1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,237 Posts
So any chance that the captive drive rod spring is interchangeable with the regular 1919a4?

Not having orbital bone fragments driven into my brain would be my driver for wanting such.

Has anyone come up with a captive spring interchangeable part for this sucker?
I have a solution in the works. It has not progressed for a while, for lack of time and the need to focus on other projects. However, with a new piece of machinery coming in very soon, I will be better equipped to get the prototyping done and get this moving. A couple of other forum members and I have shared ideas on this in the past, and it is not so simple as it may seem. Bear in mind that the existing captive designs all involve two features that a 1919 does not have. One, a bolt cavity drilled through for rod clearance and, two, a location in the RSP to retain the guide rod. Those are obstacles I plan to address in my design.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Glass, Thats interesting. I bought a pre may BAR back in the 90's and it has an 8mm barrel also. Gun has been flawless all these years, I still enjoy shooting it.

I believe the barrel is from a german mg. I would need to look at the markings again.
Mine was a pre May NESA. When Utah removed the old barrel he did not use the block that supports the receiver and keeps it from twisting from the torque required to break it loose. The receiver cracked in two places on either side of the receiver and he tried to weld them back up. Unfortunately the repairs are evident since the receiver is an "Armasteel" casting and the metal there is thin also.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a solution in the works. It has not progressed for a while, for lack of time and the need to focus on other projects. However, with a new piece of machinery coming in very soon, I will be better equipped to get the prototyping done and get this moving. A couple of other forum members and I have shared ideas on this in the past, and it is not so simple as it may seem. Bear in mind that the existing captive designs all involve two features that a 1919 does not have. One, a bolt cavity drilled through for rod clearance and, two, a location in the RSP to retain the guide rod. Those are obstacles I plan to address in my design.
I know Dolf worked on a "fix" - but all involve cutting the RH plate for the hole to latch the back of the spring. Using an M37 bolt solves the hole in the bolt problem, and I am guessing a metal fitting that would fit into a 1919 back plate would allow use of the captured spring recoil assembly. I am just not sure it is all cost effective . I made up my own little tool for the 1919 spring removal, and just leave them de-tensioned when I have them apart. Drilling the Bolt would seem to be the biggest drawback....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts