1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i locate where to drill the hole for the right front cartridge stop that i got with my black bear rivets? also the kit i receaved already had the left side plate riveted and the rivets are flat not domed on the outside, should i do the rhsp the same way? or is domed the correct way?

well got it all togother today and took out for a test fire, out of 16 rounds about every other one wouldn't pull out of the link but when i opened and closed the cover and touched nothing it would function, then a couple times the spent round wouldn't fall out the slot in the bolt, i'm using remington umc 308 win 150 grain, i'm running the headspace 3 clicks after lock, and the bolt travel seems a little tight and spongey, the bolt won't travel on it's own unless pulled all the way back or fired, but i'm excited as hell that it fired :)

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
I guess it depends on which rivets your talking about, the only domed heads one are on the bottom plate and sometimes on the top plate, if your bottom plate on the left side does not have domed heads I would redo it because there is a good chance it may come loose otherwise.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
To locate the stop, assemble the receiver and clamp it to keep things lined up. File or turn a point on the rivet end of the round stop, then slide it into the .308 cartridge stop that came with your kit. Slide the .308 stop in place as far as it will go, then give the .308 stop a tap with a hammer and the pointed end of the round stop will leave a witness mark on the right side plate to indicate the center of the hole. Use a small punch at the witness mark to give yourself a center to drill.
Jon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea all the rivets (top and bottom plates) on the LHSP are flat, i wonder how it got assembled like this? and the cartridge stop i ended up putting a dab of white out on the end of the stop and it transferred a circle onto the RHSP that marked my hole location perfectly :) and i'm guessing the trunion has to be in place before the stop is riveted?

thanks all

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If you are using comercial ammo the OAL may be too short. This will cause the extractor to shove the Ctg. forward rarher than grasping it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What he said

If you were running commercial ammo, then that can account for a host of problems. OAL problems, failure to feed, rounds sticking in the bolt feed way slots, etc. Try to stay with military surplus of know good quality. It really sounds like your gun is going to function fine with the right ammo.
As for the left side riveting....many of the older guns have rivets that aren't what we'd now call domed head. They are actually pretty flat. There is nothing wrong with them. I personally would not replace them....heck you can only see one side of the gun at once anyway :rolleyes: It's not going to affect function so leave it alone. If it bothers you, and you want people on both sides of the coffee table to see the same type rivets.....then replace them. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coool cooool, yea i was foolin with the extractor and if the round was held all the way forward the extractor would miss and i ended up pressing the new rivets on the rhsp with a press to make match the flat ones on the lhsp, much easier :) thanks for all the help

on the headspace spring, i've ground it to match another post on here and the barrel can be moved without the aid of a screwdriver but you can feel the spring clicks, is this all right?

and where and what ammo is the best and cheap, the crankfire is next :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
"on the headspace spring, i've ground it to match another post on here and the barrel can be moved without the aid of a screwdriver but you can feel the spring clicks, is this all"

Yep, you got it. If you grind it to where its more pointy than triangular and bend it in a little bit it will work even better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it parked (actually flat black paint ;) ) looks jus as good next to the ar15 , got the chemicals but no tank or time, i got some south african ammo on order hopefully that will fix my probs :) the remington ammo measures 2.7195" OAL, anyone got some south african to measure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got my south african ammo in today and they are a little longer 2.7940" vs 2.7145" thats a little over a 1/16" hope that helps :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well got 20rds of south african ran threw it today and had no feed problems jus had to help the bolt back on every third one, it's like the return spring isn't heavy enough, it won't return the bolt by itself with the top cover open either, i've applied plenty of oil, and it feels smooth, no hard spots, jus it don't snap back like i feel it should, any more suggestions?

thanks a bunch mmf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i'm running it out 3 clicks and the brass looks great :) should the bolt snap back perty good when released even unloaded ?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Rivets are hard to detect when they rub slightly. Try some marking ink on the side of the bolt and slide it back and forth a few times. See if there are any scratches in the ink from slight rivet protrusions. I would also clean the slot in the bolt face to make sure shells can slide easily down the slot - maybe yours is just slightly crudded up from shooting. I have no idea how an open top plate could effect bolt movement. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok think i finally got it figured out, the rhsp was slightly warped making it tighter on the bolt, i couldn't see it tell i held a straight edge on the side, i used the bucking wedges to give it a slight tweaking and my rivets held :) before i would have let the bolt release on my finger but now hell no :) gonna try another test fire tommorow, the cows were wondering the woods behind my house so i held off for the night

another ? i know i seen somewhere on here a link catcher bag and is there a 20rd holder of some sort like on m60? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts