1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I finally got to the range today to do a "Water Test" with "ohioblacksheep's" Water Cooled Conversion. This will hereafter be refered to as the 1919 Water Cooled (same as Westinghouse during the experimental 1919A4 converted to Water Cooled)

Rasputin and I went to friend of his range and we had a ball! Again the gun fired perfectly without any "hiccups" except two rounds that did not fire. The three of us took some turns firing the gun with Lou's (ohioblacksheep) Crank unit and had a Blast (pardon the pun).

I would like to thak Lobo for all his help with me making sure the Packing was correct. It was, I did not have any leaks so I guess the Packing worked. I never got a chance to get the PTFE or the O-Rings, so I used the Graphite Packing and it worked great.

Here are a couple of photos. Unfortunantly, I nevere got a big head of steam, but all we needed was some tea, and we could have had tea time with the HOT water.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Glad to hear thing's went well Abwehr. The gun look's great. Can't wait to get going on mine. I see you got a new flash hider, nice. Keep us posted. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,433 Posts
Hi Abwehr,
Glad you finally got a chance to try it out with water. We had our club shoot today and it seems like every one was haveing trouble, includeing me, and I was busy running around and didn't get to take very many pics.
I'll have to say I'm not sure if I'm completely sold on that teflon packing. The stuff I had seemed to shrink after it got hot. I switched back to the graphite but by that time the shooting was about over. Guess I'll still be checking out different packing materials....Lou
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, and YES, the gun operated PERFECTLY!

I was using the graphite packing and I like it! At this point, I don't plan on using TFE or the o-rings. The graphite works great. I used 1/8" dia x 5' long packing from McMaster-Carr, cut a length the circumference of the water jacked. The 1/8" dia is too large, so I un-twist into 4 seperate strings, flatten one end, wind clockwise into the rear groove, mash it down into the groove, insert the rear of the barrel into the trunnion, turning clockwise as I insert fully into the trunnion. A few more twist and pull out. Any packing not in the groove is pushed back into the groove (oh yea, you may need to trim the length before inserting into the trunnion). A liberal application of Castrol Wheel Bearing grease (green stuff) and I am ready to assemble, HEADSPACE to Lobo's Tutorial, and pack the front.

The front is packed according to the GI manual by using 1 string (from the previous 4 that was unwound), wound clockwise and pushed back into the recess. I also have grease on the barrel and the packing as it is pushed back. Screw on the Flash Hider and it was ready to go.

The Flash Hider is the "Beer Can" style that came from GPC for $28. This is one more nice flash hider and it also reduced the noise from the round firing; very noticeably reduced noise. This is the type originally used on the 1917A1. If you get one, they are new and have at least 1 lb. of cosmoline. I used a propane torch to remove the majority and then paint thinner for the final cleanup. I like this better than the cone type.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top