1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished prepping ~500 .357 Mag once fired cases. I cleaned, sized, de-capped, flared, and re-primed them (with Winchester primers). The Winchester cases were the most difficult to work with. They all had tight primer pockets and two cases would not fit into my Lee Auto Prime shell holder. One was nickel plated while the other was not. The Remington cases were filthy dirty with soot and crud. I checked and all were factory loaded with 125 gr JHP bullets. The Federal and PMC cases were consistently the nicest to work with. All the brass came from factory ammo that I fired over the past 30 years. They were fired in either a '77 Ruger Blackhawk or '61 Colt Python. I haven't shot my Python in over 15 years and recently rediscovered it. I almost forgot how much fun it was to shoot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's just the way some cases are. Some primer pockets need to be swaged a bit to get the primer in nicely. It has also been pointed out to me there are some variances in case dimension between manufacturers such as case wall thickness and rim thickness. Not every case is created equal :D

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Types of brass and opinion

Sold thousands of pieces of once fired brass before eBay divided I was evil. From the experience of cleaning, polishing, and sorting Federal always seemed the best quality, followed by Remington, with Winchester last of the majors. Weight per hundred was Federal heaviest, then R-P, and Winchester lightest.
From reloading commercial brass my choice is Federal, fewer issues maybe held to tighter tolerances? Other issues to consider are case volume, what was the brass last fired in, and how many times reloaded.
Fun to get out the toys that have been used in a while, of course then some other one gets time off.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Sold thousands of pieces of once fired brass before eBay divided I was evil. From the experience of cleaning, polishing, and sorting Federal always seemed the best quality, followed by Remington, with Winchester last of the majors. Weight per hundred was Federal heaviest, then R-P, and Winchester lightest.
From reloading commercial brass my choice is Federal, fewer issues maybe held to tighter tolerances? Other issues to consider are case volume, what was the brass last fired in, and how many times reloaded.
Fun to get out the toys that have been used in a while, of course then some other one gets time off.
Nice Python, I have an early 70's Trooper MK III which is a sort of Python wannabe, revolvers are my favorite usually you are the only one shooting one at the range. People look at you like they just stumbled on a dinosaur.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Python, I have an early 70's Trooper MK III which is a sort of Python wannabe, revolvers are my favorite usually you are the only one shooting one at the range. People look at you like they just stumbled on a dinosaur.
Thank you. While the Python does look nice, it will always be nothing more than a shooter -

I got it from a gunsmith in York Pennsylvania back in '80 for $225. That was just prior to my move to California. Other than the obvious, it has also been re-blued. All that said, it does have a great trigger, a tight lockup, and is very accurate.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awful close to my stomping grounds. Where did you call home back then?
At that time I had an apartment in York. I worked for Litton on Loucks Mill Road. Prior to that I worked for EDS in Camp Hill.

On weekends I would drive the back roads with my father all over PA looking for small gun shops that may have a Python in stock. Over the span for five years I picked up six NIB ones with various barrel lengths and finishes. I think the most I paid was $375. I actually had more fun just spending time and shooting the bull with my father.

·
Registered
529 Posts
At that time I had an apartment in York. I worked for Litton on Loucks Mill Road. Prior to that I worked for EDS in Camp Hill.

On weekends I would drive the back roads with my father all over PA looking for small gun shops that may have a Python in stock. Over the span for five years I picked up six NIB ones with various barrel lengths and finishes. I think the most I paid was $375. I actually had more fun just spending time and shooting the bull with my father.
It's a small world. My mothers side of the family was from York, Dads a couple townships north. There was a little gun shop up Rt. 74 in Dillsburg, Spotts Gunshop, that I used to hang around back then. It had 3 things going for it, 1: it was a gunshop, 2: they bought furs and I was an avid trapper, 3: he had a damn good looking daughter same age as me!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Kinda funny. About a month ago, I tripped over a 5 gallon bucket half full of 38 special and 357 brass. Dug out the wife's Security 6 snubby and my Dan Wesson wheel guns.

Went out and picked up several cans of Trail Boss and loaded up all the 38's as "mouse fart" loads (i.e. Super lite loads).

Wife loves the greatly reduced recoil of the mouse farts and wants more trigger time.

Luckily, I have a bud nearby running a Magnacaster...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda funny. About a month ago, I tripped over a 5 gallon bucket half full of 38 special and 357 brass. Dug out the wife's Security 6 snubby and my Dan Wesson wheel guns.
Went out and picked up several cans of Trail Boss and loaded up all the 38's as "mouse fart" loads (i.e. Super lite loads).
Wife loves the greatly reduced recoil of the mouse farts and wants more trigger time.
Luckily, I have a bud nearby running a Magnacaster...
I think I'll be loading some 155 gn LSWC "mouse fart" loads into that primed 357 brass after the Vikings game this afternoon. I have no clue when or where I bought those bullets. But, there they were, so a-loadin' I'll be doin'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts