1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,237 Posts
Always interesting videos by Ian at Forgotten Weapons.

Gun. Machine. Cal. 30 M37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSruW6edd0
Nice. Thanks for posting that. I went through the RIA reports, which info I think is in Dolf's Vol I anyway. Rock Island made 7,340 M37s between 1955 and 1957, while also producing 8,402 new 1919A6s from late 1953 to 1955. No records have been published on Saco-Lowell Shops production, so far as I have found.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I posted this to another forum just the other day. Guess I should have known to put it here too. Very cool version of the 1919 either way.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I just viewed the site posted and am very glad to see someone explaining in detail the history and changes made to the Browning .30 cal M37 and also the Israeli conversions to the M1919A4. Often times these articles are quick and dirty and get many facts wrong. This one is the best I have seen and of course is really an add for the company. Something like this would make a very good article for this site. It is certainly a good place for the beginner M1919 Semi Auto people to go to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very good video. Forgotten weapons always puts up some good stuff. I’m surprised toolman hasn’t said anything. I would imagine he has like 1000 of them.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Very good video. Forgotten weapons always puts up some good stuff. I’m surprised toolman hasn’t said anything. I would imagine he has like 1000 of them.
Ive seen a few of his videos lately. I really didnt want to like the guy, with his long hippy hair and goatee. I have to admit, hes pretty down to earth and he doesn't try and to awe us with tactical bullshit or urban legend. There are too many Tactical Teddy's on youtube nowadays, but 'Forgotten Weapons' seems to stick to the meat and potatoes.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive seen a few of his videos lately. I really didnt want to like the guy, with his long hippy hair and goatee. I have to admit, hes pretty down to earth and he doesn't try and to awe us with tactical bullshit or urban legend. There are too many Tactical Teddy's on youtube nowadays, but 'Forgotten Weapons' seems to stick to the meat and potatoes.
Ian is good people. He doesn't drone on forever or constantly get off topic and beg for money (like C&Rsenal) his topics are focused, typically well researched, nicely videoed and edited. He's also built a pretty good reputation that gets him access to interesting places with interesting things. Forgotten Weapons has hundreds of videos. Hundreds.

I've met him a few times at gun shows and the SAR show in Phoenix. Totally normal dude, looking at old guns and rummaging through parts bins just like the rest of us. :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Videos or M37's? I actually know Ian and he is a terrific guy and truly has a passion for what he does. We spent some time together at the SAR show and the shoot the day before and he is always a pleasure to talk to because few others are into the details like he is so it is always a great conversation. He has been very lucky to play with pieces most will never even see in person and he does a nice job on the videos.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I loved the part about the designer just running over to Springfield Armory with a dozen of them in the back of his convertible. It must have been a nice day in New England.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I loved the part about the designer just running over to Springfield Armory with a dozen of them in the back of his convertible. It must have been a nice day in New England.
your comment made me think of the days when we used to go test Post sample FA guns we were building .... and loaded guns into the bed of the pickup to run to the range -
1919A4-2.jpg
1919A4-4.jpg

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Nice video and a time travel moment for me back to the early 80's with Pearl Manufacturing. Marty built/modified several guns for me. Utah was the name of his machinist who did the work. He built my MP40 tube and converted two FAL's and two M1A's to M14. Quality work as they all functioned flawlessly. He also built an 8mm barrel for my BAR and installed it as well as making an 8mm barrel for my M37. Utah also developed a SMG that folded up and looked like a large transistor radio.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Glass, Thats interesting. I bought a pre may BAR back in the 90's and it has an 8mm barrel also. Gun has been flawless all these years, I still enjoy shooting it.

I believe the barrel is from a german mg. I would need to look at the markings again.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The guy was quite the character and one heck of a gun builder! He was friends with Bob L. at OOW and Bob still has his picture on his desk. He made the first 5 M37's in his basement and was stopped by LEO's on the way to Springfield to deliver them for testing but you can bet that was handled quite quickly. I have seen a number of his other designs that were purely brilliant and it is a shame only a few of each were ever made but that is a story for another day.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,237 Posts
Nice, thanks for the pics. One of the interesting revisions on the M37 is the change from rivets to cap screws for the retracting bar guide brackets. I have examples of both kinds, and side plate chunks showing both as well. Not sure of when the change occurred, but it applies to both RIA and SAK guns. I've got some nice knives made from M37 side plates too, thanks to amish-bob and the folks at Ordnance Research.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So any chance that the captive drive rod spring is interchangeable with the regular 1919a4?

Not having orbital bone fragments driven into my brain would be my driver for wanting such.

Has anyone come up with a captive spring interchangeable part for this sucker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts