1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've done a few searches but I'm running short on time for the purchase and hoping someone can save me a little time. An acquaintance is selling some of his FA stuff and has a tripod that he says will work well with a 1919A4. He sent a pic and I did a google image search. It think it's a fn30/mag58. In the pics the Mag58 and FN30 look the same to me. Were they the same thing? He said it was originally designed for the 1919 and wants $500 for it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FN 30 or mag 58 tripod

So now that I've looked around a little more, is the difference the soft mount vs the "u" shaped mount? The one he has the simpler stamped steel mount. Well it work well with the 1919a4?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am looking into these tripods also but I am learning also. I believe the 1919 will fit right in with a FN30 that has the simple sheet metal ( U shape ?) type of mount/cradle. If it has the mag58 cradle (softmount)? then I think it needs modified and I am trying to find out from anyone who has done the mode. numerich -gun parts corp- has the mag58 one for $400 but I have seen the FN30 ones asking price as much as $750, BUT there are 2 versions also of the FN30 tripod, there is the fixed leg type I think Israel made or modified , then there is the folding leg type. I am looking for the folding leg type for the FN30 but researching if I could modify a MAG58 one that has the folding legs ? anybody can help us out ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I own one of the MAG-58 tripods that GPC sells, it comes with the AA extension.

Its well made and I think the tripod is a very good value.
I have not tried the ANM2 .30 caliber MG.
However, the M1919 Browning doesn't fit.
You need adapter blocks.
I have been looking for a set to use with my mount, and so far I have not found anyone still manufacturing them.
I wonder if an M-249 might fit?

So, great deal for a well designed well made mount, but how to actually use it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I too have this tripod. I think it is very good for the price! The adapters required to mount a 1919 are very simple and could be made very simply if you have some basic skills. I had contemplated purchasing this from GPC several years ago but the shipping was around $150 if I recall correctly. I bought one more recently when I rechecked and think I ended up paying about $40 for shipping. I have not converted mine to mount my 1919 as I have several others I use, but I still couldn't pass it up for the price. If I get around to making some adapters up I will post for you guys.

Brad

I own one of the MAG-58 tripods that GPC sells, it comes with the AA extension.

Its well made and I think the tripod is a very good value.
I have not tried the ANM2 .30 caliber MG.
However, the M1919 Browning doesn't fit.
You need adapter blocks.
I have been looking for a set to use with my mount, and so far I have not found anyone still manufacturing them.
I wonder if an M-249 might fit?

So, great deal for a well designed well made mount, but how to actually use it?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FN 30 or mag 58 tripod

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm not sure why a FN30 would be $300 more with a simpler mount unless someone is looking for originality. I just want functionality. He's wants $500 so the AA in the pic may be a better deal for me.
I'll also get a list of what he's got for sale and try to figure out the proper way to post them. He's got a lot of stuff he's liquidating, including several FAs (1917, MG 42?, Vickers) and a lot of accessories.

Dan

·
Registered
556 Posts
I too have this tripod. I think it is very good for the price! The adapters required to mount a 1919 are very simple and could be made very simply if you have some basic skills. I had contemplated purchasing this from GPC several years ago but the shipping was around $150 if I recall correctly. I bought one more recently when I rechecked and think I ended up paying about $40 for shipping. I have not converted mine to mount my 1919 as I have several others I use, but I still couldn't pass it up for the price. If I get around to making some adapters up I will post for you guys.

Brad
I would be more than happy to pay for adapters so that I can put one of the Brownings on this tripod.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
browning 30 tripod....

add this one also the the browning family
any guess for witch browning this one is...

regards from across the pond, john.

·
Registered
739 Posts
As far as tripods and pricing: I respect the desire to have a mount that you can just toss a gun on. It fits, it's sturdy, it's cheap. I look at it from the other angle as well. If I invested thousands of dollars in parts and labor and ammunition, I'd try to hunt down the factory correct tripod as well. Again, either or, and I respect both.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FN 30 or mag 58 tripod

All good points. It was indeed an FN30 pod and it now has a new home. Its in good shape and he came down a little on the price. It even has the adjustable front foot. (I've seen some pics that didn't)
He's going to send me an update list of his goodies for sale and I'll post it, in the proper place. This is an all steel one. Harder to haul around but it won't move around as much when firing.

Thanks again for all that chimed in.

Dan

·
Registered
556 Posts
As far as tripods and pricing: I respect the desire to have a mount that you can just toss a gun on. It fits, it's sturdy, it's cheap. I look at it from the other angle as well. If I invested thousands of dollars in parts and labor and ammunition, I'd try to hunt down the factory correct tripod as well. Again, either or, and I respect both.
I have the US M2 tripod with the proper pintle & T&E mechanism for the Browning M1919.
I have a custom built M1919 mount with can holders that fits into a Vickers tripod (one I bought without a cradle).
I have the Israeli bi-pod that slips over the barrel jacket.
I don't have an M1917 mount, but I do have another Vickers tripod with a cradle that OOW modded for Brownings.
I even have a Sokolov mount that I know will accept either a Vickers or a Browning.

That Israeli MAG58 tripod is a better design with modern materials and more versatile.
At some point I hope to obtain the adapters so I can use it!

If FN ever produces a semi-auto M240, those MAG-58 mounts might just sell out!

Tripod Camera accessory Machine Cameras & optics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts