1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a client that used to live in state and acquired/transferred some rifle receivers from me in the past. He now lives out of state but does business here a lot and wanted to know if he could have some Model 700 receivers transferred to him while here. My understanding is this is not allowed according to what I see on ATF open letters [mainly GCA Section 922 (b)(3)]

Anyone know for sure what the correct answer is? - and if so, can you provide documentation of some sort to quote him with?

Thanks for helping an old guy out. :D

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...been awhile..

Last I heard...(haven't been an FFL for 7 yrs..) an FFL can transfer all long guns to out-of-state residents. A non-FFL can only sell firearms...both handguns and long guns...to only a resident of his own state. I've been selling off what's left of my stock for the last few years at gun shows.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Len the long guns are OK since I am an FFL holder - but this receiver crap always has be wondering. It's a firearm, but not a long gun or hand gun. Scratchin' my head on this one [for now at least]. :)

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't you check other on the 4473 ?
Sure, but I keep hearing and reading that receivers can only be transferred in your home state - something to do with having the ability to make them into a handgun. If he still lived here I would have no question and just do it as we have in the past Brian. :)

My head hurts.......:(

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sure, but I keep hearing and reading that receivers can only be transferred in your home state - something to do with having the ability to make them into a handgun. If he still lived here I would have no question and just do it as we have in the past Brian. :)

My head hurts.......:(
Him being out a state I don't know, I haven't had my ffl since 1984!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If the item is a "receiver only" it could be assembled into a pistol - there fore no out of-state transfers. When you call the 4473 in, they will stop it......

·
Registered
799 Posts
You might have to transfer the receivers to his ffl dealer in the state he lives, and he does the 4473 from his ffl! I think!

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...mnaybe not...?

I knew the procedure/regs changed...but rec's for a bolt action rifle...? It just gets "curiouser and curiouser"...LOL....

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
If the item is a "receiver only" it could be assembled into a pistol - there fore no out of-state transfers. When you call the 4473 in, they will stop it......
So, if one of the refurbished M1903A3 drill receivers is transferred to me through an FFL, it will be transferred as a pistol receiver? Can I then build the M1903A3 receiver as a pistol? This seems to fly in the face of the rule that you can't convert a rifle to a pistol. Sure is wacky to me.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bolt action pistol. Food for thought.

rem1963.jpg

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
So, if one of the refurbished M1903A3 drill receivers is transferred to me through an FFL, it will be transferred as a pistol receiver? Can I then build the M1903A3 receiver as a pistol? This seems to fly in the face of the rule that you can't convert a rifle to a pistol. Sure is wacky to me.
It would be marked as "Other Firearm" in block B. 18 on the 4473.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slowfire - thanks for your link - this is the same letter I have based my question on - whether or not it has been revised since 2009.

That is what I am reading in the script from an open letter from ATF dated 7/09/09

"Second, an FFL may not transfer a frame or receiver to an unlicensed person from another state. [Title 18, U.S.C., section 922(b)(3)]

I'm just asking in case this ruling has been changed since then. I am not finding anything to indicate it has changed anywhere......

Thanks for the replies guys - every little bit of info helps.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The problem is that "bolt action pistols" are all the rage. I have a guy here who I transfer them in for all the time. We have had to file "multiple handgun purchase" forms for Remy XP-100 and HS precision "pistols" in rifle calibers. Stripped receiver, even of a rifle, falls into the same category. What causes the tilt with BATF is the stripped AR-15 receivers - those are rampant and can be built either way. The BATF folks seem to have a real bind on those when they are transferred to a person. I have had several customers who transferred in a lot of them, get visits from BATF .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts