link ejection area to match the trunion. If you have a ridge there, I would think that is causing your problem. File it down and take it for another test run.
HTH
mcj600

#7 ·
works!!!!

I smoothed out the right side plate and still had a problem jamming. feeding in the izzy links upside down gave it more room to clear the pawl holding the belt and it started working. it was an arsenal new kit , maybe the spring on pawl is too tight?

#8 ·
The spring should be okay...even if new. We assume you're shooting the gun off a tripod or bipod and not trying to lift the ammo more than about 14". You're sure they are Izzy links...no bottleneck on the small loop right? Guys have gotten the wrong links shipped to them before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.