1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add a flash enhancer to a 1919A4 using the barrel shroud and booster? I love shooting 54r for the fireballs and would like to be even MORE obnoxious on the firing line :lol:. Does anyone have plans, prints or photos on how a barrel/booster can be modified? I would like to try to do it myself if possible. I did a search and it looks like it has been done with a short barrel and no shroud but I would be interested in keeping the shroud and booster for a more original look...........

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That brings up a stupid question. Has anyone ever loaded up a belt of about a hundred rounds loaded with black power? I just wonder how many rounds it would take to jam up the works.
Would they even have enough pressure to cycle? I notice blanks are bad enough. They don't seem to jam up the gun but are a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There's a guy out in western PA that has played with, and according to the video I saw, perfected, the flash enhancer/flame thrower device for the 1919! I talked with him at SAR East, and he showed me one of his early attempts to increase muzzle flash by drilling holes in the booster. I think he's a member here, and IIRC his co. is Bearpaw Arms....? I think he goes by that name here too.
Good luck in your quest for firing line obnoxious superiority!! :D

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A couple of my customers have played with this. basically you use a 308 booster and cross drill 6 holes (3 sets) close to the muzzle. Use a 3/16" dia. drill in a starburst pattern. The best effect is with a 12 or 14" barrel and the drilled booster.

This vid is of a 12" shorty with just a 30-06 booster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMuoTniS8kI

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
We have run Mac10's with BP compression loads. Holy Cow Batman. Instant smokescreen and lead spray. Intense fireball. Unhappily some of the special ammo ended up in a C&R M1 TSMG and we got three slugs in the tube. Oh well, it needed refinishing anyway. And a new barrel. J

·
Registered
219 Posts
A couple of my customers have played with this. basically you use a 308 booster and cross drill 6 holes (3 sets) close to the muzzle. Use a 3/16" dia. drill in a starburst pattern. The best effect is with a 12 or 14" barrel and the drilled booster.

This vid is of a 12" shorty with just a 30-06 booster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMuoTniS8kI
Interesting!
So, will a 308 booster with the holes drilled as you suggest, still allow a regular barrel length 1919A4 to function reliably with 308 ammunition plus the fireball effect too?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I use a bored out booster on my Shorty 8MM gun and as you can see fireballs are not an issue even in broad daylight.......gotta love it! :D

Pics were pulled from two videos, so quality is poor - sorry......

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Interesting!
So, will a 308 booster with the holes drilled as you suggest, still allow a regular barrel length 1919A4 to function reliably with 308 ammunition plus the fireball effect too?
With a 24" barrel you will probably have cycling issues. You would have to go with a shorter barrel to do flash enhancements.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I have not yet shot with these, my prototype version not having the radial holes drilled in it. These are the production version, but are not for an A4 barrel. Having only shot Yugo 8mm in this set up so far, and in daylight, I can only say that there must be a different ammo required as I get no apparent flash. Given where these holes are located, behind the barrel muzzle, I don't know that they would help. What I expect you would want is to have them near the end of your A4 bearing, just ahead of the muzzle. I remember a post showing this a while back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts