1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for a friend. PM me and I'll put you in touch or first I'll take it gets it. Gun is assembled, but missing the right side plate. Excellent condition jacket and finished in Finnish military grey W/green tripod. I also have extra left side plate and an 80% blank plate. Includes extra barrel and 5 russian ammo cans with steel 200 round belts. Only 400 of these entered the country (all that exist) in the 90's. $2300.00 + shipping

SOLD PENDING FUNDS - THANKS

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
i would be interested in the mount if he would like to split them up, or to whoever buys the package, I would be interested if you do not need it.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
As a point of information, the 09/21s are not Finnish manufacture, but Russian made 1910s converted to smooth jackets by the Finns so they could use the bayonet mount bracket designed to fit onto the Finn mount. IMA brought in the first of the Russian 1910s, about 500 or so with sokolovs, which came from Finland, and the bulk of the 09/21s came into the US a couple years later, after the first import by IMA.
The Finn manufactured Maxim is the M32/33 and it did not use dovetails to attach the sideplates to the trunnion, which is a distinguishing feature of those guns, along with a number of other interesting details. The Finn made Maxims also used the waterport on the top of the smooth jacket.
Maybe a half dozen Finnish made M32/33 kits came into the US, if even that many, so they are extremely scarce here.
This might be redundant infromation for may on this site, but many incorrectly believe that the 09/21s were made by the Finns.

Bob

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Jmann or anyone, Can you tell me anything about this mount? I haven't seen one and was just curious about it. It sure looks nice, can it be adapted for any other type of gun do you know? Do they ever come up for sale? I also have a thing for those Maxim sled mounts, man are they cool!!! :D
CaptMax

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
They can be adapted quite easily to the 08 maxim, which is my interest in it. I simply dont want to subject my sled to the abuse it gets riding to shoots. The sleds have several rather delicate and difficult to replace parts on them. These finn mounts come up relatively often, which is why I am not interested in the whole package. Believe me if it was rare enough, im not against buying a package just for the mount. Ive done it several times before.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The Finnish tripods are copies of the original 1909 German Maxim commercial mounts, with some alterations. The Swiss MG11, Chinese T24, etc mounts are similar as are other countries' mounts for their particular variations on the 1909s and the MG08s.
As you can see in the pic of the tripod there is a bracket that is bolted to the jacket, which has the correct bayonet fitting to match the fitting on the top of the cradle. An MG08 will not fit these cradles without the bracket. Brackets are very hard to find without going to the expense of buying a kit or a compete tripod.
Many years ago Dolf Goldsmith brought into the US a large quantity of Swiss Maxim MG11 mounts, again a copy of the 1909 commercial type, but there were only a very few of the mounting brackets that would work with the MG08. the Swiss MG11s have a very different bracket. Dolf had a number of brackets made up, which look much like the finnish ones, so that 08s could be used with the Swiss tripods. These are still around, but are in the woodwork and hard to find.
There is a bracket for the Turkish Maxims which will fit these tripods, but the Turkish bracket has a significantly higher base on it so it does not match the height of the Finn T&E. Hope this helps.

Bob Naess

·
Registered
173 Posts
Finn Tripod

Jmann - I'm not sure if this would be too far out of your way - but you may want to try www.collectorssource.com. or call Freddy at 519-853-2701

I cleaned out my shed just prior to Christmas and took in one of those tripods in along with a pile of other stuff. I know he used to have them on the website for $500 Cdn a few years back but I haven't seen them lately - nonetheless, I'm sure my trade-in is still sitting there on the garage floor as the damn thing sure was heavy !

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I ended up with 4 of these mounts, I have my Vickers on one. Last one came from Collectors Source. He insisited on a form 6, once I got it, he then had to wait on the Canadian version to ship. Mount was $500 US, shipping $275........not really a bargain when you factor in the shipping but the only other one I ever saw for sale separately was from IMI (?? N. Car. outfit) at Knob Creek 6 (???) years ago and it was mangled, $600.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts