1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

The Fort Gordon Sportsman's club is hosting a Machine Gun Fun Shoot November 7, 2015. Registration fee is $65. per person and everyone attending must register and pass a Background / Drivers license check. This is open to the public and all NFA rules apply. Interested parties may contact me for registration information. Registration closes Sept. 30, 2015.

Respectfully,
Frank in GA.
f a m i h m I I at knologydotnet

·
Registered
111 Posts
My son and I are regulars; driving up from Florida. We always enjoy this shoot.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Don

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don,

I hope you come with a new barrel on that A4. You wore that other one out, I've seen more rifling on a Dixie Straw. LOL

Frank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thats cruel Frank. Its unnecessary to bring that up in public. I'm just frugal; trying to get maximum utilization. As long as I hit the berm/mountain, why change?

OK, we were missing the mountain, so I dug out a new(er) barrel and just tested it at the Creek. As far as we could tell, most rounds stayed within the valley.

Yes, the bore on that one is beautiful; smooth and shiny indeed. Our estimate is that there may have been as many as 100,000 rounds down that pipe. It was worn when we started using it and we know we did about 60,000 before it reached retirement. And on your excellent range, moment of hemisphere would seem acceptable accuracy.

Frugal Frank, frugal........

·
Registered
63 Posts
So... is this shoot on the actual post? I am working on one of my officer buddies here in Missouri. He's the land manager of all the Guard state ranges. I'm trying to pressure him to allow us to use the state (public) ranges. If it is on post please advise how you got to do it. We could always approach Ft. Leoard Wood too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For those who did not attend today's shoot, you missed a great one. Despite the forecast, the rain mostly held off (a few light, light sprinkles was it), the temperature was just about perfect, the sun wasn't beating down on you all day, and the range control guys did a terrific job of getting the range prepared before we got there. Frank doesn't get enough credit for everything he does in setting these shoots up, which is why they remain a hidden gem on the East Coast.

But being any kind of organized shoot, something has to act up for me and my Dad. Today we headed up with the same barrel and ammunition from the same lots that were giving us all kinds of trouble at Knob Creek last month. There we could shoot 400 yard laser beams, but only 50 at a time before we had to stop and clean out the chamber. As a result, we only went through about 1500 rounds at the Creek this time. Expecting the same today, the gun ran as close to perfect as it ever has. Same barrel, same ammo, roughly the same temperature, vastly different results. Ran through nearly 3000 rounds. Problem was that they lost stability at about 300 yards. We were able to hit the broadside of the mountain this time though, so the barrel was a little better. And we had another friend that was shooting into the forest of trees right in front of the line, and couldn't see evidence of the bullets, such as leaves and branches moving.....It apparently takes a great deal of talent to shoot the forest and miss the trees - much more than missing the mountain in my opinion.....:rofl:

For those who are or have been on the fence about this shoot, go. It's a great shoot and supports a great cause. :lol:

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts