1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
After discovering this wonderful forum, I decided I want to build my own semi-auto 1919A4. Unfortunately, my personal finances will not allow me to do this very quickly. My question is, if am going to buy all the stuff over the course of SEVERAL months, what is the best order in which to buy the various components (parts kit, 80% RSP, and rivet set)? I am thinking that I should start with the RSP so I can quickly stamp it with a serial # and my info so I can sort of claim that it is already a gun (to be "grandfathered") if somehow these get banned. On the other hand, maybe parts kits are going to not be available for long. I am very ignorant of most of this, but I would like guidance. Please let me know what you think...

Thanks a lot,
Josh

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would buy the kit first. Ohio Ordinance Works has them for $299. Next i'd a buy a few extra barrels, probably from Coles Dist. IMO those are the things that will run out first, long before any outright ban comes along. An AA tripod might be a good idea - they're still pretty cheap. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Kits, over time, will become scarce or more expensive. Grab a good one while they are still available. The right side plate can be manufactured anytime, and you obviously won't have any parts to get machined until you get a kit. As was mentioned - keep your eye open for a good tripod. They are already getting scarce and expensive compared to what they once were.

Once you have the kit, you can take your time cleaning it up and preparing it for further work. And just plain getting familiar with it.

When it's time to shop for a side plate - pick a good one. There are probably still some cheap ones (Pegasus comes to mind) that might surface and seem like a good deal - but don't fall for it. A poorly made sideplate could get you injured or worse, so buy from a reliable source.

If you are not already aware of the Weaponeer site (www.weaponeer.net) you should check it out. Group buys can save you money on parts, machining, or anything else you might be searching for.

And don't feel bad about taking a long time to build. I had my kit for maybe three years before I had the free time to build it into a working gun. I probably had my sideplate (from Hedgehog) for at least a year before finishing it. But by the time I was able to assemble everything, I had already worked out every aspect of the job. I put it together, fired a few rounds, adjusted the headspace just a little, and have not had a jam or misfeed ever since.

·
Legendary Donor
1,668 Posts
build

and most importantly !! get a good semi-auto trig and sear assembly !! KMP is the best , i'm told...... of course i make em. so it's a fact !!shamless plug, but hey, thats bussiness. thanks. tomt:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
New Build

This is my opinion on a build sequence.

1. Buy the 1919A4 kit. The OOW kits for $299 and $399 are probably the best buy going. ($300)

2. Buy the SA Trigger and Sear fromn Tom T. The best there is! ($125)

3. Buy Black Bear Rivets. These are the best! ($40)

4. Buy the 80% sideplate from a Vendor recommended on this this Forum. ($130)

5. Either machine the internals youself for SA build, or have one of the Vendors recommended by this Forum to do the machining. ($120)

6. Buy Trunnion protector ($15)

7. Buy Links ($65)

8. Buy some spare Barrels from Cole's. ($40 ea.)

9. Buy spare parts like; Extractor, Extractor Spring, Firing Pin, Sear Spring, Bolt Recoil Spring, etc. ($100)

10. Buy MG3 AA Tripod & Adapter, or buy a nice tripod (you could make one from wood or steel that would work fine. ($175 or less for MG3 AA) ($600 for M2)

11. Assemble after step 7. (You do work - Sort of free?)

12. Have finish applied, either parkerizing or paint. ($120 parkerizing or $20 for epoxy type paint)

13. Test fire and have fun (priceless)

14. Crank unit ($225 to $350)

14. Ammo purchases must be done anytime and buy all you can get! ($165/K +shipping) By the way, with a crank unit and loaded belts, you can shoot the 1K up REAL quick, so you will need a LOT.

OK, you will have anywhere from $1500 to $2300 according to what you buy and how much work you can do for yourself. The lowest you can build the gun for is about $900, or you can buy the gun from Allied Armament completed for a few dollars more. If you eventually want everything including belts, belt loaders, you can add another $350 up to $1400. In conclusion, you can get many thousands of dollars tied up in this hobby, but get the gun and a shooting platform first and then start adding all the accessories.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
If you want to get started building as soon as you can, but maybe don't have the cash to quite get it running then think about this. You don't need anything but the parts set, a rsp and a set of rivets to build 90% of this gun. You don't need any internals milled or a trigger and sear right away to get started.

If the bug has bit you and you'd like to start working on the project to have some fun then just get those three items and start building...you can get the internals milled later and buy the other stuff to get it functioning as cash becomes available.

You can build a fully operational gun with hand tools and if you have plenty of time just use a grade 8 bolt instead of buying riveting bucking bars and just use a hammer and a $12 rivet tool to set the rivets. If you've got a hand drill, some bits, a hammer, clamps, etc you can build your gun. You don't need a drill press or hydraulic press or any other stationary equipment...back in the paleontolic era (I know it ain't spelled right and I don't feel like looking it up) all we had was a rock hammer and T-Rex teeth for drill bits and a Flintstone foot powered car to go to the range. Yeah, it will take you longer, but by the time you get the receiver together with just those three items you'll probably have the cash to finish her off.

To test fire on a budget, or all day long for that matter, buy a pintle (tomt sells them) and a 9/16"x3-1/2" bolt to attach the pintle to the gun, drill the correct size hole in a piece of 2x8 wood, put a slip key in the pintle groove to hold it to the wood, carry a couple good C clamps to the range and clamp it to a table and have fun...if you live out on the prairie then drill a hole in a fence post or your step bumper...tripod or A6 kit can come later.

Just my .02.

BTW, did anyone mention that tomt makes a pretty good trigger setup :). With Emory's Crankfire and a big gob of grease on the disconnector I've pounded his trig pretty good and haven't busted it yet, but Lord knows I keep trying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I stretched my build out over a long period of time. I got the kit first, and would pick up odds and ends along the way. An A6 thing here, a rivet set there, trigger and sear, etc... Having the kit first, at least you can mock it up and look at it longingly. Mine sat on an old dresser in the "war room" for the longest time. It also gives you time to fiddle with it to understand the workings and to read the tutorials over and over.

I just recently got mine together. I used a piece of 1/2" key stock cut to length to make a buck for my rivets. It worked well, although I could only do one rivet at a time. I tried the same technique for the upper rear rivets, and it kept popping out. There really wasn't a good way to clamp it. What I ended up doing was taking 2 pieces of the same keystock about 6 inches long, and sandwiching a large washer between them at one end...basically making a wedge. I drove this in between the upper rivets, and was able to get a good hold with a clamp. Then I set them.

I tried using a muffler gun to set some of my rivets, but found I could actually do a better job using a hammer. I used the Black Bear rivets, and found that they really weren't that hard to set with a hammer (including the large trunnion rivets). I would recommend getting some extra rivets to play around with. Luckily, the Black Bear set has enough to do both sides of the bottom plate, as I ended up drilling out some that I wasn't happy with and redoing them.

The actual act of putting it together went alot quicker than I thought. There are alot of good folks here to answer questions and to give advice. Good luck with your project and have fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again, everyone. I will certainly buy my parts kit first and will follow all the wise advice above for subsequent steps. Thanks especially, Bill S, for the pointer to weaponeer.net (I was not aware of the sight), and Abwehr, loboslanding, and wandering_ronin for all the detailed advice. This is a wonderful forum!

Josh

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Josh,

This is the only place to find good info on the 1919A4. The folks here are the best I have found on ANY Forum for helping others! We are here to help you have fun building and shooting this fine weapon.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I really like this forum and have been checking it pretty regularly. I picked up an Ohio Ordnance parts kit for 299 and am very pleased with it. It is complete in every detail including a bolt hold open bar. The only thing I dont 'have have is the 30.06 front cartridge stop. Sarco has those.

I stopped by Ohio Rapid Fire and picked up an engraved plate and KMP Trigger, sear and spring. I got a t and e, pintle, and tripod from Coles that is immaculate. In fact, I dont' think it was ever used. It is in the original parkerizing, and is pristine with all markings.

It has taken me about 6 months to accumulate all this stuff with a total investment so far just under 1,200. I believe that price is extremely reasonable. The M2 tripod is nearly half that price. Fortunately I have all the tools I need to build and machine all the parts.

I have not been in a hurry to build, and just taking my time researching and checking and researching some more. My 80 year old retired tool and die maker dad is machining the parts for me. Bless his heart, he had a mild heart attack and is going in for bypass surgery. I told him to forget my parts and I'd come get em. He said..."NO WAY, you leave them and I'll get to em when I get out!!!".

If you know my Dad, then you know its no use arguing. He said it may take a little longer, but he wants to do it. I know the parts will be done perfectly.

I recount all this as a way of saying that its a nice feeling to know that the venerable old 1919a4 generates such passion in folks. It is a classic firearm that my dad used in WWII, I familiarized with in Viet Nam and during Gulf War 1 actually saw the Izzys put to use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts