1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items)" :pimp: ???

Carry On!
Gary
><

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The mill marks follow the shape of the island, pretty sure you can see the small radius where the island joins the plate in the third pic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
At first I thought the denial was riveted on, but the heat marks run as if it is a single piece. Not to mention after that island was riveted then welded, it wouldn't be that flat. There would be a separation somewhere down the length.
Dan

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Hi Guys

If I remember right it's this a OOW plate?
As far as I know OOW used a three island design which eliminates the need to thin the right side 'finger" on the lock frame.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Didn't the latest batch of plates that Wiselite made have the holes in them in those locations? Supposedly there for their "fixture"? I can't remember if they welded up the holes afterwords or not but I think that is a Wiselite plate.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Didn't the latest batch of plates that Wiselite made have the holes in them in those locations? Supposedly there for their "fixture"? I can't remember if they welded up the holes afterwords or not but I think that is a Wiselite plate.
Bingo, I believe this is exactly how the Wiselite plates were done. I remember being quite horrified when I first saw them, years ago. It displays a great lack of creativity and ingenuity in terms of how to fixture a plate and/or keep it from warping. I seem to recall these did have some warping issues too, some being a bit bowed.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
So what is the little notch in the top of the plate for?
Ah, hadn't noticed that. It appears that the area where the top cover fits is not milled, so that notch is the start of that profile, from the end of the top plate. From there to the feeday, it has to be milled down to spec.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would have countersunk both sides slightly then shoot a "double flush" rivet in it rather than heat it by welding. KevinT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts