1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything special to adjust the buffer? I tightened it in untill it stoped and then hard enough to get to the next click.

Oil/grease. I had some thick GI gun oil in a plastic bottle I have been using for some time with bolt guns. The markings wore off so I don't know what it is anymore and haven't seen any for some time. I used the last up and had to finish up with some Castrol Synthetic gun oil. Basically I "if it moved it got lubed" every thing. But what about the barrel in the trunion and booster? Are they lubed? And with that heat and blast with what?

·
Registered
864 Posts
skikir said:
Anything special to adjust the buffer? I tightened it in untill it stoped and then hard enough to get to the next click.

Oil/grease. I had some thick GI gun oil in a plastic bottle I have been using for some time with bolt guns. The markings wore off so I don't know what it is anymore and haven't seen any for some time. I used the last up and had to finish up with some Castrol Synthetic gun oil. Basically I "if it moved it got lubed" every thing. But what about the barrel in the trunion and booster? Are they lubed? And with that heat and blast with what?
I'm not an expert and certainly others here probably have the proper guidelines to follow, but I put white Lithium Bearing Grease on the barrel bearing surfaces front and rear, as well as any part that is not contained. So.... recoil spring, feed parts, firing pin, springs, pins, and feed pawl top cover grooves all get oil. The rest of the moving parts get grease if they rub on another part. I have a small artists paint brush that I use to spread the grease all over the areas of the parts that need it. One thing about a 1919 is you really can't over oil them. They need lots of oil and grease. Just don't let any get into the chamber and only lightly on the trunnion feed way and any parts rubbing on the ammo as it feeds.

As a side note: I can shoot a 1000 rounds in a day and the grease will still be there on the barrel bearing surfaces even if I fire 200 round bursts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
While 57Strat's advice is very good and correct, Im more old school. Open top cover, pour in 30 SAE motor oil until it runs out he bottom, charge weapon, shoot ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
skikir,
I tightened my buffer 'til it was snug. I figured it if backs out, the next detent will stop it.
When I got my pile-o-parts back from the park shop I hosed everything with lube before and after assembly. During the first run, in a slightly anxious state of mind:eek: , I forgot about the 2 years of lube posts I had read. I never greased or dumped any additional lube in it and it ran fine (after tweaking some minor feed issues). I only ran a few hundred rounds thru, doesn't appear to have damaged anything. Not like it was brake cleaner dry or anything - had some nice smoke when it burned the oil off the barrel. Next run it will be well lubed however, I think I'll try the oil dump method for the internals and grease on the barrel bearing surfaces.
Just my .02, HTH
mcj600

1 - 4 of 4 Posts