1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass along some information that might help keep a good guy out of jail in wonderful New Joisey. I'm sure this won't surprise those that are familiar with the gun laws in the Jersey/NY area.

Recently while visiting family there (the only good reason I have for going there), I acquired an old firearm that has been in the family for 60 years. It's a Winchester model 94 in 30-30, so really nothing that qualifies it as a demon such as those dreaded flash hiders and detachable magazines. I acquire a nice case to transport it and follow all TSA rules. I call TSA to see if there is anything specific I need to know flying out of Newark, but nothing but TSA rules are cited. Same with the airline who I called, they mentioned nothing out of the ordinary.

I then called the NJ State Police and talked to a detective in the firearms division. Their website info indicated what I was doing (driving to the airport and getting on a plane while the gun is unloaded, in a locked case and not in the passenger compartment) is legal. The detective I spoke with provided the same information, so far, so good.

At the end of our conversation, he gave me his name, badge number, phone number and suggested I have all that information with me 'just in case I have any problems at the airport' I can call him. This raised a flag with me which prompted a bit more research.

I learned that when out of state residents are checking a firearm at Newark Airport the ticket agents are instructed to call the airport police who will gladly meet you at the TSA check station as your firearm is being processed for your flight. This is where you will be arrested for violation of NJ law, 'possession of a firearm without a NJ Purchaser ID Card', which can only be obtained by NJ residents after a long and exhaustive process with the police.

They are using this provision to charge and convict law abiding citizens with a felony as the 3rd district ruling (staffed by NJ judges) have ruled the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 does not protect you as it only applies to those traveling by car, train, bus and airplane but does not apply if you are CARRYING YOUR FIREARM TO THE COUNTER in between these modes of travel!

The NRA has specific warnings on their site about this as several cases are on going from this very scenario out of Newark and NYC airports and advise to totally avoid these airports. You can find various examples on line of innocent people that have been caught in their anti-gun agenda and have ruined their lives, not to mention draining their bank accounts defending themselves.

Do yourself a favor, avoid New Jersey for anything especially if you are traveling with a firearm. Give your money and business to the neighboring state of PA.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Excellent, EXCELLENT post!

Unbelievable, that state. It seems that they have nothing better to do than to make people hate it and not want to ever come back. I know I avoid NJ like the plague when I'm on the east coast.

See: Shaneen Allen

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Returning home from Vermont a few years ago with a full auto 1917 in my vehicle I made darn sure I went out of my way to avoid NJ. Bad enough traveling through NY with the gun in the back. The PA stateline sure looked good when I crossed it that afternoon.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
NJ Gun laws

Sorry to hear about your situation. NJ Gun laws are some of the most draconian in the US. I would recommend anybody that has to deal with firearms in NJ to call a well established NJ firearms dealer for information on how to proceed. I am rather surprise that the NJ State Police gave you any legal advice or interpretation of the NJ gun laws. Everytime I have called they tell me to consult with an attorney or the NJ state attorney generals office. First "technically" in NJ a living relative cannot give you, an out of state resident, a firearm. Often times this law is often ignored by both the transferee and recipient of the firearm. If the firearm is part of a will as an inheritance which stipulates that you will receive firearm: Make, Model, and serial # if any (provided the firearm is NJ legal) and you are not a prohibited person. Then you can take possession of the firearm. Since you are an out of state resident and not in possession of the little "yellow" card. The executor of the will should have the firearm shipped to a FFL in Alaska. NJ does not have reciprocity with any other state as far as out of state individual sales or transfers. Then you can take possession of the firearm from your FFL in Alaska. Do not try and read logic to the NJ Firearms Laws. The NJ firearms laws are designed by "progressive" liberals who are from Camden, Trenton and Newark which some of the highest crime and murder rates in the US. They have to let stupid John Q Public think that they are doing something about crime. I digest. If a living NJ relative is giving you the firearm. He should have the little "yellow" card to transport the firearm anywhere off his property. For example to the NJ dealer to ship the firearm to your FFL in Alaska for you to take possession. In a lot of cases the relative would have own the firearm before the NJ firearms laws went into effect and may not have the little "yellow" card. He would run the risk of being stop by the police and could be charged. At a minimum it will cost about $20,000 to get off on a firearms charge in NJ. Of course that's assuming that you are innocent. I hope that everything works out.

--fjruple

PS-- If you need a good NJ attorney that specializes in NJ gun laws. I would recommend Evan Nappan.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
anytime I fly/drive and want to bring a firearm there. the day before my trip I pack up my firearm and ship it by commercial carrier, I address the package to myself with a "care of" below it. when I get ready to leave I address the package to my self and ship it back to my house the day before I leave

I don't even bother to even waste 1 nano second second doing any research on how to go about flying or driving with it, or waste my breath calling bureaucrats how to do it.

it's less of a hassle and headache just to ship it there and to ship it back to you right before you leave that is the smart way of going about it, and it's all perfectly legal.

I did that when I flew to Houston to visit my friend and to Va when I drove to see my nephew

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily, I don't need an attorney as I opted to leave it there rather than take the chance and I'm glad I did. On my next visit (cringe), I'll simply fly out of an airport in Pennsylvania and avoid Jersey altogether.

On shipping a long gun to yourself, can this be accomplished through FedEx or UPS? How about the USPS? Can you ship it to yourself without providing an FFL to the carrier? Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I know in Cali UPS requires all pistols to be shipped next day air, as has been their policy nationally for a long time. I don't know if they have a special shipping requirement for long guns; any I have shipped I have just shipped regular UPS. They will not let you leave the package containing a weapon for at any UPS Store, at least in Sacramento where I'm at. I have been told that is because some employees are under the age of 21 (also can't ship booze, allegedly for the same reason). I have a buddy that is a retired UPS manager form their terminal just outside of town and he said they routinely x-ray packages looking for contraband. They return any packages that violate their policies and drop a dime on anything that violates the law.

FedEx seems to be a tiny bit more reasonable, but they have their rules, too. I once has a rifle FedEx'd to me and wasn't home when it came and it was signature required. They took it next door to a brand new neighbor and let their teenage kid sign for it. I was expecting it and when it didn't show I called, they said it had been signed for by me neighbor. I asked them who they were paid to deliver the box to, me or my neighbor? Then I got the "we're just trying to provide good customer service...." line. I blew it and told them that there customer service just got my rile delivered to someone I don't know, and the package was signed for by a juvenile. They couldn't stop sputtering until the figured out a way to blame me for not shipping it the proper way. I got my rifle, they got embarrassed, and the neighbors and became good friends.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I know in Cali UPS requires all pistols to be shipped next day air, as has been their policy nationally for a long time. I don't know if they have a special shipping requirement for long guns; any I have shipped I have just shipped regular UPS. They will not let you leave the package containing a weapon for at any UPS Store, at least in Sacramento where I'm at. I have been told that is because some employees are under the age of 21 (also can't ship booze, allegedly for the same reason). I have a buddy that is a retired UPS manager form their terminal just outside of town and he said they routinely x-ray packages looking for contraband. They return any packages that violate their policies and drop a dime on anything that violates the law.

FedEx seems to be a tiny bit more reasonable, but they have their rules, too. I once has a rifle FedEx'd to me and wasn't home when it came and it was signature required. They took it next door to a brand new neighbor and let their teenage kid sign for it. I was expecting it and when it didn't show I called, they said it had been signed for by me neighbor. I asked them who they were paid to deliver the box to, me or my neighbor? Then I got the "we're just trying to provide good customer service...." line. I blew it and told them that there customer service just got my rile delivered to someone I don't know, and the package was signed for by a juvenile. They couldn't stop sputtering until the figured out a way to blame me for not shipping it the proper way. I got my rifle, they got embarrassed, and the neighbors and became good friends.
Not a California rule but a nationwide UPS rule because they could not control the theft of firearms by their own employees. Next Day Air packages have closer monitoring than standard. This policy was established in 1999 - http://www.paulrevere.org/boycottups/When_Guns_Don't_Arrive.htm

UPS requires firearms be shipped from UPS centers only, UPS Store shipments are not allowed. Their rules, nothing to do with Federal or state agencies.

As far as the FedEX shipment, the shipper if shipping to a residence should have had the package marked "Adult Signature Only".

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
On shipping a long gun to yourself, can this be accomplished through FedEx or UPS? How about the USPS? Can you ship it to yourself without providing an FFL to the carrier? Thanks for the information.
yes, you can ship a long gun through UPS or FedEx and USPS to yourself, although I never use the USPS to ship, I prefer FedEx. and you don't need to provide a FFL.

forgot one key point that Kirby brought up, make sure you ship it with ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED otherwise the driver will just prop up against your home and drive away.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
To be clear on one point, the "Adult Signature" requirement is a service you have to pay for through FedEx or UPS, just don't write it on the box. :)

For FedEx, my normal method of shipping, the charge is $5.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
My VFW Post shipped 10 M1917 rifles back to the Army at Anniston AL by UPS. We had a minor confrontation at a UPS terminal service counter with the least service oriented female I have encountered. However, the folks at the Detroit Arsenal had tipped us off on UPS tariffs/agreements with the Army after a Supervisor intervened things got a lot better and the Army got its M1917's back. They went regular ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts