1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but last year I stumbled onto this on Ebay. The pictures were only four of them on the listing an it was obvious something was very bizzar and looked modified. But heck it was also interesting, I had been looking for the this Armorer's Tool Roll for about a year with no luck. I was just searching using the US canvas WW2 tool roll and looking though the hits. This time I entered the cage code and got this one listing.

I dont know all the history behind it, but Russ did thankfully send me some info about it several months before. I think it was mentioned that it was not specific only to the 1919a4 but I need to go back and review the info.

I had dug it out and took some picks. I'm mixed what to do with it. Keep it as a curiosity, I like the idea. Or try and cut the stitching to separate and restore it best I can. Best I can tell they stitched part of the 60mm morter/ammunition carrying vest to the front. Although it looks off it is well stitched. There is also an ammo can carrying vest I remember maybe similar. I doubt it was theater made, most likely a soldiers son was lugging it to grade school.

Have fun looking, and taking opinions on what I should do with it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've been looking for one of those armorers tool rolls too.
Did they cut the original tool roll any just stitch to it?
If the original roll is unharmed other than stitching, I'd pull that joker apart. It looks like the straps are from gas mask bags. Other people's opinion may vary.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On one side appears that some of the inner pockets were cut down in length ( look shortened) and the pipping removed? But the stitching lines and pocket swell diameters are still there and can be gauged. The other side is more complicated with I believe folder accessory pockets which have been cut off or removed. Some pockets are not in place so I guess the stitching was removed so the exact template is missing and maybe the piping too. I'm guessing its was to stitch in the shoulder straps? As for the full length with outline piping that is complete. The snap rivets look there except there could be a binding strap removed. It kind of looks like Kacki canvas not OD. I think the are supposed to be numbers on the pockets I dont see them but it could be faint. *Correction I do see some numbers. All these pictures turned out pretty bad.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick pic Tompsongunner. It would appear the bottom is intact fully. The top pockets were not cut down and have no pipping as I though, but 4/5 and the flap is missing. The adjacent pockets look cut shy or stitching removed from 4/5 accessory. The whole belt strap and buckle is missing but I think I can see the stitching location. Holly smokes this is mostly there. You made my day!

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I get the feeling you just found another rabbit hole to go down. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Russ will do. Been cleaning up from a shoot expected to have spurts of wet weather. Well, it spurted several times but rolled right out and was a great weekend. I used to be shy about pulling out my transferables if rain was coming even shooting under a covered position. But now I break it down grease the hell out of everything and its no problem no rust. It just takes three times as long to clean up when you get home. I Turned a #1 barrel into a #2 🤗

1 - 9 of 9 Posts