1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

FS Roll of original greased yarn barrel packing material. Used for sealing water/barrel jacket. This came from the US Military and was found in waxed WWII style packaging. Could not read any data on the box as it was unreadable. Think it's .125 diameter but not positive.

Remember this is the original and made with the now known bad material

Asking 50.00 with shipping included
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455919072.166633.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
Good score Len this stuff has become very hard to find! Now all you need is one of the packing tools Dolf made I think Rick at BMG still has a couple and they are great if you have never used one. I think he made on for the Vickers as well.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
>Now all you need is one of the packing tools Dolf made......<

The packing compressing nuts were originally made by Forbes Mathews. Dolf did not make them. Others have copied the design and made some as well.

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
>Now all you need is one of the packing tools Dolf made......<

The packing compressing nuts were originally made by Forbes Mathews. Dolf did not make them. Others have copied the design and made some as well.
Bob you are correct I forgot Forbes made these does he have any left? I would grab a couple spares as they are handy as heck and a must have for any water cooled shooter.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yes I remember seeing them as well. Nothing could do the job like they would.
I too would be interested in a couple if there are any still available.
CaptMax

·
Registered
695 Posts
The packing tools are not to hard to make if you have a lathe with a taper attachment or offset the tail stock. You can knurl the od with a course knurl.

I believe you can still get packing material with the graphite oiled coating from McMaster-Carr. I have some I use on the steam engines for gland packing.
Steamer

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not mind getting a tool as well!

I wouldn't mind trading a roll for one!

I also ended up with a few more rolls from the same old guy this morning!

if someone else needs one same deal as above!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pm sent a

Future ones please pm me with payment preference it's easier for me to reply to pm today

Have couple more then out

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will take one if any more are available
Thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
6,037 Posts
I would not mind getting a tool as well!

I wouldn't mind trading a roll for one!

I also ended up with a few more rolls from the same old guy this morning!

if someone else needs one same deal as above!
Rick at BMG has some but I don't know how many? I will see if I can find some and post them up here.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts