1919 A4 Forums banner

GB post about shipping

4K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Kirby 
#1 ·
Claims UPS in the process of eliminating gun (???) shipping????????

Fed-Ex policy up for grabs too.......

PJH

#2 ·
News of this came out yesterday, the YouTube bloggers have their panties all in a twist about it. Of course stirring up the masses is how they generate business for themselves so I am waiting for further information before canceling my UPS account.

#3 ·
It's being spun up on all the gunboards. I seriously doubt it. At any given moment, UPS likely has hundreds of thousands of dollars in shipping fees for guns in transit. At best this is UPS refusing to ship questionable items from a questionable seller. And UPS can't seize anyone's property.

Not high on the list of things I'll lay awake worrying about.

#4 · (Edited)
Funny how news spreads now a days and folks get emotional and overreact without even knowing the facts. The fringe can literally read one headline from some unchecked source and treat it as gospel. I saw post after post this morning how everyone was canceling UPS accounts and such. I’ll continue to use UPS unless they get on board with the new BA parts ban.
Automotive tire Font Gas Fixture Bumper

#8 ·
Evidently some of this started back in May, this YouTuber posted a video on the subject 2 May 22.

He also points out that when he went to a different UPS store he had no problem shipping his item. Generally you will have an easier time shipping at a UPS Center than a UPS Store, they operate under slightly different rules since the UPS stores grew out of UPS' acquisition of Mailbox Etc. For example a center will accept firearm shipments where a UPS Store is not allowed to do so. The UPS Center counter reps also seem to be better informed when it comes to what is allowed and what isn't.

As several have mentioned above, all these stories so far have either been on forums or video blogger channels, nothing on a mainstream news source. I have also checked Brownell's website, this may change as soon as I post this but they still show UPS as a shipping option and there is notice of any changes in shipping on their website.

#10 ·
I had problems YEARS ago at a UPS store shipping an AR15 BBL. Just the BBL. I got in a heated debate with the owner and was told to take my business elsewhere. Months later my wife went to the same store and when they saw her shipping address (my address) they gave her a rash of $hit and interrogated her as to what she was shipping. Literally asked her 'are you shipping gun parts for your husband??'

Since then, when I go to UPS to ship anything and I have to describe what Im shipping, its always 'car parts'. As long as I know what Im shipping is legal and not controlled, all I ever tell them anymore is car parts.

#12 ·
Ok, this is the origin of all these shipping company letters to shippers.

"Five Democratic U.S. senators have asked 22 trucking and logistics companies and the country’s six Class 1 railroads to divulge firearms shipment data out of concern that security loopholes are contributing to rising gun violence.

In a letter sent on Thursday to the freight and parcel carriers — including J.B. Hunt, U.S. Xpress, Landstar System and UPS — the lawmakers, led by Ed Markey, D-Mass., said that gun sales and shipments have skyrocketed since the beginning of the pandemic as a result of exemptions provided to firearm manufacturers and dealers, also known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs)."

#13 ·
although not exactly the same, i started buying antiques guns back in 1999, stil doing so now
we run into many problems shipping these out, ( export) from the usa to europe
in the beginning we started using USPS surface mail int. ( by boat) later USPS stopped with this service and we could only use air .
Whenever i was in the usa myself, i also packed stuff and went over to differant postoffices with my buddy, we often had the problem that boxes we wanted to ship were refused because the customs form mentioned "antique rifle" ore similiar writing such as "antique winchester" etc. etc
the problem was simply because the people who were working at the postoffice just had no idee, that it was ok to send out pre 1898 weapons,
so it was just the lack of knowledge that made us leaving that postoffice and go to another one
often that worked out ok, because some indeed did know it was ok to accept such a package
these days we always refer to the ITAR regulations, and we write this on the outside of the boxes
ATF has good guidelines for this, so whenever we run across a USPS worker who does not understand, we ask him to check out their page...

Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms - National Firearms Act Definitions - Antique Firearm | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov)

#14 ·
Basic knowledge of ATF regs,USPS federal laws on HIS and your local PO make all the difference. My local PO station folks know me,my business and have been schooled on their own regs...by ME. After over 25-yrs of working with these folks,they seldom question me on package content. Common sense applies here.
As mentioned,the UPS,FedEx stations are all franchise owned type business's and frequently make their own rules,many of their owners are anti-gun,so guess why the difference between stations....?

#38 ·
Yesterday the option to have UPS ship your Brownells order was published on their web site.
Today that language is gone.
The APEX account rep for UPS is on vacation, so no idea what is going on with UPS.
APEX doesn't sell receivers, nor have we ever sold "80%" anything, so that may have an effect.
I guess we will find out next week.

Richard

#40 · (Edited)
So, this may have something to do with all that we are seeing:

New York AG Sues 10 National Firearm Distributors for Allegedly Selling ‘Ghost Gun’ Components

I would expect that part of the details of this case include the companies that shipped the packages for the named sellers.
In the text of the statement they mention knowing the size and weight of every package sent to New York by the 10 named firms.
Every package of a named size and weight is assumed to be 80% kit.
To obtain that info the shipping companies had to have received a subpoena for the data.

Does anyone have an link to the actual case filed by the New York State AG?

Richard

#42 ·
I think this piece of the puzzle explains the exterior motivation to UPS dropping a selection of E-Commerce vendors...

New York AG Sues 10 National Firearm Distributors for Allegedly Selling ‘Ghost Gun’ Components

The press release from the NY State AG. has more details... some info I suspect was already subpoenaed from the shipping companies (packages of a certain size and weight sent to NY zip codes by the named e-commerce companies)

Attorney General James Sues National Gun Distributors for Fueling Gun Violence Crisis and Endangering New Yorkers

The businesses named in Attorney General James’ lawsuit are among the nation’s leading gun distributors.
They include Brownells, Inc. (Brownells), Blackhawk Manufacturing Group (80 Percent Arms), Salvo Technologies, Inc. (80 P Builder or 80P Freedom Co), G.S. Performance, LLC (Glockstore), Indie Guns, LLC (Indie Guns), Primary Arms, LLC (Primary Arms), Arm or Ally, LLC (Arm or Ally), Rainier Arms, LLC (Rainier Arms), KM Tactical LLC, and Rock Slide USA, LLC (Rock Slide).

An investigation by the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) linked tens of thousands of shipments to New York addresses to these businesses dating back to 2017. Undercover OAG and New York City investigators were recently able to purchase unfinished frames online from three distributors, who shipped them into New York without serial numbers or a background check. Based on the weight and size of the packages sent to the undercover investigators, OAG has reason to believe tens of thousands of shipments sent by these businesses contain unfinished frames and receivers. Local, state, and federal laws prohibit the sale of unfinished frames and receivers

I hope someone find the details of the lawsuit published on-line.
I am thinking that the shipping companies are named and included as defendants.
New York city has a suit going too.
The state passed laws against "ghost guns" last year, so I am not sure why they went into records going back to 2017?

Richard

#44 ·
Reminds me of one exceptionally nosy employee at the FedEx/Kinko’s id occasionally ship from. Every single time I’d walk in with prepaid packages to drop off for FedEx Ground she would always ask what I’m shipping.
I got so fed up with her nosiness I finally told her “ A one pound box of none of your business”

I wouldn’t mind, my box labels all say Dental Laboratory and the recipients were all dental offices.….

Anyway, now back to your regularly scheduled kvetching….😉

#45 ·
Food for thought -
I am a government contractor and vehicle parts surplus dealer.
The US Government has been using a system whereby THEY issue a shipping label for UPS or Fedex for items they have purchased. For me, a lot of the time when I don’t have a pick up on a day when one of the government packages goes out, I drop it a one of several “shipping stores”. When the below policy went into effect, it caused several heated discussions at 3 different shipping stores / drop points I use, all of which ended with me giving them my QAR’s phone number and telling them it was none of their business what was in the box (per Government policy), the Government generated the label and if they wanted to know more, they could call the QAR. They no longer question me or my wife when we drop boxes off... ;)

Going back about 5 or more years ago, the Government (DLA) made a change to the outside label requirements for shipments, the “Case” label can no longer have a noun description of the part(s) inside. PN#, NSN Contract# all of that can stay, BUT NO Description. When I asked my QAR (Government Inspector) he said it was because of THEFT in the package carrier companies of weapons related material... Go Figure.... 😠

I wonder WHEN this latest round of nonsense will affect the Government???? AND the Warfighter!!

#46 ·
Not once in all the years I have had a FedEx account has anyone at the ship center ever asked me what was in the box. I walk in, say hello to whoever is behind the counter, hand them the package and walk out.

Where most issues seem to originate is at FedEx Office locations, easy enough to avoid by opening a FedEx account and printing all your shipping labels at your office or home. With One Rate boxes you can even skip buying scales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.