1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,

I recently committed to purchase (but have not yet received) a semi-auto M1919A4, .308, built by a previous owner from an Israeli parts kit. I've been scouring this site for all the info I can sponge up (with particular attention to the "Warning To all New 1919 Owners/Builders" thread).

Saying hi for now, I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks with questions once I receive the firearm. In the meantime, if there is anything I should know/prep for right now, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Digz

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Welcome...!!!

Welcome to our addiction...eerr...HOBBY...!! Best thing for you to do before the arrival of your new 'toy' is to obtain one of the military manuals offered for training and proper way to handle,disassemble,assemble and safety practices for the 1919a4 weapon. Everyone has to learn these lessons the easy way....read,learn,watch,practice. If not...you can either hurt yourself or someone else by lack of training. It's just a matter of learning the safe way to handle any weapon. Again...WELCOME to the site. When you have 'graduated' to become a member of the 'Cloth Belt Brotherhood'....you have truly arrived.....LOL

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Take your time and have fun. Stay safe and heed the warnings. Buy ammo when you can. Don't buy tons of parts you don't need. Be careful not care what company made which part when, it will drive you nuts. Ask questions and add comments when appropriate. Buy from the site when possible and stay engaged! J

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome. I started this journey a few months before you and it has been a lot of fun. The members of this forum are great, they are very knowledgeable and helpful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes so far - I am scouring the net for all available M1919 PDF's I can find; I'm sure I'll end up purchasing a few books too.

One question that occurs to me - how many gunners out there run some kind of optic on their M1919 besides the stock irons? I see the picatinny rail bracket on the BMGparts.com site and am wondering about the value of putting a red dot on the M1919.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Someone joked tracers are the primary sights on a 1919 but since I can't have any fun where I am from I went with an optic.
I am a red dot guy so putting one on this gun was an easy choice. TRS25 on a pic rail. Easy to use and zero. I could have mounted the optic without the riser but then this give me the option to run a magnifier or other accy.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Welcome Aboard! and congrats on your new money pit!

I'm shocked Len999here hasn't started on you yet, but if you don't reload.......maybe now is a good time to start! :rofl:

I have a few PDF's you may be interested in. Send me an email to magerATtampabay.rr.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll make some time to send you a few.

Enjoy, Matt

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Welcome, and ask all the questions you want. AFTER reading the SNL A-6 available free for download or viewing. Click on Articles, then Manuals on the left side, then SNL A-6 1947. This will get you the Sears Catalog of things M1919A4-A5-A6.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone joked tracers are the primary sights on a 1919 but since I can't have any fun where I am from I went with an optic.
I am a red dot guy so putting one on this gun was an easy choice. TRS25 on a pic rail. Easy to use and zero. I could have mounted the optic without the riser but then this give me the option to run a magnifier or other accy.
Thanks Joe, I like that setup. How do you think that Bushnell red dot + riser would work for height with an Israeli tripod/operator seated on the ground?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Aboard! and congrats on your new money pit!

I'm shocked Len999here hasn't started on you yet, but if you don't reload.......maybe now is a good time to start! :rofl:

I have a few PDF's you may be interested in. Send me an email to magerATtampabay.rr.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll make some time to send you a few.

Enjoy, Matt
Thanks Matt, email sent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome, and ask all the questions you want. AFTER reading the SNL A-6 available free for download or viewing. Click on Articles, then Manuals on the left side, then SNL A-6 1947. This will get you the Sears Catalog of things M1919A4-A5-A6.
Thank you sir, downloading now. It's a big'un!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Joe, I like that setup. How do you think that Bushnell red dot + riser would work for height with an Israeli tripod/operator seated on the ground?
If the Israeli tripod is the same as a M3 tripod you would need to scrunch down. The tripod adapter I have adds 12 inches of height and I still need to scrunch down a little. But if you watch the YouTube videos most people aren't using their sights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the Israeli tripod is the same as a M3 tripod you would need to scrunch down. The tripod adapter I have adds 12 inches of height and I still need to scrunch down a little. But if you watch the YouTube videos most people aren't using their sights.
I mean to ask you what kind of bracketry you had going on underneath yours in the picture you posted.

Yes, forgive me for my lack of nomenclature - I assume I'm getting an m3 tripod. It looks just like this one, except brown/tan and more beat up:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
DirtyDigz ASKS: Who runs "...some kind of optic on their M1919 besides the stock irons? I see the picatinny rail bracket on the BMGparts.com site and am wondering about the value of putting a red dot on the M1919."

Welcome to the Fellowship Of The Beltfeds, also sometimes called the Group Of Ol Farts With More dollars Than Sense! Yeah, some put optics on the 1919, although it's sometimes considered designed to 'walk' the aim-point into the target.

As for safety: Don't even think about taking your piece apart until you've seen http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47...ve-rod-spring-accident/page2&highlight=injury

Again, Welcome, and remember There are no stupid questions!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome DirtyDigz and congratulations on your new money pit... er... uh... I mean firearm! :D

To your question about optics: I am running an EOTech on mine. Works great and despite recent recalls mine has taken a beating and keeps zero just fine.

Another option would be a fixed 4x with generous eye relief.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts