1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend come down yesterday afternoon to pick some parts from my junk yard,afterwards we were standing around talking,we were both leaning against a Crown vic parts car when out of the corner of my eye I see something move,I look down and see slithering,we have a lot of large gopher snakes down here so I assumed thats all it was until I got a good look at the head, 2 1/2 long timber rattler,not three feet away from coming out from under the car! It's been a long time since I saw two old farts move so fast!
Luckily I had my dove gun out in my man cave so I didn't have to run clear to the house,and luckily the car was just a parts car because the nasty bugger took off back under the car,it took five rounds to finally stop it since I never had a clear shot and I'm sure some of the buckshot hit parts of the car,but as soon as I get it stripped it heading to the crusher.
If I'm out in the boonies I won't kill a rattler but around my house I have kids and little dogs I can't afford to let them roam here!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You kill all rattlesnakes no matter where you are. My buddy thought that while hiking and a little girl got bit 15 minutes later by the same snake he let live.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,277 Posts
Snakes i have them all over the place most are harmless down here in the swamp it is the cotton mouth`s that are the problem and they don`t give any warning !! Found 1 at the foot of my stairs dispatched by .410 #4 shot 3" ,i have had to do one other here in 19 years . It was Sad day when i found a Scarlet king snake run over at the foot of my driveway , so very rare in these parts as are Indigo`s they are here and actually quite "Cuddly" ,found one on a Cold morning and tucked it in my shirt and it wrapped it`s self around my waist and stayed with me the whole day Very happy to be warm . When it came time i tickled it under the "chin " and out it came into my hands so i could place it where it would be warm for the night .It is still here but much Bigger 6'+ and very friendly ,my mouser !!
Now as a kid riding dual on a dirt bike we nailed a 12' Eastern diamond back and he nailed the rear tire of the bike !! My he was tasty MUW HAHAHAHA hahahahahahahaha Tastes like Chicken !! Sucked pushing the bike back to camp and no more riding that weekend !!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the snakes around here aren't a problem and I don't hurt them, as far as I know the only poisonous snakes are the rattlers,and usually we only get one or two a summer,but they blend so well with our sand that most of the time you don't see them,and usually they don't rattle until you do!
When my family first moved down into the fields below town back in 1976 there wasn't anyone down here but the cows,back then there were a lot more rattlers,we even had a 6 foot diamond back the first year,and I haven't seen one of them since,thank goodness!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They say North Carolina is home to 5 venomous snakes.

1. Copperhead
2.Cotton Mouth
3. Timber Rattler
4. Eastern Diamond back
5. Coral

In my 45 years of breathing, hunting, fishing, farming, and just generally country living I have only seen a handful of copperheads and cotton mouths. I have seen one timber rattler, dead on a dirt road.
95% of the snakes I see are plain old Black Rat snakes, and I see a lot of those each year. The other 5% will be a general mixture of Red Belly Water snakes, Garter, Green, Hog-nosed, Corn, or some other lesser seen variety. Honestly I get pretty excited to see anything other than a Black Snake or Red Belly.
I am generally pretty friendly to snakes until they find my chicken coop.

Reactions: Rory

·
11,189 Posts
i had a lot of black rat snakes at my old farm house, one even lived int he basement. you do your job and eat mice, adn i will leave you alone to live your happy sheltered life.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In the 7 years since we moved to the outskirts of Sacramento suburb, the rattle snake kill count is 39. 4 were more than 15' from the house. Two this year. Funniest was giving the ivy a 'hair cut' on the corner of the deck planter, weed eater WFO whet flumpa-flump. Thought I'd caught the dripper line or low voltage. Nope, mature rattle snake half wrapped up the shaft. Got cut up a bit, shook it off. Nothing funnier than a dizzy snake trying to leave. We keep a square blade shovel by the side door, works the best. Shortened it up, scopped it into the trash bin. First few were scary, never had any venom snakes growing up in cold country, now it's almost no big deal.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,277 Posts
SSS (Slice, Shovel and Silence yes it has another meaning ...) Having kept snakes as pets i learned long ago that they can learn to recognize people by.....Taste and no i do not mean a bite !! I had a Rosy Boa over 6' she knew when i was due home and would wait for me ,she had her own room and how a 6' snake can get out of an 8' slick walled room i have never figured out but she did ,found her in my closet once and ever after under my pillow or between the sheet at the foot of the bed . Now i will admit when it was cold i could not heat the house so i slept with her at the foot of the bed ... You know in all the years i had her she only bit me once and it was my fault i left the cage with the food (insert type) and she was seeking and i got between it and her Ouch ,she was Very sweet tempered !! And loved a good cuddle .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've removed 4 prairie rattlers so far this year. My 1911 22lr is never far away. Last rattler was dispatched with one well placed (or lucky:)) shot. I love snakes but these buzz tails gotta go.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of my neighbors a 1/4 mile away raises chickens for their eggs,she was dropping some off to my mom todays and I asked her if she killed any rattlers this summer,already she has killed seven and hauled off 10 large gopher snakes, they like her eggs as much as people and she is having a really tough time getting the eggs before the snakes and crows do!
She told me she almost got bit just the other day,she went out to gather eggs and leaned over to open the coup door and there was a rattlers right by the door,all curled up and ready to fight!
I don't feel too bad about my little snakes after seeing that monster above!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,277 Posts
mminvestments
Oww a slow crock pot ,some BBQ sauce (your favorite flavor ) Finger licking Good !! With chips and picannte sauce chips and BEER !!

Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA Lmao ) !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts