1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Gunboards.com I posted on the WTB section "WTB - J.C. Higgins 103.228 .22 Rifle" with the intention of giving it to one of my grandsons. About a month went buy and a guy by the name of James Ray emails me saying he had one and he'd like to sell it for $150 shipped. The price seems right based on previous sales on GB, GA and Armslist. He sent me some pictures of the gun and payment information which he says needs to go to his wife since she handles all his finances. I had this nagging feeling that something wasn't right so I ran his address (It didn't exist) Additionally he wanted the money send via MoneyGram. Dummy me had alarms going off in my head and I was just starting to get it. I checked images on Google and son of a gun, they are the same pictures from an auction in 2010. Finally I ran his name and low and behold this guy is in fact a scammer who visits sites and looks for items that people are looking to purchase. He finds some pictures on the internet of that item and sends it as if he has the item. The money, because it is sent MoneyGram is long gone and you're the one who is out. This guys name is

James Ray
103 Barefoot Ct
Colerain, North Carolina 27924

BE AWARE! because he seems to visit all sites that have a want to buy forum and he isn't only limited to gun forums. I almost got caught in this one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just googled that address to see if it was close to me. Holy cow he its everything from Tennis crap to luggage.
Sounds like something the Feds need to look into.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Have a friend who prosecutes white collar crimes for DOJ. Will pass this thread along to him. Outside his geographic boundaries, but he will know where to refer it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In the Counties land book the "James Ray 103 Barefoot Ct" also comes up with a Lot number, Might be a Mobile home park. Shows James and a Doris Ray there.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that he wanted the money sent to a Melissa Ray. Maybe from the lot number look at a satellite view and determine if it's a trailer park or vacant lot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts