1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,412 Posts
I had the same problem. I was running links and was running the double loop first. ran the single loop first and fixed the problem. All guns are different so It might be visa versa. Sounds like your running belts though. Check the belt pawl that is on the trunion. If It is real hard to push down with your thumb you can cut a link out of the spring to make It lighter. also if you dont have a feed system and your letting the belt hang it might be too heavy. also make sure the gun is well lubed. most of the time its usually the pawl. good luck!:)

· Registered
13 Posts
I just started firing my Allied Armament 1919a4 yesterday. I get 2-3 rounds, then stops feeding. Have to reload the belt then 2-3 rounds and stopps feeding. Any help?

Ben
Yea, I have the same problem, but it's a new build and I think it just needs breaking in (hey-that's my excuse and I am going with it!)Single loop first, tag belt (20 rounds) started getting better with oil and use....:D

· Registered
54 Posts
I have the same problem and Albie was no help . Sent it back twice no help . They say it works fine when they have it . Get it to the range and its pop pop pop click . Does not matter if its 308 3006 or 8mm i cant through a whole belt with out recocking . I think what I am going to do is send it John M and see if he can get it to run right . The kicker is that I have a nice crank for it and cant even use it.

· Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem, the gun wasn't grabbing new links. I bought it used from a local dealer, and the cam on the bottom was tightened all the way down, so I loosened it up a quater turn. It cycled much better after that, but it still didn't feed very well. Turns out one of the springs in the top cover had cracked, so I replaced that, and I think it's all better now, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

It's an Izzy .308, and I had some belts, but I'm going to try links for it now and see if that improves function.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
A weak an or malshaped extractor spring in the top cover can cause a lot havok. Also I'd like to correct someones earlier post about cutting a coil or two out of the Trunion feed pawl spring. Cutting a coil spring "never" makes it weaker...it only makes it shorter. Cutting a coil spring actually makes it stiffer.
A lot of people get this backwards. Lucky has stated before that he has found a common spring available in most hardware store that is a fresh new replacement for this particular application.....I think it was a "A-500" coil spring in a generic spring display.
Everyone repeat after me again......"Cutting a coil spring makes it STIFFER not weaker"....and only makes it shorter.
Carry On.
TiredIron :cool:

· Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Different experience

A weak an or malshaped extractor spring in the top cover can cause a lot havok. Also I'd like to correct someones earlier post about cutting a coil or two out of the Trunion feed pawl spring. Cutting a coil spring "never" makes it weaker...it only makes it shorter. Cutting a coil spring actually makes it stiffer.
A lot of people get this backwards. Lucky has stated before that he has found a common spring available in most hardware store that is a fresh new replacement for this particular application.....I think it was a "A-500" coil spring in a generic spring display.
Everyone repeat after me again......"Cutting a coil spring makes it STIFFER not weaker"....and only makes it shorter.
Carry On.
Well I'm here to tell you that I had problems with the belt holding pawl spring interfering with feeding. After comparing the pressure required to depress with a FA 1919 and consulting a Class 3 armourer I removed 2 coils and the pawl was easier to depress.

May be the laws of physics are different in Colorado, due to the higher altitude and all?

· Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm always willin' to back my mouth up with a gentlemanly wager. I knew I could draw someone into this discussion who doesn't understand the "laws of physics" when it comes to the Coil Spring. I'll give you some time to research
the subject before you answer. As to your personel experience.... just remember...."Timing has everything to do with the outcome of a Rain Dance".

· Registered
1,053 Posts
OK......times up. I will wager "100 Quatloos"....or "One Spam can of Romanian
Ammo 8MM (380rds)". The following is indesputable.......
a...."Rate is the force to compress the coil spring One Inch".
b...."Decreasing the number of coils "Increases" the spring rate" (Stronger)
c...."Increasing the number of coils "Decreases" the spring Rate" (Weaker)
When you cut your belt holding pawl spring ....you only made it shorter.
Now if that made your weapon appear to function better...than good. But it wasn't because you made the spring weaker.....or reduced the rate.
But yes....living in the 6000-10000ft oxygen starved environment of Colorado does have its advantages. It weeds out the weak, and naturally thins out the gene pool. Bullets fly faster and are less affected by wind.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Im the one who originally wrote the post on cutting down the spring. I wont get in an arguement over physics but when I cut mine down I did It for a temp. fix and It did fix the problem. Then what I did was look in my extra parts box and found that an extractor spring from a SKS cut to length works perfect.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
Whatever keeps you firing from the trenches is all that matters.

But....just to help you and RiverRat understand a little Mechanical Engineering when it comes to springs....if you had a spring exactly the diameter of the "Belt Holding Pawl" spring..."One inch long"...and it took say
six onces of force to compress it 1/2 of an inch. If you take another spring of the same diameter and wire size....but...now "Two inches long"....it will take less than half the six once force to compress it the SAME...1/2 inch.
This applies to all compression, tension, and leaf springs....
As I said before..."Timing is everything when it comes to the outcome of a Rain Dance".
My wager is wide open to any and all nay sayers....:D

· Registered
1,053 Posts
"chirp chirp......chirp chirp".....????? Come on now I thought we were going to keep this entertaining. I'll raise the wager to "two" cans of 8mm ROMO..:D
I thought you had a "Class 3 Armorer".....?
Dang....I can't hook anything today.
TiredIron:cool:

· Registered
2,142 Posts
B & C are true.
A is a load. What if I hand you a spring that is less than 1"? ;)

What about the diameter of the wire? That affects spring rate too!

· Registered
1,053 Posts
ZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz.....click.got one!

Wrong O' Toothless one.....pretaining to example "a".
Definitions:
Spring rate : Usually expressed in lbs/in, it’s the force required to compress a linear spring one inch. Linear springs have a constant spring rate. Progressive springs have progressive spring rate that rise has the spring load increase.
Quoting myself:If you take another spring of the same diameter and wire size....but...now "Two inches long"....it will take less than half the six once force to compress it the SAME...1/2 inch. (Same diameter and wire size...!")
You then ask....what happens if you have a spring as stated in the example
1/2 inch long..."it will have almost twice the spring RATE as the original spring of one inch in length". Also refere to "Young's Modulus" in your engineering 101 books that you chewed the cornors off of instead of reading.
TiredIron:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.