1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying the SG-43 wheeled tripod route with the 1919 adapter from Beltfedshooters. Beltfedshooters sells a buffered mount for the 1919 and an AA adapter for the mount AA mode. However, I am wondering if it would fit in the back of a 4Runner and if I would need to buy a bed ramp for loading and unloading into the 4Runner bed. Can I load it and unload it from a 4Runner alone? If under 100 lbs, I'm good. Would anyone have any experiences to share on using this mount for the 1919? I would like to know:
1. How much room do I need to transport it - fit in back of 4Runner?
2. What does it weigh
3. How stable is it's use in AA mode
4. Does anyone raise their tripod mount wheels on auto ramps to raise them up another 20 inches for seated firing? I guess would also have to raise the rear tripod support as well?

Any advise appreciated. I really want a mount that I can both shoot low from behind a chicken plate and use in standing configuration.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Not sure why you want a wheeled mount in the bed of anything that moves. It is kind of problematic to keep it from moving while driving around as well as when your using it.
It has a spike of sorts built into the handle of it that would stab into the ground to keep it from moving on recoil but it wont do much inside a vehicle.
Its approx. 24" wide and 54" long by about 26" tall from the ground to the top of the chicken plate (shield) I'd guess it to be around 60-70 pounds with shield attached.
GW

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
mounts

In my opinion you can't beat a nice MG-42 ground mount for stability . Also the Bren tripod is another option to look at. For shooting standing up the MG-42 AA tripod works well. I think your looking at a minimum of three tripods but then I have about 8 different tripods .
You have a tow hitch on your 4 runner? making something that slides into the receiver is also an option.
Good luck
GW

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sure let me help. SG-43 tripod I have not used. But forget the whole idea of a buffered mount semi and especially full auto. There is a high chance of malfunction. In most simple terms Brownings were designed for a ridged mount. Stick with a gound mount. Adding elevation that is flimsy can rob too much inertia from the bolt and action. Hense, you may be troubleshooting a malfunctioning firearm for which there is nothing wrong with the gun. I've seen it happen multiple times at the Creek. Pin the buffer or put it on a ground mount and all of a sudden it runs.
Plus then you have the wheels to deal with not digging into the ground again rolling/ moving robbing inertia, right. So you have two ways around that, 1 dig a trench and bury crates to chock the wheels or 2 band the wheels or axel onto heavy spiked blocks. Chocking the wheels are not enough, plus burying the wheels/mount until it almost sits on the ground is going to suck. The sockolov mount is a little heavier but you are still going to have to stabilize the wheels somehow as the front leg brackets are not to be found anywhere.
Both the 1919 and 1917 mount are ideal, there are other choices like the FN30 mount or an MG3 mount and adapter with the buffer pinned. If you want some height then the 1917 is what you are after that is why they are desirable. If you go with a flex mount go big and heavy tight and unbuffered. This is going to save you a lot of trouble.
Aaron

Thinking about buying the SG-43 wheeled tripod route with the 1919 adapter from Beltfedshooters. Beltfedshooters sells a buffered mount for the 1919 and an AA adapter for the mount AA mode. However, I am wondering if it would fit in the back of a 4Runner and if I would need to buy a bed ramp for loading and unloading into the 4Runner bed. Can I load it and unload it from a 4Runner alone? If under 100 lbs, I'm good. Would anyone have any experiences to share on using this mount for the 1919? I would like to know:
1. How much room do I need to transport it - fit in back of 4Runner?
2. What does it weigh
3. How stable is it's use in AA mode
4. Does anyone raise their tripod mount wheels on auto ramps to raise them up another 20 inches for seated firing? I guess would also have to raise the rear tripod support as well?

Any advise appreciated. I really want a mount that I can both shoot low from behind a chicken plate and use in standing configuration.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guy just wants to know if one will fit in the back of his rig, and if it will take more than one guy to load it for transport to and from the range.

Don't put it on auto ramps unless you want it rolling back over you.:cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noted!

Great advice here, I'm really trying to explore my options... looks like a rigid cradle is the way to go at the very least.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The SG43 mount should fit in a 4 runner. Does the rear seat fold down? if so it will fit. It's about 40" with the tongue folded, from rear to front of the wheels. That plate on the tougue is where it folds.

I haul mine in the back of a Dodge caliber with the 1919 attached no problem with the tongue on the mount folded making it smaller. With the 1919 the barrel sticks out between the seat some, I just cover it with a blanket.

I love using this mount with my 1919 BTW. Very stable and you can pull like a wagon. Here's is mine using the same adapter you mention along with a EJ crank, i made a pouch to catch the empties and links too.

I suppose if you were concerned about it rolling around you could pop the wheels off, they come of eay enough. I just chock mine, as I usually have enough stuff back there on range day that it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The steel plate slides on/off and the mount folds.

Two SG43 wheeled mounts in the original crate WILL fit in the back of a 4Runner with the rear seats folded down. In fact, there is still room for several thousand rounds, two parts kits, and misc junk. Can't say if the crate will fit with the seats up, but certainly one mount will fit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back of 4Runner

Nice to get the definitive word. Yes, my seats fold down and there should be plenty of extra room.

Cuda - How do you load the mounted gun into the back of your dodge? Do you have ramps, or do you just lift it? Also, I like the brass bag idea, I'll be running this every now and again in a reloadable caliber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The steel plate slides on/off and the mount folds.

Two SG43 wheeled mounts in the original crate WILL fit in the back of a 4Runner with the rear seats folded down. In fact, there is still room for several thousand rounds, two parts kits, and misc junk. Can't say if the crate will fit with the seats up, but certainly one mount will fit.
I have someone with me, my daughter (14) is my shooting buddy. One person each side and lift it in...not that heavy so long as its balanced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts