1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didn't find it but my future father-in-law did. He bought a house from a family settling an estate. Lost of goodies came with it. Anywho, He came across some primed .30-'06 brass. A good bit of it is headstamped SL53. St. Louis Ordinance I presume. He wants to know if its safe to reload but I don't have experience loading .30-'06. Is there any measurements he can take to ensure the brass hasn't excessively stretchered or is too thin?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Size, trim and reload it. If not send it to me, I will gladly pay for the shipping. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Should be good brass - QC checks are mandatory- OAL, sizing and primer seating come to mind. I would take it too-

Story time -
I have a big bunch of Federal GMM 308 bass I sent off to be processed to reload, and whoever did it was not using a headspace gauge or something- as it will not chamber in any of my 308 rifles. I had to resize all of it.

·
11,677 Posts
Story time -
I have a big bunch of Federal GMM 308 bass I sent off to be processed to reload, and whoever did it was not using a headspace gauge or something- as it will not chamber in any of my 308 rifles. I had to resize all of it.

I would be furious. if anything like me, i would have left it all boxed up and gotten around to it a year or more later and then been SOL when i found out that it was out of spec

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
pretty much what happened - except is was several years later -
I would be furious. if anything like me, i would have left it all boxed up and gotten around to it a year or more later and then been SOL when i found out that it was out of spec

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Should have yellow primers and the primer pocket should be crimped I believe. If so its once fired and he should be good to reload it

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
All above good info. However...the best thing to check brass with is a cartridge head space gage. That will tell you if the brass is in spec,whether or not it needs to be trimmed and how well it was sized. I use head space gage's for every standard caliber and every rifle caliber,especially .50 BMG.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should have yellow primers and the primer pocket should be crimped I believe. If so its once fired and he should be good to reload it
The cartridge has been charged with a new primer. (Nickel/Chrome color)

All above good info. However...the best thing to check brass with is a cartridge head space gage. That will tell you if the brass is in spec,whether or not it needs to be trimmed and how well it was sized. I use head space gage's for every standard caliber and every rifle caliber,especially .50 BMG.
Any quick reference or link to what you refer to and how to use it? I still need to get to one of your classes.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Morning,...Might want to look up 'cartridge headspace gauge' on youtube. There are several videos showing how to use one. Stay safe...load up...
Len (L999here)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts