1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd introduce myself here since I don't see a new member section to post in. I'm new to the 1919 platform and I have a lot to learn, but I just purchased a beautiful Transferable DLO 1919A4 in .308 which will be currently in jail for at least the next few months. I guess it's time to start browsing the threads and brushing up on the inner workings of the 1919 and figuring out what spare parts I should have on hand... I apologize in advance for any FNG questions I may ask in the future.

This is not my first machine gun - I also own a Transferable Qualified HK sear with a bunch of host guns, everything from MP5's to HK21e beltfeds. I've noticed a lot of familiar screen names in here from the HKpro.com forums.

Here she is:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Welcome to the board. DLO is a good gun. You will find lots of the info here pertains to semi guns but there are lots of F/A guys too. The obvious items you will need are ammunition and a mount. Don't fret over links or belts, the gun will eat both. Links=linkloader=$200, belts=beltloader=$800. Consider a caliber change to 7.62x54 for economy. Barrelexchange here on the board does this. Buy military surplus ammunition or a set of dial calipers to measure the overall length of whatever you buy. Ammo needs to be a certain length to function the gun. Be safe, ask questions, and have fun. They are super reliable and easy to shoot. J

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the board. DLO is a good gun. You will find lots of the info here pertains to semi guns but there are lots of F/A guys too. The obvious items you will need are ammunition and a mount. Don't fret over links or belts, the gun will eat both. Links=linkloader=$200, belts=beltloader=$800. Consider a caliber change to 7.62x54 for economy. Barrelexchange here on the board does this. Buy military surplus ammunition or a set of dial calipers to measure the overall length of whatever you buy. Ammo needs to be a certain length to function the gun. Be safe, ask questions, and have fun. They are super reliable and easy to shoot. J
Thank you for the info. I just purchased a very nice condition belt loader with the .308 conversion for $1000, I might of overpaid a bit, but it seems they're hard to come by. I have a nice supply of various 7.62 NATO, mostly surplus German (you can never have too much ammo). I'll take your advice and put the calipers on them to see the overall length.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Last time I bought a belt loader they were $400 and I couldn't believe I did it. If your gun has Izzy feedway spacers, most military surplus .308 will run just fine. J

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...read-up and stay safe...

Welcome to our addiction...err...HOBBY...!! Might want to get an older military manual for basic instructions on the 'how-to's' of the 1919a4 Browning's. Always remember the key words on the Browning's...head-space,head-space,head-space...!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congratulations!
DLO's are great, I have one myself and couldn't be happier with it.
Suggest you get a trunnion protector, (they're about $15, well worth it) and use only .308 links, they'll work on .308, 30-06 and 7.62x54R.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Welcome to the forum! On my last visit to DLO, Doug still had 10-12 new 308 guns all ready to go. They all looked so purty! Hope the next few months go fast for you so you can get some range time on that beauty. You may have just paid a solid market price on your belt loader. Sure, they do sometimes come along a bit lower, but that never happens when you just need to get one. With the 308 conversion, the value is decent.

On a full auto gun, I would keep a complete spare set of internals and a top cover handy. You can get into small parts, like extra firing pin, accelerator, etc. But I find it's just easier at the range to swap in a complete assembly if ever something goes down. That's just me. Everyone has their own, preferred list of spares, so you will get plenty of suggestions.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have 2 DLO's transferables and learned most from questions here and youtube videos. Try and watch headspacing ones bunch of times along with field stripping with special attention paid to recoil drive rod spring safety.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking 1919A4 - I can imagine you are anxious, but with the sear and host guns at your disposal, you will survive the wait I think. :D

In a perfect world the best extra's to have, IMHO, is another complete DLO gun as a back up. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice to meet you. I think I waited too long to buy an HK sear, might have been a wise move back then to go that road first. Whats a good buy these days?

Look for used pre-stretched belts. ;) If you shoot Wolf the Zinc coat loads tight belts just a little better. Don't run it dry it loves oil.

Don't wait too long to think about a 1917a1 tripod, same deal they are real expensive now. If you don't have a pod, an FN30 is another alternative but I haven't seen any for sale like I used to. My buy runs his shorty FN30 pod, its fast and easy.

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking 1919A4 - I can imagine you are anxious, but with the sear and host guns at your disposal, you will survive the wait I think. :D

In a perfect world the best extra's to have, IMHO, is another complete DLO gun as a back up. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good looking gun! The jail time is killing me to hopefully around end of May ,mine will be free!!!!!
And welcome aboard these guys helped me out a ton!!! And still do!!!
A great bunch:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. My next purchase for the gun will be a tripod. My dealer has a USGI M2 with T&E and Pintle that he will sell me, but I would really like to buy a 1917A1 Tripod if I can find one for a decent price. What should I expect to pay for one of those these days?

GWR1 - Thanks for posting that link! That was pretty shocking to say the least, and a sobering reminder of the dangers of working on a 1919, even if it's unloaded!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's time to save up you pennies and start bidding
I've been watching that one and i'm currently the high bidder, but I'm sure the bidding will get out of control in the final minutes of the auction...wish me luck :rofl:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have fun!

What a sweet Browning, just back from a paint job!

This is the most fun weapon I have ever owned. One other recommendation, go with Zap's firing pin spring. Otherwise, build up your ammo stock while waiting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Great looking gun. I love the dark finish on it! Can't wait to hear your first range report, keep us informed!

Rob

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just picked mine up a few months ago and I will say buy one of everything on the inside. Start with all the small parts and work your way up to complete internals. I have already had a couple small pieces give me fits and was glad to have them in the spares kit. Listen to everyone about the recoil spring. I had a worn out drive rod that came out while I was cleaning and hit me in the thigh. Didn't think much of it till I had a nice wet spot of blood. Also depending on where and how you plan on shooting it look on Gunbroker at the tripods made by a member here. It's nice not having to pick up all the links and shell casings.

Oh and ammo lots of ammo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What a sweet Browning, just back from a paint job!

This is the most fun weapon I have ever owned. One other recommendation, go with Zap's firing pin spring. Otherwise, build up your ammo stock while waiting.
My dealer went through the entire gun and replaced any parts that needed to be and sent the entire gun out to be parkerized. She looks brand new!

I appreciate all the info that keeps rolling in. It's definitely not going unnoticed, as I'm making note of all your suggestions.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts