1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good grief! Just looked at current ammo prices...think I’ll hang on to the 30,000 rounds I got. Was considering selling some....not.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Yup every election year I watch prices go nuts and say maybe I should sell some this time but then I slap myself and say SELF what the heck are you thinking.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have been selling off a little of my Russian surplus 54R and some Wolf brass case .223 as I just can't pass up the prices. When people are paying 3 and 4 times what I paid for it that makes it hard to say no.

Steve

·
11,678 Posts
If anyone wants to pay me a lot for 54r, x25, or any of there others I have a lot of, let me know!

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I have been selling off a little of my Russian surplus 54R and some Wolf brass case .223 as I just can't pass up the prices. When people are paying 3 and 4 times what I paid for it that makes it hard to say no.

Steve
Steve what is the 54r going for these days? I have a bunch and have not one guns that shoots that caliber.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Any more , when I sell off the last gun of a certain caliber and have no plans to get another , I sell the ammo during panics like this , save the money , and buy what I can use when the prices return to normal . I sometimes do the same with ammo for guns I have when overstocked .
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
WOW I bought a bunch cheap so may be it is time to move it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have been selling off odd lots of ammo - 45, 38 spec, 40 S&W, nd have been getting .50/rd. or better. .75 + /rd for 223. I feel a little bad but have guys thanking me because they simply cannot find it anywhere. Funny - because when the local Walmart was clearing out the assault ammo, I was buying the Win White box 45 for like $5 /box. I bought all they had, and had a cart full. Now that same ammo I am selling for $25-35/box of 50. I won't run low for personal use unless I have to supply the local militia platoon, and even then I have a lot of reloads available .

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I also have a tin of 54r and nothing that shoots it. I’m holding out for a buck a round. Will trade for 303 or 3006.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I kinda went the other way...I never bought much of the 54r when it was cheap because I only had a couple of guns that shot it and thought it would always be around....I only kept about 6000 on hand...Then I bought the SG43 and the DP28 and realized I did not have enough , but by then it was too late to get it cheap...So I sold the SG so I could feed the DP....Picked up a nice SVT with some the money...Have about 5000rd left , but once it's gone , so are the guns.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I reload over 20 cals already and the lack of brass / boxer primed cases in 54r ...Projectiles are another reason ....I have been scrapping 54r ammo for 303 projectiles.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm too chicken to sell any of mine. It was too hard to come by the first time. I buy all the reasonably priced surplus I can afford when I come across it. I hate to sell any, because I want my kids to be able to enjoy these guns after I am gone.
In my mind, this "drought" will never go away. Mil-surp ammo is finite. The modern production stuff will rebound.
I do reload as well, and I am glad of it. I have 15 or so calibers that I reload.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
just like the stock market, you cant get attached to ammo you bought cheap if you want to profit from it.

i haven't bought ammo in several years, but when I do it comes in on a freight truck and i unload it with a forklift.
I have funded the purchase of quite a few nice machine guns by selling off excess ammo that was bought right. Im not suggesting the days of .02 8mm or .05 54r will ever return but they were truly good times and were not that long ago.
will I ever have the chance to buy more cheap? Maybe. Will it be as cheap as before? Nope. is there any way I can shoot it all? Not remotely. Would I consider selling something I paid $2000 for in 2003 for $50000 today. Well yes, I would think so, and have on many occasions.
Im a gun collector, not an ammo collector. The ammo was bought to shoot and sell when the time is right.
Keep what you can realistically shoot, but dont ignore the opportunity cost of the ammo. Just because you bought it cheap doesnt mean thats all it is costing you to shoot it. You are sacrificing current market value when you shoot it and thats money that could further be spent on collecting real assets, not just burning money.
Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to take some profits in the ammo markets, especially when the sheep are running!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My dad called the LGS looking for 9mm. They had four boxes at $27 each.

Then he called the LGS by their winter home in FL. None in stock but some coming next week, $36 box

He bought the $27 stuff. Ouch!!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Jamann makes some great points, as for me I'm just too lazy to get off my rear end and try to sell any of the ammunition I have on hand. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts