1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend I built my first 1919a4, it's a KMP plate with MSC rivets (thanks Michael). First step was making some fixtures. Backing plate & adjustable bucking bar.

Metal Rectangle Steel

Then removing the remainder of the RSP.
Metalworking Milling Toolroom Machine Machine tool

Metalworking Milling Machine Machine tool Tool and cutter grinder

Auto part

The first 4 rivets on the plate,
Architecture Auto part Metal Concrete Rim
and cleaned up.
Bumper Floor Automotive exterior Metal

Assembling the box
Tool accessory Metalworking hand tool

Machine Machine tool Milling Tool

All together, clamped & square
Machine Machine tool Tool

Riveted and glass beaded (ignore the messy workbench). I riveted with an air hammer, and several sets as well as a BFH and a few drifts. I picked up a few kits, this one was in the roughest shape. The barrel shroud must have been used as a hammer at some point. It's going to be a gun with lots of "Character"....
Vehicle

Last night I machined the lock frame, accelerator, barrel extension. Just waiting on a cutter for the sear slot before cutting the bolt. Pretty cool project so far. I should have taken more photos... The park tank arrived today, hope to be shooting it this weekend...

Bryan

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Seems like it's going well -- nice shop too. Rivets cleaned up nicely. We'll be following your progress.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good job! Thanks for all the pictures. I'm still gathering a few pieces for my first kit and the riveting is the most intimidating to me.

Rob

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just grinding the cutter for the sear slot now, machining the bolt next. Hope to be test firing this weekend.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Thanks for sharing your project. Looks like she is coming along quite nicely!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here we are grinding the key slot cutter to width (a friend's lathe, I don't have a tool post grinder).
Machine Machine tool Metal Metalworking Tool

Another view. I was impressed how easy it was to grind the cutter, and how accurate it was. Needless to say I'm getting a grinder.
Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Lathe Cylindrical grinder

The bolts are pretty hard material, it was slow going machining them. Here it is assembled, oiled up and ready for test firing at the range tomorrow.
Safe Machine

Hopefully another update in the afternoon...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realized I never updated this after going to the range. The gun ran well (some may notice 2 in the photos, a friend built one as well). the only adjustment was to the trigger return spring. It wasn't always fully resetting. It's been a fun project. Hopefully it warms up a bit and I can park it this week.

Tripod Camera accessory Spotting scope Photography Optical instrument

Landscape

The tripod adapter is something I put together, I liked the idea of being able to go from standard tripod to AA without removing the pintle. It's really nice not having to pick up the brass/links...

Can't wait to start building another kit...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How's the can holder work????
Like the mods you did!!!!!!
Good, I welded up the pintle bolt hole and re-drilled it, it's nice and tight now. I also added quick disconnect pins. I don't have that many rounds through it yet, but I can see it will work well. I just need to re-paint it. Haven't decided if I should go green or desert colored.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I am always super impressed with guys who can just chuck stuff up in a mill and MAKE their own parts. Ive been working with a dremel, drill press and a HF welder for the better part of 15 years now. In my own imaginary world, Id own a setup like that and build guns all day.

Nice work my friend. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am always super impressed with guys who can just chuck stuff up in a mill and MAKE their own parts. Ive been working with a dremel, drill press and a HF welder for the better part of 15 years now. In my own imaginary world, Id own a setup like that and build guns all day.

Nice work my friend. Thanks for the pictures.
I wouldn't say I'm 'good' with the mill or lathe yet. I've made a number of things, and each are a little more complicated and turn out better. I'm learning as I go. My latest project is converting a MG42 lafette tripod to fit a 1919. It's almost done, and I'm happy how it's turning out. the gun fits on nice and tight, and it all comes back of easily (in case I ever get a MG42)... If I had the time i'd be playing with them every day...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Looks like a great set-up. Enjoy exploring your depth of knowledge concerning four-letter words and expletives while putting your rear sight back together! J

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Good, I welded up the pintle bolt hole and re-drilled it, it's nice and tight now. I also added quick disconnect pins. I don't have that many rounds through it yet, but I can see it will work well. I just need to re-paint it. Haven't decided if I should go green or desert colored.
I also noticed the second build, for your friend. Yours second build will start shortly and go quicker than the first. For the third build get in touch with Toolman for the BA parts list. After that it's time for the WC version. Brassmagnet has bushings for the pintle hole. Another fun add on is a short barrel version, cut barrel to about 16", cut shroud to match, and use a booster with larger diameter. You can also thread a booster for blanks or to use a golf ball launcher with 1/2-28 threads using an adapter.

Fantastic range, we deal with swamp, skeeters, rattlers, and turkeys at our private and much smaller range. F/A an issue at the public range?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also noticed the second build, for your friend. Yours second build will start shortly and go quicker than the first. For the third build get in touch with Toolman for the BA parts list. After that it's time for the WC version. Brassmagnet has bushings for the pintle hole. Another fun add on is a short barrel version, cut barrel to about 16", cut shroud to match, and use a booster with larger diameter. You can also thread a booster for blanks or to use a golf ball launcher with 1/2-28 threads using an adapter.

Fantastic range, we deal with swamp, skeeters, rattlers, and turkeys at our private and much smaller range. F/A an issue at the public range?
I've been thinking about what to do for a second build, I have some of the OOW 1928 water jackets so I think that's going to be #2 (as a 1917a1). Looking for the box parts now.

F/A isn't an issue as long as you let them know about it first. There's a lot of folks here that have bought stamps. Technically it's a private range ($80 a year to join) on a public park. We have the occasional rattle snake here in AZ, but not often at the range.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Nice work - nice shop. I'm a bit curious about your tripod adaption to the 1919. If you could post pics at some point that would be great. I have to say you are the first one I remember posting here that ground his own cutters for anything - mush less the sear slot. I am mildly impressed - for a guy who thinks he doesn't know much about the machinery in hand as of yet. :tongue:

Very nice work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very nice build and pictures. Good luck with your build number two. Look forward to seeing how that turns out.

I'm interested in which cutting tool you started with for the bolt sear mods. I would like to duplicate it and cut my own bolts. I can do the other parts except the bolt.

Have a great New Years.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Great build B. let me know if you need any help on sourcing parts for the next one. great job :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts